2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews 8

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Problem after Problem
By cdowning on 06/08/09 22:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Broken the day driven off the lot. Now been in the shop 8 times for various problems. PCM/BCM issues biggest trouble. Transmission rebuilt, and still the whole front end sounds like it's about to fall apart. Terrible resale value. GM no help.

junk
By unknown on 05/20/09 08:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

dont buy!!! this car is junk my brakes never stop squeaking dealers cant explain. no room in car for anything seats stain with rain water windows dont roll down all the time airbag light on for no reason...drivers side door handle fell off...my dome light hangs down now cant get it back in!!! total garbage...my 2004 malibu rocked compared to this car

100K and still going!
By Russ on 05/18/09 15:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Cobalt 4dr SS has 101,000 miles, and still going strong! What a surprise. I really wanted a Toyota, but bought this one for much less. Glad I did. I've spent less in repairs/maintenance than any car I've ever owned. I've owned 3 VW's, 3 Honda's, 5 GM vehicles, 2 Chryler products, and 3 Ford products. This has turned out to be the most reliable car I've owned (in the first 100K miles). Let's see what the next 100k does.

Great little Chevrolet
By Yury on 04/22/09 16:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My first US car, others were imports. I bought it used with 45k on it. I am pleasantly surprised, this car runs very smoothly, acceleration is excellent, confident braking steering is easy, practical interior, only a few squeaks. Spacious trunk, LT trim offers lots of things that make you feel like you are in more expensive car. Had two visits to dealership to fix minor issues left by previous owner. He even did not bother with scheduled maintenance. Good winter tires and careful driving will take you safely through Canadian winter. All in all, Cobalt has personality that is missing in many similar Japanese cars. Nice, solid, fun car with lots of practicality in it.

I have owned 3 .. and LOVED them all!!!!
By KenyLee on 04/12/09 02:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I received my first 2005 Chevy Cobalt LS for graduation. I ended up getting t-boned by a Ford F-350 going 70 on my driver side.. totaled the Cobalt but i only had a few scratches and was good to go. Next was my 2006 Chevy Cobalt LTZ. 10 times better than the first.. I owned it for 2 yrs had 56000miles on it. i drove it from Georgia to Alaska and had not ONE problem with it the whole time. i ended up trading it in for a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS supercharged.. i wanted something sporty yet reliable and safe. this was it.. i love it and have had no problems with it yet!

Streetable Track Car
By Brian on 03/05/09 17:24 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

One of the best cars I've owned. I use it as my daily driver and weekend racer. I get 30 mpg on the freeway and 25 in town. I avg. about 27 mpg combined. Stock it has great power, track ready suspension, nice clean shifting gear box, good stereo- almost good enough to blow out the windows,comfy Recaro race buckets. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a sporty but gas friendly car or for road racing/ autocross. I also recommend upgrading it to the GMPP stage 2 kit for increased power.

Love it!
By Scott on 02/17/09 10:49 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for over a year now and I love it. I would recommend this car to anyone. I have yet to have a problem with it. Now its not the most comfortable or stand out interior I have seen, but for the price its a great car. The handling is very good, I have driven a few other new cars (Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra, Civic) I prefer the handling of the Cobalt. It's not sporty, just precise and easy.

Not bad for a daily commuter
By Biestie on 02/15/09 05:35 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my daily 75 mile round trip to work. Gas mileage and price was the #1 reason for purchasing Cobalt. In this respect, it does very well. Many people expect great things from a $12000 car, but you get what you pay for here. Interior is as cheap as I've found in almost any car, but functional. The seats can become uncomfortable if driven more than a few hours. No arm rest. Shallow cup holders. After 45000 miles of harsh MN roads, several rattles have developed including the wiring to the dome light overhead. Front wheel bearing failed at 30k CHEAP Continental tires replaced at 32k Bent front steel wheel after hitting large pot hole at 44k Rear defroster failed at 25k

Junk Car
By Bill on 02/10/09 21:51 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was a replacement vehicle for a 1989 Mazda B2600I 4x4 pickup. What a terrible trade that was. Right off the lot I could tell there was a transmission issue. Dealership refused to look at it because "It was a new car its just a break in period". After about 7k miles the problem got even worse. After several complaints to the dealer and at 15k miles the transmission was shot. After the mechanic tore it apart found some parts were missing, which caused the syncros to wear out. Even after the rebuild the transmission would still refuse to shift into 1st/reverse at times causing me to have to turn the car off to get it into 1st or reverse.

Great Little Car (LS/2.2 Automatic)
By Andrew on 01/24/09 18:58 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a six and a half foot tall guy and my Cobalt has more than ample front seat room for me. I'm a teacher and commute 90 miles per day to work, and 400 miles a weekend to my summer job for the past two years and I have had not one single problem with the car. Performance is great for the 2.2 engine as a commuter car. I currently have 73500 miles on the car and only have brought it back to the dealership for regular maintenance. When I keep it at 60-65 MPH on the highway, I regularly get about 425 miles to a tank of gas. In the summers, I drive from the Jersey Shore to Scranton, PA, and back, and still have enough in the tank to drive around town for a couple days. I'd recommend to all.