Used 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Engine is dying
By Greg

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car almost new. Now we're up to over 150K miles. Check engine light came on a couple of years ago. When I took it in, my repair shop said that one of the cylinders was misfiring. Apparently it was a flaw in the engine. (I think they said the cylinder was warped which caused it to lose compression which caused the misfire. I may be wrong. I'm not a car guy so please don't laugh if that doesn't actually make sense.) Anyways, about 9 months ago, my car started to stall out when idling at traffic lights. I took it back to the shop and they said that another cylinder had gone. There is nothing they can do to fix it apart from putting in a whole new engine. Now I'm driving around on 2 cylinders praying that someone rear ends me so I can collect the insurance money.

Good Cars With a Few Issues
By Jerry in Missouri

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I think Chevy Cobalts are good cars. The issues they have are similar to ones the Cavalier had, which are a cheap front suspension which will most likely require a few repairs, and a few safety issues, namely side crash test scores (poor without side curtain airbags). I would recommend getting a 2008-2010 Cobalt if you are concerned about the side crash test scores because they automatically came with side curtain airbags as a standard feature. It's possible that an 05-07 could have gotten them as an option, but most likely not. The Cobalt is a solid, attractive car that gets good gas mileage. Reliability is pretty good. If you do buy any year Chevy Cobalt, make sure you check that it has had the recalls taken care of, as all Cobalts were subject to a few recalls pertaining to the ignition/steering column. These cars have a smooth enjoyable ride but if you go over a raised bump you will definitely feel it, and do your best to avoid bumps as the front suspension is somewhat fragile in my opinion. I have noticed that the Cobalts have really good body integrity--usually even the 10 year old Cobalts still look good with no rust or bumpers falling off, etc. UNLIKE the Cavalier, which tend to fall apart piece by piece unless they are babied. A few random cons for the Cobalt are: Trunk is hard to open, and lid is heavy; mouth of trunk is too small to take in larger items that might otherwise fit; backseat is very cramped with little legroom so plan on anyone other than a child or dwarf hating it. All in all, I might consider buying another of these cars if it had the features and appearance I wanted on one.

Still Reliable at >121,000 Miles
By momalley1

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in Dec. 2007 and have put more than 121K miles on it. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Other than replacement of the recalled ignition switch and electric power steering motor; and a repositioning and splicing of the daytime running light harness at the radiator support and oiling of the HVAC fan, this car has had no other maintenance other than prescribed preventive service, which I do myself. Maintenance on this car is simple and not expensive.

Front seating is comfortable for long trips to work and back. I'm tall and this is the only small car I've driven where I remain comfortable for the length of the drive. Maintenance on this car is simple, straightforward and not expensive.

Since the car is out of production, this question is moot.

Reliable and sporty
By jeaninmt

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used with 30,000. Put on 150,000 miles. We live in Montana and it winters well. Its gone through 3 brake jobs but no other repairs. Mpg on highway mid 30 mpg, less in winter. Not made for gravel roads which we live on. The wheels go out of balance easily with mud and dirt or snow build up. It's not a car for teaching kids to drive as the steering is a little too quick. Trunk is tight to get a cooler in. A small kids bike will go in. It's amazing in parking lots and great for quick acceleration to get on the freeway.

It comes in orange! Its been very reliable for us. It's a 65 mile trip to town so it's mostly highway miles and does well.

Definitely better brakes. A couple more inches on the trunk door opening would have made life a lot easier for hauling groceries in and out. At about 150,000 miles the trip computer seemed to lose reliability, showing up to 42 mpg with no changes in driving or anything.

Expensive Mistake
By cmbear

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 10k miles. Loved it at first, then the it revealed its' true colors. I have replaced the wheel bearings, sway bars, control arms and bushings three times. The second time the repair was under warranty. The first and third were quite expensive. Additionally, the inside door handles have peeled. I have just paid it off and am ready to get rid of this monster. Learned my lesson. Chevy won't get my business again.

• SUV