2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Six years, Too long, Never again.
By sanwich on 06/16/14 01:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it with 3 miles, It was good on gas, Never should of traded my truck for it. I will start this with how big of a P.O.S this car is and build like so.. 2 days in the Door panels get ripped off by other Interior pieces. 3 months in the trunk no longer latches properly, 4 months random shifting times (lag to shift up or fail to shift down when needed). 6 months all Cobalts reduced to 9995 after I paid 15,995 for mine lol.. Speakers, stuts, Exhaust, and hood prop failures.. and then All the recalls started. "faulty ignition switch linked to 33 crashes and 13 deaths" No thanks, I have since traded and only got 5k for it

Stay away if you want to live.
By addybabyface on 03/25/14 18:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in September w/ 40,000miles. Every month starting a week after I bought it, it flashed "low engine power," I went from going 70mph on the free way with my speed dropping dramatically when I was in front of a semi truck. I've taken it in about 8x for this problem, 5 different part have been put in yet low engine power keeps coming up at the worst times. I'm scared to even drive my car. My car keeps telling me to check my air bags yet when I take it in there fine. Three different shops and the chevy dealer to looked at my car. Its a money pit. I'm now having to trade it in take a loss and buy a new car. But I feel karma will come back at me when someone else buys it.

Great Car.
By markb873 on 08/17/13 19:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2008 Cobalt at 77,000 miles in the summer of 2011. Just rolled over 100,000 miles. Had a few common problems. Transmission had to be rebuilt under GM Powertrain, both front speakers failed, lower control arms. This is all things I would expect with a disposable GM vehicle. I noticed in the snow that maintaining a proper alignment was key to driving straight, and adjusting the rear brakes was key to stopping. The paint still looks brand new even after $4,000 of paintless dent removal. The car has always been dependable and I don't plan to trade mine in.

Cobalt 2008
By cobalt_08 on 04/15/13 22:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '08 Lt Sedan (4a) in Sept 2011 with 58000 km's on it, like brand new, and fully equipped! Almost two years and 40000 km later I'm still impressed with my Cobalt. The 2.2l engine is very quiet, yet performs flawlessly. I avg around 600km per tank, barely any road noise, sound system is good. Reliable on the highway and good performance during Canadian Winters. The interior is plain, nothing fancy. The ''info'' center is great as you can scroll though Oil Life, Gas Mileage, Outdoor temp. etc... all in all, a great car if your looking for something non-fancy but will get you from A-B.

Run Far Away!
By zwiama90 on 01/07/13 05:37 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I can without a doubt say this is the worst car I've ever owned. I'm trading it in after a year of having it and couldn't be happier. It has been on a hoist more times than I can count. My boyfriend is a mechanic and is just disgusted working on it once a month. Before I met him I spent $1000+ just in 2 months of having it. The quality is so bad and the car shifts rough. Endless transmission problems that chevy won't fix. Front suspension falling apart at 60,000 miles, bad multi function switch, steering column issues, engine randomly revs in cruise control, and too many more to list. I got stuck trading a grand prix in for this HUGE mistake. Stay away from these "throw away" cars.

DONT BUY ONE!
By hannahhhx3 on 11/15/12 05:19 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt used about nine months ago. So far, two of the tires have blown up while driving, the brakes are already bad, two speakers have blown out, the whole computer system is shot, all the tire moniters have gone bad, my flex pipe coming from the manifold is bad(costing $925.53 just for the replacement part), all the locks in the car have stopped working, one headlight has cracked and water is all inside of it, and last but not least, the exaust system has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Half of the time my car locks up when you try to cut it on, and the key gets stuck in the ignition. There was already a recall for the power steering, but that is currently not even a problem.

My colbalt
By carm7sig on 03/13/12 21:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car. But my heated seats went out at 63,000 miles? When i brake hard going down the mountain it feels like its going to fall apart in the front. my Passenger side door lock doesn't work. The chrome is peeling of the interior door latch. Should of got a Kia. If u r going to buy this car keep looking. And if you got to have it test drive the hell out of it. Cause it sounds like some are good and some are not so good. oh and my cruise control works when it wants and my RF tire sensor goes in and out. and other weird problems with my electrical.

Miss my Kobe
By ubbenunited on 01/19/12 19:45 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '08 Cobalt (2.2, 4A) in Sept. '09 as my first car (40k miles). LT package and badging, but much nicer than what the LT lists. I got heated leather seats, premium sound, sunroof, spoiler, foglamps, the whole deal. Put 12k-ish miles on it before it got totaled by a hit-and-run while parked in front of my house (got 11,400 for it and put that down on an '08 Malibu LTZ). The brakes were starting to go at 50k (vibration under hard braking from highway speed), but it got wrecked before I had to have them done. I didn't think anything bad of the interior (nothing to compare it to), but it was a solid car and got me where I needed to go while still having fun. Not flashy, but reliable.

If you are considering buying this, DON'T.
By henniferx3 on 11/14/11 17:21 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Complete waste of money.So bad I probably won't buy a chevy EVER again. I bought my 08 cobalt at the end of 08, it had 29000 miles on it, bought it for $9300..the carfax said it was in the shop for minor electrical problems, and I had just figured they were all gone because it got fixed. WRONG. About 2 months after owning this car, my power steering went out. Next, my ignition and gear shifter. Then one day when I was driving the locks started locking and unlocking very fast and since then all the buttons including for the windows quit working. Not to mention I have ONE speaker out of 6 that works now. Theres just too much to type. Battery dies for NO reason..All electrical problems.

awesome when it starts
By goin2bluoval on 08/10/11 14:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2008 cobalt sport sedan looks great...I get 37 to 52 mpg inst...this car has a ignition problem that GM ignores. Summer days are worse for this car, you can turn the key constantly, over an over or leave it until the steering column cools off, then it will start...thus, this is not a family car. Its only for going staight to work and back. Do not buy a cobalt. Auto trans.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.