Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Biggest Mistake Ever
By backb

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I thought it would be a good first car, and it was okay, but anything but okay. The day after I got it home it started grinding going to fourth gear every shift and I know how to shift so it wasn't me, and the front speakers didn't work. Took it back into the dealership next day and they had to rebuild third and fourth gear, and put new speakers in. A year later had to go back in for more transmission work because it was hard to get into second, come to find out, second and fifth gear were shot. suspension sounding like it was falling apart on bumps, and hitting brakes made steering wheel shimmy. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on this car, so glad I traded it in.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Nicer material.

Six years, Too long, Never again.
By sanwich

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it with 3 miles, It was good on gas, Never should of traded my truck for it. I will start this with how big of a P.O.S this car is and build like so.. 2 days in the Door panels get ripped off by other Interior pieces. 3 months in the trunk no longer latches properly, 4 months random shifting times (lag to shift up or fail to shift down when needed). 6 months all Cobalts reduced to 9995 after I paid 15,995 for mine lol.. Speakers, stuts, Exhaust, and hood prop failures.. and then All the recalls started. "faulty ignition switch linked to 33 crashes and 13 deaths" No thanks, I have since traded and only got 5k for it

Favorite Features

Gas thats the only great thing about these cars. I went from Missouri to Arizona and back on about 270 bucks.

Suggested Improvements

GM, needs to go back to the drawing board. STOP making cash cows and make quality. Add a transmission dip stick or even a place to add fluid to. Stop hiding batteries, and get rid of all the sealed crap like trans and power steering

Stay away if you want to live.
By addybabyface

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in September w/ 40,000miles. Every month starting a week after I bought it, it flashed "low engine power," I went from going 70mph on the free way with my speed dropping dramatically when I was in front of a semi truck. I've taken it in about 8x for this problem, 5 different part have been put in yet low engine power keeps coming up at the worst times. I'm scared to even drive my car. My car keeps telling me to check my air bags yet when I take it in there fine. Three different shops and the chevy dealer to looked at my car. Its a money pit. I'm now having to trade it in take a loss and buy a new car. But I feel karma will come back at me when someone else buys it.

Favorite Features

Seat belts, the only thing that will keep you safe in the death trap. Since not even the air bags work 100% of the time.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the engine, everything about it. It speeds up badly and drops its speed at the worst times. Air bags, since they suck. The least of my worries, the truck space. The hole is small and hard to fit things in.

Good car for the $$
By Chevy loyal

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Cobalt new in 2008. Got a great deal & are very happy. We had one thing wrong with the mirrors when we first got it but taken care of quick and easy. Our cobalt is a manual & we get about 34-37 mpg on the highway, 30-33 in city. (depending on who is driving). Overall a good car, just not a lot of room in the back seat.

Favorite Features

gas mileage & trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

more leg room in the back

I'm back (2 years later)
By cragman1

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Third review from me on my '08 Cobalt base LS w/automatic. Most owners probably either sell or trade 2 yr old cars nowadays. Which is my reason for a 3rd review. Since buying this in Jan of '08, we've seen Toyota go through their inevitable fall from grace, and Honda's numbers are down as well - no doubt due to lack of interest from generation X, Y, or is it Z by now? Either way, once we have all small cars starting to look like Scions or Mazdas, I'd swear it's starting to look like a science fiction movie version of The Stepford Wives - only done in a small car theme! ;~0 . Anyway, I still have my '08 white Cobalt with nifty round red taillights and it still purrs along nicely!

Favorite Features

Looks. Ride. Driver space (coupe). Acceleration and shift predictability of the auto trans. Always shifts when you want or expect it to, even on fast cornering! Sound system great.

Suggested Improvements

Don't change this car into that cookie- cutter new model I've seen on the internet. What's next? Making the Vette look like a Subaru?