Used 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Biggest Mistake Ever
By backb

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I thought it would be a good first car, and it was okay, but anything but okay. The day after I got it home it started grinding going to fourth gear every shift and I know how to shift so it wasn't me, and the front speakers didn't work. Took it back into the dealership next day and they had to rebuild third and fourth gear, and put new speakers in. A year later had to go back in for more transmission work because it was hard to get into second, come to find out, second and fifth gear were shot. suspension sounding like it was falling apart on bumps, and hitting brakes made steering wheel shimmy. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on this car, so glad I traded it in.

Great gas mileage

Nicer material.

An okay car with a few flaws..
By danielsmith85

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say my Cobalt has been a pretty good car in terms of reliability. There's been a few problems but I've had most of them were fixed by my local dealership. At 23,000 miles my power steering pump quit while merging on the interstate, lol wonderful right? (Replaced under warranty) At 51,000 miles my radio would randomly turn off and start working again when it wanted to. (Replaced by GM under warranty) And my door speakers would only work when it's warm outside. (I just had new ones installed from Best Buy.) But besides these things the car has been great. It's fun to drive and has a lot of pep for a 4 cylinder. It's great on trips and I plan to have it for many years to come.

awesome gas mileage, and performance.

The interior could use a little improvement. Trim scratches real easily.

Don't Buy!!!
By jackieevilla12

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First off, there is a recall on the ignition switch that is highly dangerous. I bought my car 6 months ago, 68,000 miles on it, and it seemed to be in great condition. I got the ignition switch replaced by the GM dealership, and 2 months after that the car started having problems. Right now I'm still not sure if it is the battery being drained or if the alternator went out. The car itself is still in great condition and should NOT be having this problem. The first time the battery was drained, nothing on the vehicle was working. Not the remote, not the break pedal, and on top of all that, the key was stuck in the ignition and wouldn't come out until i got a jump start.

Breaks are good, steering is excellent.

It defiantly should not have been put on the market. Faulty ignition switch, and what ever is causing my brand new battery to fail when nothing is being left on should also be improved.

Six years, Too long, Never again.
By sanwich

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it with 3 miles, It was good on gas, Never should of traded my truck for it. I will start this with how big of a P.O.S this car is and build like so.. 2 days in the Door panels get ripped off by other Interior pieces. 3 months in the trunk no longer latches properly, 4 months random shifting times (lag to shift up or fail to shift down when needed). 6 months all Cobalts reduced to 9995 after I paid 15,995 for mine lol.. Speakers, stuts, Exhaust, and hood prop failures.. and then All the recalls started. "faulty ignition switch linked to 33 crashes and 13 deaths" No thanks, I have since traded and only got 5k for it

Gas thats the only great thing about these cars. I went from Missouri to Arizona and back on about 270 bucks.

GM, needs to go back to the drawing board. STOP making cash cows and make quality. Add a transmission dip stick or even a place to add fluid to. Stop hiding batteries, and get rid of all the sealed crap like trans and power steering

Stay away if you want to live.
By addybabyface

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in September w/ 40,000miles. Every month starting a week after I bought it, it flashed "low engine power," I went from going 70mph on the free way with my speed dropping dramatically when I was in front of a semi truck. I've taken it in about 8x for this problem, 5 different part have been put in yet low engine power keeps coming up at the worst times. I'm scared to even drive my car. My car keeps telling me to check my air bags yet when I take it in there fine. Three different shops and the chevy dealer to looked at my car. Its a money pit. I'm now having to trade it in take a loss and buy a new car. But I feel karma will come back at me when someone else buys it.

Seat belts, the only thing that will keep you safe in the death trap. Since not even the air bags work 100% of the time.

Fix the engine, everything about it. It speeds up badly and drops its speed at the worst times. Air bags, since they suck. The least of my worries, the truck space. The hole is small and hard to fit things in.