2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

Problem after Problem
By cdowning

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Broken the day driven off the lot. Now been in the shop 8 times for various problems. PCM/BCM issues biggest trouble. Transmission rebuilt, and still the whole front end sounds like it's about to fall apart. Terrible resale value. GM no help.

Favorite Features

Sun roof is nice, rear spoiler, 16" rims for cheap.

Suggested Improvements

Make a vehicle that can be fixed the first time -- or better yet one that won't break.

junk
By unknown

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

dont buy!!! this car is junk my brakes never stop squeaking dealers cant explain. no room in car for anything seats stain with rain water windows dont roll down all the time airbag light on for no reason...drivers side door handle fell off...my dome light hangs down now cant get it back in!!! total garbage...my 2004 malibu rocked compared to this car

Favorite Features

nothing

Suggested Improvements

everthing

100K and still going!
By Russ

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Cobalt 4dr SS has 101,000 miles, and still going strong! What a surprise. I really wanted a Toyota, but bought this one for much less. Glad I did. I've spent less in repairs/maintenance than any car I've ever owned. I've owned 3 VW's, 3 Honda's, 5 GM vehicles, 2 Chryler products, and 3 Ford products. This has turned out to be the most reliable car I've owned (in the first 100K miles). Let's see what the next 100k does.

Favorite Features

Handling, especially in the mountains All-season tires preferred over simple high speed rated if you drive in snow. Pioneer sound system. Ceiling height. I can sit straight up in this small car. Fuel economy 31 at very lowest, 41 at the highest (driving between 55 & 65 w/o speed changes).

Suggested Improvements

Improve interior materials. Improve plastic connector from fenders to tirewalls. Don't run under 87 octane fuel!!!! It doesn't like it. 88 or higher is best.

Great little Chevrolet
By Yury

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My first US car, others were imports. I bought it used with 45k on it. I am pleasantly surprised, this car runs very smoothly, acceleration is excellent, confident braking steering is easy, practical interior, only a few squeaks. Spacious trunk, LT trim offers lots of things that make you feel like you are in more expensive car. Had two visits to dealership to fix minor issues left by previous owner. He even did not bother with scheduled maintenance. Good winter tires and careful driving will take you safely through Canadian winter. All in all, Cobalt has personality that is missing in many similar Japanese cars. Nice, solid, fun car with lots of practicality in it.

Favorite Features

Price-performance ratio! Cobalt does everything that most of us need on road and does it well. Pick the LT trim.

Suggested Improvements

You can't ask a lot more for that much money. But, here it comes - use better interior materials. Put audio controls on wheel. Better real visibility. Better cup holders. Add aux audio input. Make fans stronger. Leave the rest as is or transfer it to the next model. I'll buy it.

I have owned 3 .. and LOVED them all!!!!
By KenyLee

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I received my first 2005 Chevy Cobalt LS for graduation. I ended up getting t-boned by a Ford F-350 going 70 on my driver side.. totaled the Cobalt but i only had a few scratches and was good to go. Next was my 2006 Chevy Cobalt LTZ. 10 times better than the first.. I owned it for 2 yrs had 56000miles on it. i drove it from Georgia to Alaska and had not ONE problem with it the whole time. i ended up trading it in for a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS supercharged.. i wanted something sporty yet reliable and safe. this was it.. i love it and have had no problems with it yet!

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING about this car is my favorite

Suggested Improvements

add a second speaker to the trunk for the sub

Streetable Track Car
By Brian

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

One of the best cars I've owned. I use it as my daily driver and weekend racer. I get 30 mpg on the freeway and 25 in town. I avg. about 27 mpg combined. Stock it has great power, track ready suspension, nice clean shifting gear box, good stereo- almost good enough to blow out the windows,comfy Recaro race buckets. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a sporty but gas friendly car or for road racing/ autocross. I also recommend upgrading it to the GMPP stage 2 kit for increased power.

Favorite Features

Pretty much everything. Easy to tune for power.

Suggested Improvements

Stability control. '08+ models have taken care of it and upped the power

Love it!
By Scott

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for over a year now and I love it. I would recommend this car to anyone. I have yet to have a problem with it. Now its not the most comfortable or stand out interior I have seen, but for the price its a great car. The handling is very good, I have driven a few other new cars (Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra, Civic) I prefer the handling of the Cobalt. It's not sporty, just precise and easy.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, with decent gas mileage. And it looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Darker interior. Stains too easily.

Not bad for a daily commuter
By Biestie

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my daily 75 mile round trip to work. Gas mileage and price was the #1 reason for purchasing Cobalt. In this respect, it does very well. Many people expect great things from a $12000 car, but you get what you pay for here. Interior is as cheap as I've found in almost any car, but functional. The seats can become uncomfortable if driven more than a few hours. No arm rest. Shallow cup holders. After 45000 miles of harsh MN roads, several rattles have developed including the wiring to the dome light overhead. Front wheel bearing failed at 30k CHEAP Continental tires replaced at 32k Bent front steel wheel after hitting large pot hole at 44k Rear defroster failed at 25k

Favorite Features

Most of my driving is 57-60 mph with few stops. Cobalt averages 32 MPG. (Don't believe the MPG computer on the dash!) Price is good for what you are buying. Pulls a 1000# of Seadoo and trailer with no problem. (Pulling out with manual is tricky)

Suggested Improvements

Stock stereo requires better speakers if you will be daily commuting and would like decent music quality. OK for talk radio. Too many rattles after 45k miles. The info center needs to display more items. (very limited coming from other GM vehicles)

Junk Car
By Bill

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was a replacement vehicle for a 1989 Mazda B2600I 4x4 pickup. What a terrible trade that was. Right off the lot I could tell there was a transmission issue. Dealership refused to look at it because "It was a new car its just a break in period". After about 7k miles the problem got even worse. After several complaints to the dealer and at 15k miles the transmission was shot. After the mechanic tore it apart found some parts were missing, which caused the syncros to wear out. Even after the rebuild the transmission would still refuse to shift into 1st/reverse at times causing me to have to turn the car off to get it into 1st or reverse.

Favorite Features

Getting rid of the car and buying an American Built Toyota Tundra.

Suggested Improvements

Start building the car in the US with US parts. I'm tired of seeing the so called "American Car Companies" vehicles that have Mexico, Canada, Japan, Indonesia, Italy, etc on the "Built/Assembled In" Stickers.

Great Little Car (LS/2.2 Automatic)
By Andrew

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a six and a half foot tall guy and my Cobalt has more than ample front seat room for me. I'm a teacher and commute 90 miles per day to work, and 400 miles a weekend to my summer job for the past two years and I have had not one single problem with the car. Performance is great for the 2.2 engine as a commuter car. I currently have 73500 miles on the car and only have brought it back to the dealership for regular maintenance. When I keep it at 60-65 MPH on the highway, I regularly get about 425 miles to a tank of gas. In the summers, I drive from the Jersey Shore to Scranton, PA, and back, and still have enough in the tank to drive around town for a couple days. I'd recommend to all.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, ample power for a commuter car, roomy front seat area, no mechanical problems at all, after almost 75000 miles, the engine is almost still silent at idle .

Suggested Improvements

I really don't have anything I'd want improved. For the $12000 I paid for it, and the $0 I've spent on repairs in 3 years, this car was well worth the investment. It's a $12000 car for sure as for as bells and whistles go, but I'd still take it cross country again if I had the chance.