Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Don't Buy!!!
By jackieevilla12

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First off, there is a recall on the ignition switch that is highly dangerous. I bought my car 6 months ago, 68,000 miles on it, and it seemed to be in great condition. I got the ignition switch replaced by the GM dealership, and 2 months after that the car started having problems. Right now I'm still not sure if it is the battery being drained or if the alternator went out. The car itself is still in great condition and should NOT be having this problem. The first time the battery was drained, nothing on the vehicle was working. Not the remote, not the break pedal, and on top of all that, the key was stuck in the ignition and wouldn't come out until i got a jump start.

Favorite Features

Breaks are good, steering is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

It defiantly should not have been put on the market. Faulty ignition switch, and what ever is causing my brand new battery to fail when nothing is being left on should also be improved.

Cobalt 2008
By cobalt_08

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '08 Lt Sedan (4a) in Sept 2011 with 58000 km's on it, like brand new, and fully equipped! Almost two years and 40000 km later I'm still impressed with my Cobalt. The 2.2l engine is very quiet, yet performs flawlessly. I avg around 600km per tank, barely any road noise, sound system is good. Reliable on the highway and good performance during Canadian Winters. The interior is plain, nothing fancy. The ''info'' center is great as you can scroll though Oil Life, Gas Mileage, Outdoor temp. etc... all in all, a great car if your looking for something non-fancy but will get you from A-B.

Favorite Features

The spoiler is invaluable when it come's to parking and giving the car a sportier look. Radio controls on the steering wheel are very handy.

Suggested Improvements

In exchange for a sunroof I have no interior lights for the passengers behind. The back seats have very limited space, even with the front seats brought forward. The brake pedal has a spongy feel to it, but still gets the job done. The front suspension is very stiff. Have a few concerns with the Cruise control, such as quick and sudden jerks when accelerating up hills, causing slight loss of traction. Upgrade the headlight stock bulbs after buying, as they are quite weak for night time driving.

DONT BUY ONE!
By hannahhhx3

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt used about nine months ago. So far, two of the tires have blown up while driving, the brakes are already bad, two speakers have blown out, the whole computer system is shot, all the tire moniters have gone bad, my flex pipe coming from the manifold is bad(costing $925.53 just for the replacement part), all the locks in the car have stopped working, one headlight has cracked and water is all inside of it, and last but not least, the exaust system has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Half of the time my car locks up when you try to cut it on, and the key gets stuck in the ignition. There was already a recall for the power steering, but that is currently not even a problem.

Favorite Features

I like the MPG, and the car is fun to drive, When you can actually drive it....

Suggested Improvements

Everything. This car has had WAY too many problems to be worht the 12,000 I paid for it. My suggestion, do not even consider a chevy cobalt.

Miss my Kobe
By ubbenunited

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '08 Cobalt (2.2, 4A) in Sept. '09 as my first car (40k miles). LT package and badging, but much nicer than what the LT lists. I got heated leather seats, premium sound, sunroof, spoiler, foglamps, the whole deal. Put 12k-ish miles on it before it got totaled by a hit-and-run while parked in front of my house (got 11,400 for it and put that down on an '08 Malibu LTZ). The brakes were starting to go at 50k (vibration under hard braking from highway speed), but it got wrecked before I had to have them done. I didn't think anything bad of the interior (nothing to compare it to), but it was a solid car and got me where I needed to go while still having fun. Not flashy, but reliable.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, sunroof, white-face gauges (usually a Sport option), steering wheel audio/cruise controls, the kickin' sound system, excellent fuel economy (averaged 25.1 for the time I had it - probably 60/40 split city/highway). Best tank was 90% highway - 31.5 mpg. I never got to ride in the back, but I fit more than comfortably in the rear seat when the driver's seat was adjusted for me (6'1").

Suggested Improvements

Rear seats can only be folded by releasing the latch - from inside the truck. Walk around the car, open trunk, pull latch, walk back around, fold seat down. The shoulder-level release on my '08 Malibu is the arrangement I was expecting. There were times I wished for the 260-hp SS version, but that wasn't in my budget at buying time.

Comfortable
By Jabel

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first new car straight from the dealer. I wanted to get many options without shelling to much money. I have all the options with a low monthly plan. I had some trouble in the beginning like a leaking windshield, alarm kept ringing, and unbalanced. I find the car very comfortable, reliable and the sound system is quiet nice. For the price I'm paying I find it satisfactory.

Favorite Features

Sound system, interior/exterior design, comfort, steering

Suggested Improvements

Tiny rust spots on the body after the first winter. Cannot turn on recycled air circulation without the use of the AC.