Used 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Excellent car
By bloodytrenches

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 07 cobalt LS auto-trans in 09 with 40K miles as a bank repo. Today it has 105K. Ive never had to have major work done. The most expensive repairs have been the front wheel bearings 200-300. The passenger one went out a couple years ago and just now the drivers side is going. I've had quite a few wheel alignments but not in the past 2 years since took it back to the machanic since it was still out of alignment. The tires still don't wear evenly, but I am rough on cars and the roads I drive on are terrible. When it rains or snows I slide easily at the stop sign, but no issues on the road as long as I don't speed. Oh I forgot, something went wrong with my radio after a car hit me

Favorite Features

No major repairs needed. I like the look, it has enough room, a larger trunk than my 02 hyundai, and its held up excellent to my abusive driving. I think its comfortable. My fiance doesn't. He says it all feels too plasticy. I've driven it on avg 15k a year and it is still in excellent running condition. The exterior not so much. I've have one fender bender, and someone back into my right side. The passenger side doors had to be replaced. I hit curbs and giant rocks with the wheels and I'm shocked I haven't totalled it. Its an amazing car.

Suggested Improvements

It would be awesome if the "basic" models came with automatic door locks and an arm rest. Automatic windows would be a bonus. I'm not sure what is wrong with the radio. After a car backed to both of the passenger side doors I noticed my driver side speaker didn't work all the time. I think this happened in 2010. Since then only the rear passenger side speaker works. The radio also glitches. Sometimes if I use the tuning nob it will change stations sparatically. the digital lights have went screwy twice in the last 6 months. This all could also be due to a front end wreck that happened a year before. Still, I would recommend this car.

Still Reliable at >121,000 Miles
By momalley1

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in Dec. 2007 and have put more than 121K miles on it. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Other than replacement of the recalled ignition switch and electric power steering motor; and a repositioning and splicing of the daytime running light harness at the radiator support and oiling of the HVAC fan, this car has had no other maintenance other than prescribed preventive service, which I do myself. Maintenance on this car is simple and not expensive.

Favorite Features

Front seating is comfortable for long trips to work and back. I'm tall and this is the only small car I've driven where I remain comfortable for the length of the drive. Maintenance on this car is simple, straightforward and not expensive.

Suggested Improvements

Since the car is out of production, this question is moot.

Expensive Mistake
By cmbear

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 10k miles. Loved it at first, then the it revealed its' true colors. I have replaced the wheel bearings, sway bars, control arms and bushings three times. The second time the repair was under warranty. The first and third were quite expensive. Additionally, the inside door handles have peeled. I have just paid it off and am ready to get rid of this monster. Learned my lesson. Chevy won't get my business again.

Cute and Decent Car
By Nina

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my chevy cobalt for almost 2 weeks now and so far no major complaints. The ride is smooth. When I go over rough bumps on the road I can hardly feel it. The braking system is very good so far and the handling isn't that bad either. The car drives fine and the engine is very quiet. Acceleration is decent and the car is rather easy to control. The inside of the car is very nice. I like the overall layout and the audio system. Some people say that the interior of the car feels cheap and plastic. In my opinion I think it is pretty sturdy and not that bad at all. Overall this was a great buy for me and hopefully I will enjoy this car for a few years.

Favorite Features

Automatic headlights, CD player, and the car information system located on the steering wheel of the vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders (not very secure), automatic lock and windows for this particular model. And storage space.

I HATE this car!!
By madwomanraving

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it brand new off the lot with 3 miles on it in 2007. It is now 2012, it has 137,000 miles on it. As soon as the warranty was up..BOOM clutch went out. I got it repaired at a lovely 1200.00 and 2 years later...it's out again...replaced it AGAIN another 1200.00 and the next year...transmission goes. Long story short..I am currently installing the FOURTH clutch on this car and it has it's 3rd transmission installed. Apparently there is a little secret with the defective Syncros and the fact that the MORONS at GM used ATF in my Manual Trans vehicle due to a design flaw that has a smaller hole for the fluid to go through. GM this car sucks & I will NEVER buy one or recommend one.

Favorite Features

The mps is good

Suggested Improvements

Recall the Transmission and fix the issues.