2007 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Exactly What I Expected
By fastcolin on 11/12/14 18:29 PM (PST)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I want to start this review by saying I absolutely love my Cobalt. Starting with the good, the car is quick for a 4 cylinder, rides smooth, has a great stock stereo system, easy and cheap to maintain, comfortable, and very reliable. It has never left me stranded. With all of that being said, I absolutely hate how cheaply everything was built. Everything that shouldn't move moves. The dome light lens rattles, the window cranks rattle with the radio on, the dash pieces move, and worst of all is the steering column. Everyone I've talked to has the same issue. It rattles between 55 and 75 mph and over bumps at low speeds; you replace the steering column, and it'll wear out again.

Still Reliable at >121,000 Miles
By momalley1 on 08/13/14 16:32 PM (PDT)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in Dec. 2007 and have put more than 121K miles on it. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Other than replacement of the recalled ignition switch and electric power steering motor; and a repositioning and splicing of the daytime running light harness at the radiator support and oiling of the HVAC fan, this car has had no other maintenance other than prescribed preventive service, which I do myself. Maintenance on this car is simple and not expensive.

Reliable and sporty
By jeaninmt on 07/27/14 21:13 PM (PDT)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used with 30,000. Put on 150,000 miles. We live in Montana and it winters well. Its gone through 3 brake jobs but no other repairs. Mpg on highway mid 30 mpg, less in winter. Not made for gravel roads which we live on. The wheels go out of balance easily with mud and dirt or snow build up. It's not a car for teaching kids to drive as the steering is a little too quick. Trunk is tight to get a cooler in. A small kids bike will go in. It's amazing in parking lots and great for quick acceleration to get on the freeway.

Expensive Mistake
By cmbear on 07/11/14 02:29 AM (PDT)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 10k miles. Loved it at first, then the it revealed its' true colors. I have replaced the wheel bearings, sway bars, control arms and bushings three times. The second time the repair was under warranty. The first and third were quite expensive. Additionally, the inside door handles have peeled. I have just paid it off and am ready to get rid of this monster. Learned my lesson. Chevy won't get my business again.

This car got old in a hurry.
By gbreadman on 04/29/14 08:05 AM (PDT)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in January 2007. I liked it a lot, especially when gas was $5 a gallon in 2008 and within a week all the dealer lots were full of huge SUV's and no compacts were to be seen. Now it has 63000 miles on it and it's needed some work, especially the front-end (most of which is discussed in the "improvements" section). It was a very sensible car, and still is...but if you're not a DIY'ing shade-tree mechanic you'll be very disappointed with the early repair costs.

Fun Car: When it's not in the shop.
By mjperry on 10/16/13 14:40 PM (PDT)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

Over the past 3 years I think my car has had a major breakdown 6 or 7 times. The first time the shifter broke. After that all problems have come from the car computer, which has died 5 or 6 times now, including today.

This is the last GM I will every buy
By ebcobalt on 08/29/13 11:25 AM (PDT)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt as a GM Certified Pre-Owned in early 2011. It was 3 years old and had 1 owner, 32,000 miles on it. It was a good deal... or so I thought. Not including the 2 re-call repairs I have had this car in the shop so many times that a $8,500 steal became a $13,500 robbery. This does not include the minor things I have not fixed: the cheap plastic interior parts are all broken/ breaking, the speakers blown out when I only listen to easy listening at reasonable volumes, etc. The headlamps, turn signals, fuses all need to be replaced at regular intervals (every 3 months!). I do regular maintenance and keep it up too, but it still breaks. Cutting my losses now and leasing a Honda.

Fantastic Car 60k miles and still going strong!
By smithg89 on 08/15/13 07:07 AM (PDT)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new in 2007. Since then there have been no major repairs required. No check engine lights nothing. Still on the factory break pads and they're still fine! Factory battery lasted five years before we replaced it to be safe. And, after being in a front end collision, the body is durable and the car is safe. I do have a minor electrical problem with the radio but it's nothing worth writing home about. Paid $18k out the door for it (warrantied to the ceiling) and haven't looked back! Great car, sad they replaced it with the Cruize.

So DONE with Chevys
By samaochoa on 08/04/13 11:10 AM (PDT)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I haven't had any huge major probs happen, other than the 2 recalls fuel pump and power steering pumps, which Chevy fixed. I have had lots of electrical probs, the wire burnt up on the blower motor, I fixed that and now my ac/heater is stuck in defrost, it will go hot and cold and you hear the compressor kicking on and off, but its stuck in defrost. Its always small things, but Im done. I only owe $600 on the damn thing and a trade in is in the near future. I loved my cavalier, never had a prob that's why I traded it in for a cobalt and probs since day 1

Never Again!
By madashell11 on 05/22/13 13:01 PM (PDT)

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

where to start...hmmm 2007 4 dr cobalt , parts going after 3 mnths transmission synchro mesh No it is not my driving, suspension all of it replaced , battery has died, starter once , brakes are all kinds of messed up stabilizing link pooched ...worst car ever owned had a 500 $ car once that was more reliable!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.