2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2007 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

Great car, Everybody should have one!
By TheCaptain

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

Purchased on Sept. 1 06. 10000 Kms to date. This car is a blast to drive! I can barely stand to drive it slow. This car is not much of a town car, but is totally a highway car. Power is more than enough for daily driving, and space upfront is great. Rear seat space is excellent for a compact car. Trunk space could be a little better, but again, it's a compact car. My only regret is I was unable to get the G85 Recaro Package (due to order date and GM product management difficulties)

Favorite Features

Lazer Blue. Large tail. 7 speaker Pioneer stereo. OnStar and XM satellite radio. 18" wheels. Leather interior with coloured inserts

Suggested Improvements

larger trunk and trunk opening (rear seats do fold) addition of a 6 speed transmission Limited slip differential in all SS SuperChargeds

First new car - Love it!
By Jason

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for the money. I got it with a $1000 rebate so it ended up being cheaper than a similarly equipped Aveo - and there's much more car here. Currently, using top-tier 87 fuel and synthetic oil, between town and highway driving, i'm getting about 35 miles/gallon. (on a 13 gallon tank I can get over 400 miles and still have over a gallon of fuel left) The audio input jack is a great standard feature and for those who wish to upgrade their audio on their own, they'll be pleased to find the battery in the trunk. I almost bought a used ford focus for around $10K, but This car after rebate, taxes, etc.. ended up being 13K and wasn't somebody elses problem. No regrets.

Favorite Features

Audio input jack. Good power for a 4cyl. Good gas mileage. Chevy's new and improved 10 yr/100K mile drivetrain warranty. Passenger sensing airbags. Drivers seat that moves up and down. Roomier than it looks. Price

Suggested Improvements

Make the trunk opening bigger. Ditch the plastic engine cover that just makes it run about 5 deg. warmer. Aftermarket could be better for cars equipped with secondary air injection.

Best of the Domestics
By Hobbie2k

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt for the rebates, otherwise I'd be driving an import. That said, the Cobalt is a big improvement over the outdated Cavalier. Excellent fuel economy (I've seen 36mpg; and with only 2000mi, it will improve when things loosen up). The metallic orange paint gets attention, and the 2.2L Ecotec is one of GM's best engines ever. However, a good engine and decent styling can't hide all the places GM cheaped out. Such as lock placement that makes them impossible to use while you're seated in the car, or the solid grey interior door panels (it would have been much classier to continue the dash's two tone them into the doors), or the cheap feeling steering wheel and shifter.

Favorite Features

Strong engine with a flat powerband (even if it is a little resistant to revving), sporty suspension setup, better than other domestic cars in the class, good basic interior design, excellent fuel economy, good value.

Suggested Improvements

Horrid lock placement (there's a reason other manufacturers place the locks with the door handle), obvious penny-pinching in the details, seats and build quality are no match for my '06 Jetta. GM need's to continue two-tone interior theme around the whole car, not just the dash.

My Cobalt
By Bobby

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We got the Cobalt early May '07, and by late May I have almost 4000 miles on it already and it seems like a pretty decent car. Has some pretty good pep for a 4cyl, fuel economy is great compared to the SUV we traded in for it, however not the 34 mpg that they advertise, still I'm getting around 27mpg. The stereo system cranks good for a stock radio and CD player. We can not fit the whole family in it leagally, or safely for that matter, but that's what the wife's mini-van is for. All in all I'd have to say I'd give it a thumbs up, lets see what breaks on it in the first 50K or 100K miles.

Favorite Features

Automatic lights! Stereo is pretty good, sounds great and even loud with some heavy bass rock it still sounds great! 27 miles to the gallon, I used to get 12-15 and now I get 23-27!

Suggested Improvements

ABS brakes! Power locks windows and cruise control! Power mirrors would have been great.

Great car
By nellis

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I know that the Cobalt is an upgrade from the Cavalier but it's way beyond that. The cCobalt is much more comfortable and rides much smoother. I would recommend this car to everyone. It's great for travel or just your everyday driving. Chevy is definitely a winner with this one!

Favorite Features

Comfortable. Nice to ride in

Suggested Improvements

the only thing I think is that roll up windows, and manual mirrors have got to go. It's 2007, both should be power

Great Commuter Car
By Schlog

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased this car as a commuter for my wife, really not expecting an exceptional vehicle for $13,500 out the door. My feelings have changed after making several day long drives, really taking a liking to the car. With 266 miles on the odometer we're getting 39 miles per gallon on the interstate, really great on a car that advertised 34 MPG Hwy. Secondly it handles exceptionally well and is comfortable to drive. 95% of the time I drive a full size truck, never paying attention to the fact that your constantly scrutinizing your size in a given space... it does weigh on you in commuting. This is a nice car and we're actually discssing getting another in the Pontiac version. So far, elated!

Favorite Features

Peppy 4 cylinder, useful economy feedback display, great A/C and a super smooth automatic transmission. Styling is on par with other economy vehicles and the seats are comfortable but certainly not plush. Good sounding stereo/CD and quiet interior. Great trunk size and it extends into the back seat.

Suggested Improvements

More storage space for coins, documents and whatever. I know it's a small car, but that could be better. Darker window tinting, and two density levels of padding in the seats, they feel a little stiff. Standard keyfob electric locks, as most of us have forgotten using manual locks.

Best Chevy Ever!
By Yynot

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SS 2.4 Colbalt with 147 on it. White with black interior has everything I wanted power everything awesome stereo, sunroof. This car is just the best ever for the price I paid and the competitors was prices just right and not over 20k for the options I wanted, I drove the Civic Si, the new Sentra Se R, Tiburion, even Saturn Ion Quad Coupe also the Pontia G5 the cousin of the Cobalt All these were either over priced or didn't have what I wanted to pay for. Chevy has finally got it right and I got the last White one in the area for 2007 sorry. I love it from the moment I saw it I wanted it. Love a first sight so to speak

Favorite Features

Has everything I wanted in my car that I was looking for!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, well except the sunroof should make it one touch feature for open and closing it.

Great Car - especially for the price
By a matic

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It is larger than you first think. The engine is terrific. The size of the whole car is just right. Big enough to carry 4 people, small enough to be fuel efficient, and powerful enough to not require a V6. The stereo is a great design and a joy to work although a little more power would be nice. The paint job on my Cobalt is exceptional. I bought the paint protection. I think it is well worth the price for any car. Overall a great ride for not much money. I looked at Focus, but I think the Cobalt is a better car for less money.

Favorite Features

Engine. Stereo. Paint. Finish. LT option

Suggested Improvements

All cars should came with ABS brakes and side air bags as standard, period. I don't care if the gov has to pass a law, or the automakers do it themselves. These items save lives and injuries. Just do it.

Chevy's best kept secret
By Paul Wernich

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was ready for a new car and wanted to spend less than $15k. The Cobalt was a no-brainer. The 2 door laser blue coupe looks fantastic and I got it with all the goodies I wanted for under $14,000. I've owned it for a few weeks and I have only a couple of complaints. The doors are long and locking/unlocking them is awkward, power door locks should have been standard. No armrest, whats up with that? The interior of the doors are all one color, light gray. Adding a darker gray to the door would have looked sportier and hidden stains better. Window crank handle fell off in my hand after only a few uses, just snapped it back on and all is well. Gas mileage seems OK, a few more mpg would be nice

Favorite Features

Car looks sporty like more expensive models. Love the automatic hood rod, nice touch. Good stereo system. Quiet interior. Driver information system similar to the one I had on my $50,000 Cadillac. Low price/good warranty. Chevy's best kept secret.

Suggested Improvements

Standard power door locks. Add some color to the boring interior door panels. Better gas mileage.

Good Car
By Jarret

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first new car I have ever had. Good car for the $15,000 I spent after taxes. I have a middle of the road model with power windows and air conditioning. One irritating problem is that after owning the car for five months, I am now hearing a sound of something loose or rolling around in the front engine/tire area of the car whenever I make a moving right turn and sometimes a moving left turn. I took it to the dealer, and they claimed that only one of two mechanics who looked at the car could hear the sound. They stated that did not know what was causing it and could not fix it. I don't understand since sound is obvious, and I am continuing to press the issue with dealer.

Favorite Features

Steering on the vehicle is tight and engine performance is good for the small engine I have. Just a nice vehicle to drive all around. Comfortable to be in.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plastic moldings in the interior of the car. I have already had the inner part of the cup holder come out along a piece that is attached to where the seat belt comes out of. Both were easy to snap back in, but should not happen on a new car.