2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2007 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

Beats a civic all to hell
By Cory

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Car works great, lots of power for 4 cyl. I've had it going 220 km/h, way better car for the money than a Civic. However the electronic power steering failed me but gm has since recalled it at no cost to me, also the front suspension is not built to last, will need struts soon at 78,000 kilometers. The 7 speaker pioneer stereo sounds great with factory XM is a must also the 17 inch wheels look great and car handles perfectly at high speeds, looks great in black with limo tint Windows. Overall very happy with the appearance and performance

Favorite Features

xm radio with subwoofer sound system, rear spoiler, 17 inch aluminum wheels

Suggested Improvements

better front suspension, also trunk is huge but the hole is tiny.

Peice of junk
By bart18n

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Everything seems to be falling apart day by day. Brakes have been replaced 3 times in two years. Front stabilizer bar has been replaced twice and I live in a city. new rattles every day that are impossible to pinpoint as they come from everything from the back panels in the back seat to the suspension to sun visors! went over a bump and the housing for the sunroof button just fell out of the headliner. Thankfully everything has been replaced under warranty except for brakes which is a big concern because they are quite expensive to replace if you have to replace them twice a year! only good things is the stereo which always sounds awesome and can really pound and the engine its self

Favorite Features

engine is quite quiet and has good power. Stereo sounds amazing

Suggested Improvements

Build a good car then drop that good engine in it

I wanted a safe, dependable car
By Sad Dad

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a safe dependable car to send my daughter off to college. She liked the sporty look, and we shopped until we found one with the bells and whistles. The car has 37,000 miles on it, so the bumper to bumper has expired (barely-- 36,000). While she was driving from Nashville, the power steering just quit working. I'm glad she wasn't in a turn! Dealership and GM are not very sympathetic, but when I googled "Cobalt power steering," I found that this problem is widespread. I hope that anyone considering the Cobalt will use google and research this power steering failure.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, definitely.

Suggested Improvements

The electric power steering needs to be recalled and replaced.

2007 SS
By Katie

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Cobalt, but I am worried about it's reliability. My visor broke after I had the car about a year. I have not even had the car 2 years and the top part of my shifter knob just broke off along with the plugs for the chargers no longer working. Also, the emergency break went out. Great that it's still under warranty, but what am I going to do after that?

Favorite Features

leather seats, heated seats, cute car, great manual shifting

Suggested Improvements

bigger opening for trunk, stop being cheap on the little parts

Great Performance for the price!
By linz

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for over 2 years now and have 45000 miles on it. I had to order the car because I could not find an SS with a five speed and all the options I wanted. So I hadn't test drove one when it was ordered.I've never had to take it in for service but did replace the brakes and rotors at 40,000. The interior aluminum paint has started to chip from wear and tear and the steering wheel leather has started to fade. I previously had a 2005 Grand Am GT and it was in the shop twice in the 2 years I owned it. The Grand Am had more get up and go than the cobalt but it was a V6 automatic. Decent car for the price, but some improvements could be made. Back seat is extremely comfortable for a coupe

Favorite Features

6 disc changer, steering wheel controls, heated leather (Grand Am did not offer). Comfortable buckets and back seat. Smooth ride and acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Add 6th gear for mpg's. Trunk opening is way too small (overall trunk is good size). Sunroof only opens 75% of opening (would be better as moon). Brake wear isn't bad but I seen many articles of replacing rotors way too early in their life. Ability to control MP3 Player with built in controls,

So-So Feelings
By Doug

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 07 SS Coupe. I drive a lot. My gas mileage has been less then desirable with getting at the most 27mpg highway. I have 42k on it now and at 40,500 I had to have my transmission replaced. Thank goodness for extended warranties or it would have cost a fortune. Styling is great. I get a lot of looks from people because the car looks hot in black. Tires are expensive to replace and the SS is so low to the ground it doesn't clear most speed bumps without scraping. Unless you get a great deal on this car, I would think twice.

Favorite Features

Styling on the outside. This car is hot

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic on the inside

Great Little Car For The Money !
By Limo Mike

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Cobalt for just less than a year now and I have to say I am very pleased over all. First off I got a great deal. The car is definitely more than I had expected. I find it fun to drive and very comfortable even on long trips. The car is gorgeous from the outside and the interior is very nice for a car in this price range. It has just enough power to make me happy. If I wanted a race car I would not have bought this. The handling should be more that adequate for most drivers. The ride is much softer and more forgiving than most cars in it's class. Overall I think it is a vast improvement over the Cavalier it replaced and a great value for all that you get.

Favorite Features

I got the Pioneer sound system with XM which sounds amazing. The leather seats are a must. The on board computer tells you everything. Most of all I am amazed with the interior space for the front passengers. Finally the gas mileage. The Chevy ecotec engines are smooth, powerful and very efficient.

Suggested Improvements

The sheet metal is very thin in areas. 2 weeks after I took delivery I leaned against the the car lightly and the entire rear 1/4 panel caved in. Luckily it popped right out. Also the trunk opening is oddly shaped. There is tons of room but its hard to access. Head curtain airbags should be standard.

Awesome Vehicle!
By InZane4all

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I previously had a 2007 Cobalt LT Coupe. The car was ok but was missing power. I also hated the fact that the car came with hubcaps which made loud noises on every bump. I wanted an SS/SC but was unable to get one at a good price. So I decided to get a Cobalt SS and wow! Big difference from an LT. 17' chrome wheels, Pioneer sound system, interior is way better than my old LT. The 2.4L engine is so powerful, it reminds me of my old 94 Camaro V6. I did change the wing to the high rise one that comes standard on an SS/SC only because I think the wing makes my Cobalt SS stand out more.

Favorite Features

The sound of the engine when you hit the throttle, exterior appearance makes car look very sporty, sound system, Chrome Wheels, sporty exhaust, remote start, interior is a vast improvement to the LS and LT models.

Suggested Improvements

One gripe is that on star does not come standard on the SS models, or "Sport" models as they are called now. Also, no heated seats are available.

Underestimated
By jdc7659

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt is more capable and fun to drive than any of its competitors.

Favorite Features

The car has an ample amount of power, and once you get used to its handling it is a lot of fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Interior trim is the only problem that I see with this car.

First 4banger
By CC SS

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really like this car a lot. It's my 1st brand new car and 1st 4 cyl. It's a blast to drive for what it is and I love the sound system. I love the laser blue, i was told there was only 1 more blue 5 speed like it within 200m radius. My old cars were T/A's so its still slow to me but its quick enougbh to be fun and handles very well in turns. I got a lot more than what I was expecting for this little 4 cyl. Now to get a procharger

Favorite Features

The color, sound system and how it levels how when you smoke tires

Suggested Improvements

Dont kill the S/C next year. Let the people find the car. Get it into games. Still not many people know about how good this car is for tuning