Used 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Complete engine failure at 55,000 miles
By Me

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Second Chevy I've owned that died a very early death. Barely out from under warranty, well-maintained and not driven a ton, and the engine began knocking, screeching and cutting out spontaneously. Took it to a mechanic who informed me it would cost more to repair than the car is worth due to dodgy manufacturing.

Engine is dying
By Greg

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car almost new. Now we're up to over 150K miles. Check engine light came on a couple of years ago. When I took it in, my repair shop said that one of the cylinders was misfiring. Apparently it was a flaw in the engine. (I think they said the cylinder was warped which caused it to lose compression which caused the misfire. I may be wrong. I'm not a car guy so please don't laugh if that doesn't actually make sense.) Anyways, about 9 months ago, my car started to stall out when idling at traffic lights. I took it back to the shop and they said that another cylinder had gone. There is nothing they can do to fix it apart from putting in a whole new engine. Now I'm driving around on 2 cylinders praying that someone rear ends me so I can collect the insurance money.

Still Reliable at >121,000 Miles
By momalley1

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in Dec. 2007 and have put more than 121K miles on it.
This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.
Other than replacement of the recalled ignition switch and electric power steering motor; and a repositioning and splicing of the daytime running light harness at the radiator support and oiling of the HVAC fan, this car has had no other maintenance other than prescribed preventive service, which I do myself.
Maintenance on this car is simple and not expensive.

Front seating is comfortable for long trips to work and back. I'm tall and this is the only small car I've driven where I remain comfortable for the length of the drive. Maintenance on this car is simple, straightforward and not expensive.

Since the car is out of production, this question is moot.

Expensive Mistake
By cmbear

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 10k miles.
Loved it at first, then the it revealed its' true colors.
I have replaced the wheel bearings, sway bars, control arms and bushings three times.
The second time the repair was under warranty.
The first and third were quite expensive.
Additionally, the inside door handles have peeled.
I have just paid it off and am ready to get rid of this monster.
Learned my lesson.
Chevy won't get my business again.

Excellent car
By bloodytrenches

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 07 cobalt LS auto-trans in 09 with 40K miles as a bank repo. Today it has 105K. Ive never had to have major work done. The most expensive repairs have been the front wheel bearings 200-300. The passenger one went out a couple years ago and just now the drivers side is going. I've had quite a few wheel alignments but not in the past 2 years since took it back to the machanic since it was still out of alignment. The tires still don't wear evenly, but I am rough on cars and the roads I drive on are terrible. When it rains or snows I slide easily at the stop sign, but no issues on the road as long as I don't speed.
Oh I forgot, something went wrong with my radio after a car hit me

No major repairs needed. I like the look, it has enough room, a larger trunk than my 02 hyundai, and its held up excellent to my abusive driving. I think its comfortable. My fiance doesn't. He says it all feels too plasticy. I've driven it on avg 15k a year and it is still in excellent running condition. The exterior not so much. I've have one fender bender, and someone back into my right side. The passenger side doors had to be replaced. I hit curbs and giant rocks with the wheels and I'm shocked I haven't totalled it. Its an amazing car.

It would be awesome if the "basic" models came with automatic door locks and an arm rest. Automatic windows would be a bonus. I'm not sure what is wrong with the radio. After a car backed to both of the passenger side doors I noticed my driver side speaker didn't work all the time. I think this happened in 2010. Since then only the rear passenger side speaker works. The radio also glitches. Sometimes if I use the tuning nob it will change stations sparatically. the digital lights have went screwy twice in the last 6 months. This all could also be due to a front end wreck that happened a year before. Still, I would recommend this car.