Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Klunky
By JB

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bread truck handling, braking, and acceleration. Rattles and clunks. Cheapest kind of plastic and mouse fur interior. Air conditioning takes a long time to cool down on a hot day. That the vent always defaults to "open" doesn't help. The LED multi-function odometer tries to do too much. Noisy engine when pushed. Automatic transmission can't decide which gear it wants to be in. This car's begging for a stick shift. Gas gauge hard to read.

Big enough. Good standard radio. OK commuter if you're not in a hurry. Relatively comfortable front seats. Light years ahead of Cavalier. Big trunk.

Tighten up the handling. More zip. Better brakes. Hamster fur interior. Better A/C. Vent that defaults to "closed!!" Let the odometer just be an odometer!! Lose the tachometer on automatics, make the gas gauge bigger, and put it where it can be seen easily. In fact, lose the automatic.

When will GM learn
By sanmech

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new with 0% down for 72 months. Good deal-- With 9000 miles on the car I finally realized why my hands were killing me when I drove the car. The steering wheel is hard as a rock, and I cannot drive it anymore. So, I give it to my wife and guess what? Her hands hurt. A call to GM was made and of course they said sorry, but that is all. Car now in shop for a rattle they cant find. They replaced 2 struts and 2 strut mounts, 2 stabilizer links and 2 control arms. Still rattles. How many more times can one get burnt with a GM product. Last time for me. My Honda Civic 2003 I just bought still runs and rides like a new car with 86000 miles on it. You tell me why to buy American again!

Pioneer stereo and satellite radio. Gas mileage on highway isn't bad either at 34 mpg

Look at the Japenese cars and just do what they do. Styling and quality are substantially better.

So Far...So Good
By Colleen

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine 3 weeks ago with 39,000 on it. The gas mileage on this thing is incredible. (Coming from a former Jeep owner). I wish the interior cloth and carpet was a bit darker though, it stains pretty easily. Cupholder placement is a bit idiotic. Roomy interior. The sensor for the passenger seat airbags is great, and so is the DIC (driver info. center). Trunk is huge! Looks nice, cute and sporty without being over the top. Exactly what I needed.

Driver Information Center. No more wondering if I am due for an oil change. Passenger seat airbag/seatbelt sensors. Now I don't have to ask my son if his belt is on anymore, the car will tell me. Trunk space! Lots of it!

Stereo lacking a bit. But, may just be because I like concert sound, so I'll be upgrading the speakers.

Miserable
By sara

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The '06 Cobalt was the first car I'd bought. It has been extremely disappointing all the way around. Within the first month of owning it, I had to take it in twice: once because the wiring on the safety harness had been chewed by rodents at either the dealership or a GM facility and had remained undetected until my check engine light went on a couple weeks after I brought it home and next because my ignition stuck and it had to be towed to replace the gear shift in the floor. Since then, I've had to replace the fuel sensor and the fuel pump. Other repairs are pending even now. The car has less than 8000 miles on it. My advice to all thinking about buying one is to research carefully!

Unbeatable gas mileage.

Manufacturing quality is abysmal. I don't even know where to begin to suggest improvement. GM tops the list in terms of sheer numbers for recalls/warnings. Their priority needs to be reinvested in the quality of their craftmanship.

Was my first car
By Kelly

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got the 2006 Cobalt lt sedan for my first car. I love how easy it is to drive, it is small enough to fit into tight parking spaces. It has great turning capacity as well! It has really awesome gas mileage. It has a large trunk which surprised me when I got the car because most smaller cars have small trunks. I have had it for two years now and it runs great. It has great brakes too! I haven't had any problems with it except for recently the back window stopped rolling down so I am having the window motor replaced. Interior is holding up well so far. It is a good size for a first car or for a small family. I have one son now and it works well for everything that I need to bring with me.

Turning capacity, good brakes, easy to drive, good mpg, large trunk, mine came with a nice sound system, I am very glad I got it. It is perfect for errands and work/school.

The seats could be more comfortable, could be more leg room in backseat. But overall it is a great car!