2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
My colbalt
By carm7sig on 03/13/12 21:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car. But my heated seats went out at 63,000 miles? When i brake hard going down the mountain it feels like its going to fall apart in the front. my Passenger side door lock doesn't work. The chrome is peeling of the interior door latch. Should of got a Kia. If u r going to buy this car keep looking. And if you got to have it test drive the hell out of it. Cause it sounds like some are good and some are not so good. oh and my cruise control works when it wants and my RF tire sensor goes in and out. and other weird problems with my electrical.

If you are considering buying this, DON'T.
By henniferx3 on 11/14/11 17:21 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Complete waste of money.So bad I probably won't buy a chevy EVER again. I bought my 08 cobalt at the end of 08, it had 29000 miles on it, bought it for $9300..the carfax said it was in the shop for minor electrical problems, and I had just figured they were all gone because it got fixed. WRONG. About 2 months after owning this car, my power steering went out. Next, my ignition and gear shifter. Then one day when I was driving the locks started locking and unlocking very fast and since then all the buttons including for the windows quit working. Not to mention I have ONE speaker out of 6 that works now. Theres just too much to type. Battery dies for NO reason..All electrical problems.

Don't Buy This Car
By mightymouse4 on 04/20/11 10:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So I baught this car brand new, needing something good on gas. It's great on gas, getting 36 mpg on the HW, but after owning it only 2 years, it is falling apart! I do all the maintance, change the oil before it's do, and treat it good, but it was a huge mistake. I've had to do the front brakes twice, replace the rotors twice, have the door adjusted, put shocks, ball joints, and a Clutch! Even the dealer told me the clutch is poorly designed, and I'm luckly it lasted that long. Now there is some kind of cluncking in the front, and it's not the struts! I'm working one it every other weekened, and it's only an 08! Oh, by the way, GM does not cover a cluth on the power train warantee!

More improvements than features
By BRIAN on 05/03/10 19:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I wanted to downsize from a mini van thinking I would save on gas.Big mistake my mini van got better gas mileage than this car.the car does have good acceleration good steering, turning for a 2.2 liter but the gas part not so good.I do a lot of highway driving so i needed a car with good gas mileage.also it doesn't have a lot of leg room i have 2 kids and it's really tight ride. unfortunately this car doesnt have a high resale value so i didn't get much when i traded it in

A Disaster in Navy Blue
By emily207 on 04/23/10 05:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Never in my life have I had such an experience with a car. I traded a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire for my 2008 Cobalt, and within months, wanted the Sunfire back. The major issue I had with this car was the lock cylinder. Eventually, I had to have the car towed out of my garage because the key simply wouldn't turn in the ignition. It sat in the shop for a month. I got it back in the middle of January, was rear-ended two days later, and got stranded in a parking lot three days after that when the key wouldn't turn AGAIN. I was completely fed up with the Chevrolet experience and traded it for a 2006 Jetta. I think a person is supposed to be sad to see a car go, but I was HAPPY.

Leave it on the lot!
By LucySue8780 on 03/20/09 13:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt and 11 days later, it was in the shop.I have had the car 15 months, and it has been in the shop 6 times for manufacture defects. Just this week, the lock cylinder broke. It's a good thing I was at work and not stuck in a dim parking lot at night.The steering column, the shift assembly, and the lock cylinder have all been replaced. I am waiting on the new radio to come in, which will actually be the 4th radio. The blinkers and front speakers will not work right if your radio is messed up. Very bad blindspots, when trying to look over your shoulder. Poorly designed overall.Fuel mileage, not that great. Brakes don't last.Chevy, quit making this piece of junk! It's not reliable!!!!!!!

Great car for price, needs work
By Brittany on 12/10/08 06:58 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. For being a young female it's great, a lot better than my old Escort. It does need a little help though. I don't have a lot of rear seat passengers but they could've given the rear more leg room. Very roomy in front. Only problem I'm having is with the brakes. Yes, after 6500 miles the rotors got warped. Composite rotors with semi metallic pads don't combine well. It's a nice little car for me, rides smooth (other than the brake issue), good on gas and comfy for a tall person like me. Decent style outside for the price. I paid for what I got. Not much to complain about with it.

Unbelievable Value
By Tomster on 09/21/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Given the extremely low sticker price, I don't see how anyone with reasonable expectations could be disappointed with a Cobalt. I bought my LS 4 Dr Sedan with auto tranny on June 3, 2008. The sticker price was only $15,530, with the auto tranny and the spoiler being the only options. There was also a $2000 rebate at the time. I cannot believe what a sweet little car that Cobalt has turned out to be, especially considering the low sticker price. I bought the car purely for fuel economy, but I ended up with a car that is really fun to drive. It has amazing acceleration for a gas sipper, a quiet ride, a huge trunk, good handling, and great looks. I am totally pleased with this car!

Disappointed
By Disappointed on 09/08/08 07:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car to drive to work and school. Bought it brand new. Previously owned a Chevy Lumina for many years. I think the best indicator in do you really like your car is, Would you buy it again? My answer to this one is an absolute NO. I disliked this car so much that after two months of owning and 3000 miles later, I traded it in on a used Subaru. The Cobalt is just another version of the Yugo. At least that's how I felt when driving. Everything in the Cobalt looks and feels cheap, like it wasn't very well thought out. My new line is "I would rather drive a used Subaru than a brand new Cobalt."

2008 Cobalt XFE Sedan comments
By john weiss on 08/22/08 10:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have only put on 2100 miles and am pleased with how the vehicle runs and the fuel mileage. It is the basic lowest cost Cobalt XFE sedan with air and manual tranny. At 75mph average on the freeway, it will deliver 34 mpg +/- 3mpg depending on with the wind or against. Has turned in 39.7mpg on 160 mile trip driving at 60 mph on freeway. Vehicle was purchased as a run around unit with trips not longer than 3 hours thus comfort (i.e. as in our Town & Country Van) was not a priority. It has fairly predictable handling with a quiet ride and is not buzzy as was found with some small foreign vehicles in this size.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.