I would never recommend this car
By woody on
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)
This car is bad news. It looks sporty and is inexpensive, and that's what got me. I bought with 18,000 miles. Having issues with transmission, front struts are bad, parking break is too weak to hold on a hill, fuel economy calculator is not accurate. Stick shift makes it fun to drive sometimes, but does not have cruise control. Came with SS spoiler, so it looks sporty, but is a pile of junk. How can the struts and tranny have issues at 20,000 miles? This car is cheap for a reason. GM cut corners big time. I used to love them, but I don't know if I will be able to buy one again after this pile. As much as I hate to say it, look for a ford. Stay away from Chevy, especially the cobalt.
Favorite Features
Engine is very quiet at low RPM. Decent pep for small engine. Seats are pretty comfy.
Suggested Improvements
Improve build quality all around. Get rid of plastic under hood, it rattles all the time. Better manual tranny, not smooth and now issues with 1,2,3 and R at 20,000 miles. Improve fuel economy calculator accuracy. Stronger parking break. Better interior quality. I think I know why Chevy discontinued
By gladysn
on 12/15/10 07:01 AM (PST)

12/15/10 06:58 AM (PST) I bought my 06 colbalt new driver's door handle guts had to be replaced twice, key wouldn't come out of ignition so they replaced the shifter saying it wasn't going into park far enough....which button broke immediately) wiper motor and front strut replaced under warrenty. After warrenty recalled for power steering unit, decorative plate and button for sunroof fell out of roof when I drove over a highway bounce. Wheel bearing now going and it sputters and stalls at every red light or stop sign. Starter stays engaged now and then. I have NEVER HAD SUCH A PIECE OF JUNK!!!! $23,000 dollars worth and I still owe $7,000 so I'm stuck with it.