Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Great Little Car (LS/2.2 Automatic)
By Andrew

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a six and a half foot tall guy and my Cobalt has more than ample front seat room for me. I'm a teacher and commute 90 miles per day to work, and 400 miles a weekend to my summer job for the past two years and I have had not one single problem with the car. Performance is great for the 2.2 engine as a commuter car. I currently have 73500 miles on the car and only have brought it back to the dealership for regular maintenance. When I keep it at 60-65 MPH on the highway, I regularly get about 425 miles to a tank of gas. In the summers, I drive from the Jersey Shore to Scranton, PA, and back, and still have enough in the tank to drive around town for a couple days. I'd recommend to all.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, ample power for a commuter car, roomy front seat area, no mechanical problems at all, after almost 75000 miles, the engine is almost still silent at idle .

Suggested Improvements

I really don't have anything I'd want improved. For the $12000 I paid for it, and the $0 I've spent on repairs in 3 years, this car was well worth the investment. It's a $12000 car for sure as for as bells and whistles go, but I'd still take it cross country again if I had the chance.

Detroit's Little Muscle
By Michael

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife after trading in on a 2001 GMC Jimmy. Haven't had a whole lot of problems with the car. There were at times that it seemed to run rather hot, but the dealershp mechanics stated that running up over 235+ degrees is common. As long as the light doesn't come on and the vehicle doesn't run sluggish it perfectly OK. Also at around the same time the vehicle tended to want to stall out especially at sudden stops. But after a needed oil change and running the 93 octane with an octane booster/ injector cleaner it went away. The 148hp motor is very responsive and doesn't hesitate to peel the tires from a dead stop. I find it fun to drive when the wife lets me

Favorite Features

The sporty 148HP, 2.4L motor is great. The fact that it can eat that Ford Focus up the street any day of the week.

Suggested Improvements

Can the motor tweek to up over the 150 mark? I think it needs a little redesigning in the interior. The cup holder situation needless to say stinks, and while we did get the model with those classic manual window cranks for the sake of saving a few dollars but shouldn't everything be powered these days?

My first Chevy
By Ron Freborg

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My commute is 135 miles per day, and the gas prices were eating me alive in my 22 mpg Ranger. We determined that if I could get about 32 mpg, the gas savings would make the car payment. The car felt good, the dealer wasn't pushy and although it was used it was a certified car. I have taken it to the dealer for two minor warrenty issues, and have been very happy. This is a great little comuter car, that for 2 avg size people could be a cross country car. The interior has a few issues with the cheap plastic, but for the price of this car, it's quite affordable with a good safety rating. For the same price, I could have got an older, high milage Corolla without as many features

Favorite Features

Dash digital readout, acceleration (for a 4cyl) Firm seats

Suggested Improvements

Position of the handbrake is a pain if you keep the armrest down. I still highly recommend this car

Great mileage...get the options
By Mark

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 Cobalt has been fantastic to own so far. I have 43,000 mile swith the original tires and brakes still intact. The ride comfort leaves a little to be desired,and there is some front end noise the dealer says is normal. I drive 64 miles a day to work and average about 36 MPH as high as 42 on a good day.If you buy this car get all of the options you can afford otherwise you will tire of this car quickly. I have the LT package with the alloy rims and bigger tires as well as the pioneer radio system that was a huge suprise for a stock system. I live in Ohio and this little car has handled the last two horrible winters like a champ. It handles very well in all weather conditions.

Favorite Features

Pioneer radio system, alloy rims, and Perelli tires get the job done.

Suggested Improvements

Too much hard cheap looking plastic. Also the front end makes quite a bit of noise that cant be explained.

I love my Cobalt
By elle11

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a car and I had never heard of a Cobalt till I got to the dealer. This was the first car that I looked at and I wanted one that day and didn't want to go anywhere else. I love this car. It is a smooth ride with huge trunk space. I can't believe though that the Saturn Ion is said to be the same car. The Cobalt is 100% better than the ION all around. I can't even believe that the Cobalt is getting compared to such an ugly hunk of cheap junk. I am not saying that the Cobalt is expensive or luxury, but it is next to the ION. I would not trade my Cobalt. My dog even loves it. I have had a few minor problems, but that had something to do with the dealer's error. This is a great car.

Favorite Features

I love the driver info center that let's you know anything you need to know. It has huge trunk space, smooth ride, appealing front end, a lot of space, automatic headlights,the battery in the trunk, gas mileage, spacious head room, and how much fun it is to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The back end is not very appealing and the interior could have had a little more thought put into it.