Used 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

about to blow motor #2
By kmac

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a royal pain for the last 5 years. I purchased it used in 2011. At my 1st inspection I was told that I needed new shocks and struts, 2 years later they needed to be replaced again. Next was the intermittent electrical issues: speakers work some of the time (thankfully at least 1 is always working) hit a pot-hole and all of a sudden there's surround sound! rear windows - one side never worked (except that one time my nephew puts it down and says "you liar! you just didn't want me to play with it" other side recently stopped working most of the time, headlights tail-lights and turn-signals oh my! once was pulled over for a headlight out and it came back on during the stop... And the kicker - the motor blew at 120,000 mi they said it was the timing chain and tried repairing it but were unsuccessful. I had the motor replaced adding $3,500 and another year to my loan. Three years later when it was finally paid off I was excited to drive it without a payment and save up for my next money pit but, no. The replacement motor has reached 120,000 mi and is showing signs that the timing chain is going bad - repairs start at $1700 and potentially "snowball" from there. No Thanks!

Complete engine failure at 55,000 miles
By Me

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Second Chevy I've owned that died a very early death. Barely out from under warranty, well-maintained and not driven a ton, and the engine began knocking, screeching and cutting out spontaneously. Took it to a mechanic who informed me it would cost more to repair than the car is worth due to dodgy manufacturing.

Engine is dying
By Greg

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car almost new. Now we're up to over 150K miles. Check engine light came on a couple of years ago. When I took it in, my repair shop said that one of the cylinders was misfiring. Apparently it was a flaw in the engine. (I think they said the cylinder was warped which caused it to lose compression which caused the misfire. I may be wrong. I'm not a car guy so please don't laugh if that doesn't actually make sense.) Anyways, about 9 months ago, my car started to stall out when idling at traffic lights. I took it back to the shop and they said that another cylinder had gone. There is nothing they can do to fix it apart from putting in a whole new engine. Now I'm driving around on 2 cylinders praying that someone rear ends me so I can collect the insurance money.

Still Reliable at >121,000 Miles
By momalley1

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in Dec. 2007 and have put more than 121K miles on it.
This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.
Other than replacement of the recalled ignition switch and electric power steering motor; and a repositioning and splicing of the daytime running light harness at the radiator support and oiling of the HVAC fan, this car has had no other maintenance other than prescribed preventive service, which I do myself.
Maintenance on this car is simple and not expensive.

Front seating is comfortable for long trips to work and back. I'm tall and this is the only small car I've driven where I remain comfortable for the length of the drive. Maintenance on this car is simple, straightforward and not expensive.

Since the car is out of production, this question is moot.

Expensive Mistake
By cmbear

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 10k miles.
Loved it at first, then the it revealed its' true colors.
I have replaced the wheel bearings, sway bars, control arms and bushings three times.
The second time the repair was under warranty.
The first and third were quite expensive.
Additionally, the inside door handles have peeled.
I have just paid it off and am ready to get rid of this monster.
Learned my lesson.
Chevy won't get my business again.