Used 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

So-So Feelings
By Doug

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 07 SS Coupe. I drive a lot. My gas mileage has been less then desirable with getting at the most 27mpg highway. I have 42k on it now and at 40,500 I had to have my transmission replaced. Thank goodness for extended warranties or it would have cost a fortune. Styling is great. I get a lot of looks from people because the car looks hot in black. Tires are expensive to replace and the SS is so low to the ground it doesn't clear most speed bumps without scraping. Unless you get a great deal on this car, I would think twice.

Styling on the outside. This car is hot

Less plastic on the inside

Too Cavalier
By Bill T

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The 2007 Cobalt LS 2 door in some ways is a stylish car, but, from looking at the front and sides, looks too much like a re-vamped Cavalier. I expected more from this car than it delivered. Gas mileage on the 2.2 automatic is terrible for a 4 cylinder, eats far more gas than a Nissan Altima 2.5 4 banger, and isn't half as fast, in fact, it's sluggish by comparrison. Comfort is basic, behind the times, needs better standard sound system w/ larger standard sized tires/ wheels. Vehicle is noisy inside passenger cabin, and exterior paint job inferior, marks/ chips easily. Many blind spots when parking, observing on- coming traffic from behind, and passing. It's a re-vamped Cavalier.

Tail lights in rear are kind of cool looking. Radio although inferior is easy to use and displays who the singing artist/s may be. The rear wing does the Cobalt little justice lookswise.

Allow the driving coloum/ wheel to tilt more. Larger tires and wheels as standard equipment. Better quality standard speakers. Better paint quality. Different and more sporty front end to seperate the look from the Cavalier. Get rid of the plastic wheel covers! Put battery back under hood.

$15,000 Nightmare
By Harry

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well, to sum it up in one word, the word "nightmare" comes to mind. The car is actually very nice to drive, handles better than my Mustang ever did, and it has just enough pep to get me into trouble. However, let me tell you the bad about it. There is this rather loud, annoying rattle, which can not be figured out by two different dealerships. Had it in five times, parts replaced every time, and still nothing. Also, it has this little issue that makes it not start at the most of inconvenient of times. No one can figure that one out either. I will tell you that to me, this car is the biggest waste of money, and "GM integrity" that I have ever encountered. GM: Build a better Cobalt!

Very peppy, handles like a dream, and somewhat comfortable. Nice link between 2.2 ecotec and 5 speed manual

Needs more quality parts. I have had the steering column, intermediate steering shaft, left front strut, lower control arm bushing, and have had several things 'tightened up', and I have also done the brakes on it already! I have only put 16,000 miles, folks. Wow!

Update of 1/1/08 Review
By Matt

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I now have over 10,500 mi on the car and its still without any problems. I took the car to the shop 3 times: Once for an oil change and 2 because of something I did: Bent a rim and hit a deer. I abuse this car and it still treats me great. I'm now getting 30-37MPG depending on how I drive. The front tires are now starting to show noticeable wear. My only big gripe with the car is the noisy wheel covers. They squeak and rattle over bumps and it makes the car seem like less quality than it actually is. Next time I'm getting alloys. I still get compliments on the looks. Why are people still buying imports? Chevy packs quality, value, dependability, and fun all in one car. Check this one out!

DIC, auto headlights, speed variable power steering and wipers. CD/MP3 player sounds great for a bottom-of-the-barrel system. Exterior styling. It has as much power as my 01 Z24 and gets 6+ MPG better. Dash and steering wheel styling. Easy to clean upholstery. Wide range of aftermarket parts.

If I had to do it again, I would've bought the LT. I miss the power windows, locks and keyless entry. Also you can get ABS, alloys, and better looking door trim (all grey on LS versus grey and black on LT) on that model. Improve design of wheel covers and make ABS standard... helps against deer.

Great American Quality
By Mike

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For all of you out there that buy foreign because of the so called superior reliabilty this car is for you. Well built, fun to drive, excellent quality for your money.

Easily accessible controls, ipod jack for radio, comfortable interior.