2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2007 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

Will NEVER own another
By custard-goddess

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Before I had a 2001 Chevy Cavalier, that had reached 225,000 miles. I thought that the Cobalt would be comparable to the Cavalier boy was I wrong. I love the style of the car very cute inside and out. The features are amazing XM, MP3 jack, remote start, but the quality leaves much to be desired. I have had to fix so much on it in two years broken tail light after two weeks of ownership, squeaky sunroof, loose seat fabric, breaks and rotors replaced(only after 15,000 mi),left control arm, radio buttons stopped working, and BOTH remotes to my car are broken.

Favorite Features

I love the look of the car I still think it is incredibly cute. I love all the available features and it drives well. It is a wonderful gas saver I average 29 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Quality improvement! Is my only suggestion. I feel that it has had way too much wrong with it to only be 2 years old, it has been in the shop far more than the cavalier ever was. I baby my car and treat it like a god and yet it continues to break.

07 Cobalt LS 5sp updated
By ken

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is an update from my 9/13/07 post. This is a great little car. Fuel economy is 34 to 36 on my mostly highway commute at about 60 mph. Got 40 mpg on trip once. Seats are still comfortable. Shifting is not as crisp as when new. Never been back to dealer for any warranty service. Oil change is super easy with the front cartridge filter and oversize filler cap. Tires will need to be replaced before next winter.

Favorite Features

Size, fuel economy, great AC and heat, auto lights, good radio, good power. Price: I only paid 10.5K and if gas goes up again this summer as usual it will be worth almost what I paid. Why buy hybrid???

Suggested Improvements

rear disk brakes, alloy wheels, cruise, PDL, PW, should be std even on base models.

Pretty Great Car
By Daniel

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The LS build was certainly a fun car to drive. Obviously it's not a sport, so performance is not its focus. The LS is built tight with pretty good suspension. Despite the size of the engine, acceleration was adequate. The interior is clean and easy to follow with no confusion among the cluster gauges. The only thing I regret when I owned the car was that I opted for the basic model. I'd strongly recommend upgrading to a higher model with automatic features, because it certainly improves the convenience. The fact that ABS is not standard is disconcerting. I've not owned it a long time, so the Chevrolet rapport is disconcerting. Not too sure if this car will last like a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, exceptional a/c, decent sound, great exterior design (the car looks fantastic in white), decent MPG, daytime running lights and battery saving features.

Suggested Improvements

Improved standard features like power windows, keyless entry, ABS, and higher safety. The car is great for basic introductory, but other cars come with more standard equipment. The daytime running lights feature is certainly impressive for a car in the low-end segment.

Good gas mileage?
By Bob H

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in March of 2007 and currently have just over 20k miles. The selling points of this vehicle were the gas mileage and comfort of the interior (considering it's size). The sticker stated 24 mpg city and around 30 mpg highway. On the highway the car gets the 30 mpg but in the city I'm lucky to get 17mpg. I have a 1999 Subaru Outback with 189K miles that gets better mileage in the city. Very dissapointed. The car its self is pretty reliable. I had it to the dealer 5 times (3 for the same problem). I think the 5 trips to the dealer speaks more for the dealership than the car. Finally, if you get this car step up to the LT model. No power windows or door locks gets tiresome.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort and handling.

Suggested Improvements

An overdrive gear might be nice.

Reliable Commuter Car
By Mike O

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My Cobalt LS 4-door has been a great purchase and a terrific commuter car. I bought the car new for a very good price which included a rebate, dealer discount and GM Card credits. Out the door with a 100K mile warranty set me back $12.8K. The car has 15,000 miles on it and it has not needed any repairs thus far. The car is very reliable and runs flawlessly. I do the maintenance myself, which is very simple. I'm pretty tall and I find the driver seat very comfortable. drive about 60 miles/day, so I'm in the car about 2- 1/2 hrs/day. The car gets >30 mpg and has plenty of pep. The car handles pretty well for a small car.

Favorite Features

The seating and driving position is great for me. I like the overall design of the car and the handling is pretty good. Routine maintenance is a breeze.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk opening should be larger.

Great Car!
By Don

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My previous car was a 2003 Dodge Neon which i must say after the 1st yr needed a front end job..yuk! I've had the Cobalt for 15 months now and not a problem. Good power. Ride is good. Electric steering needs a little improvement. Great gas mileage. I get 30 around town. On long trips at first I was getting around 40mpg (automatic tranny) now around 38-39mpg. Dealer installed cruise for free. I love it!

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, CD player is neat, nice trunk, comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Should have power windows, locks as standard options

What's Not to Like!
By Dennis

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Seriously, what's not to like about the Chevy Cobalt? Having long been a GM fan, I've never really considered buying a compact GM vehicle. I always figured I would have to buy an import to get the quality and value that I desired to add to my fleet of full-sized GM's. Well, my '07 Cobalt has proven to me that GM can make a good, reliable compact car. I'm not a small guy (6'2" and 245#) and this car fits me like a glove. The seats are supportive and there is more than enough leg room. I can easily keep up with my son's '07 Scion TC, and get WAY better fuel economy when doing so. Overall, this car can't be beat if you are looking for solid, economical transportation.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, price and value and available features top my list.

Suggested Improvements

The interior plastics are cheap, but considering what I paid for the car, who can complain!

Pretty Cool
By Cynt

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Before I got this car I had a 2000 Chevy Prism that was amazing. So to compare the two has its ups and downs. The Prism got way better gas mileage. With the Cobalt it probably get about 25-29 MPG where before I was getting at least 35MPG. Its really stylish and I love the MP3 jack. Getting on the highway is great because it doesn't take long to get up to speed. I didn't get power locks or window and that's the biggest regret. It stinks to have to reach over and unlock doors and manually roll down windows. Wish the radio would crank up a little louder also. I love the digital display for the information center. However I wish OnStar and ABS was a standard. Overall pretty good and fun to drive!!

Favorite Features

The best things would probably be the MP3 jack, information center, and trunk space. I love that I can just plug in my Ipod and go. The Ipod cord can be purchased for about $15 and its well worth it. The information center is handy and the trunk space is shockingly gracious.

Suggested Improvements

The seat belt snaps that are in the frame are poorly built. Mine kept falling off until i glued them on. Also so my information controls stopped working but were fixed under warranty. Wish power locks and windows were standard. Would also be good to get at least 30MPG. Otherwise I love it so far!

So Disappointed
By So So disappointed

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle used, had looked up car fax info and researched mileage. Guess what I'm only getting 19 mpg in the city, it's a good thing I only work 5 miles away. The car has a nice build and I can't find anything else I don't like about the car. I'm just disappointed in it's performance. I've had other used vehicles with a V8 that gave me 22 mpg in the city. I've taken it back to be serviced and I'm told there's nothing wrong it must be my driving habits. I've only put about 500 miles on this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Looks good inside and out

Suggested Improvements

Give me 24 mpg in the city

Safety First
By Donnie

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was designed with safety as it's priority! I just got my Cobalt, and already I have the controls memorized! By looking at the great gas mileage, and the simple but stunning interior, you can tell this car was made by a practical on-the-go person. Don't let the small size fool you! This car has the most cabin room I've seen in a sedan! Not to mention the vast trunk room! Great, great car! you get every dime out of it!

Favorite Features

The simple manual locks and windows leaves one less thing to worry about breaking down. The seats are stylish, but even more comfortable. With the auxiliary input, I can plug my iPod right up to the radio!

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control would be nice. While I find the door locks less hassle and promising, it's annoying to have to get in every time and lock all of the doors. I wouldn't mind sacrificing for automatic locks.