Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Not an ideal long term car
By gessvt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at the end of 2006, dealer took about $6000 off sticker. Car has had numerous repairs under the factory extended warranty, including 3 sunroof replacements. Car also eats brake rotors. Recommend buying the best rotors out there if you want to get mileage out of them; have them bedded as well. Car is starting to show rust bubbles on hood, truly a shame since it gets washed and waxed on a regular basis. Painted interior materials flake away. Rattly steering column noises. Wheels corroded after about a year. No engine or transmission troubles yet. I hope to get a couple more years out of it, but by then it will be a disposable car with no trade-in value. Avoid.

Smooth 2.4 L engine, respectable power, great fuel economy.

Hopefully now that GM has exited from bankruptcy, they will try not to "cost engineer" their entry level models as much. The Cruise should be a big improvement.

Driver side door will not open
By UpsetCustomer

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Went to lunch found my drivers side door would not open. 2x before lock issues. Supposedly fixed by Riverton. Apparently not. Two weeks after same issue. Took 8 months to get it fixed. They had my parts on the shelf and never called me back. Closed the repair order waiting for payment from the warranty company. Now the damn door will not open. Want to charge me $150 just to tell me what is wrong. I cut my panel, reached in, all of the mechanisms are working. Still cant get it open. This is a recall problem. Check the web and see how many others have the issue. I refuse to pay and I will continue my journey to find someone to fix my car at no charge. Never buy a GM again.

I do a lot of driving. Has been reliable. But the recalls on it and the damn door not opening is so bad. The customer service is horrible too. I feel like I have been scammed again in life.

Tell Riverton Chevy to get off of their bottoms and do some work. I have two recalls and now the door. They were the last to work on the cars door locking issues.

Bad Car!
By Cody

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well I bought it hoping for it to be my "reliable vehicle". Just after I bought it the sensors kept setting something off and making it kill. Now the front end I going out. It needs a new control arm. Then slowly the passenger window kept moving slower and slower and now will not move. Then my whole sunroof switch fell out 1 day. The car is crap. So I am not at all avoiding the problems that I wanted to. This vehicle is just creating more. It should've had many more recalls. I used to really like Chevrolet, but now I'm not so sure I will buy one once again.

sunroof, and quite comfortable inside. i am 6'2" and have room in it.

Just plain better quality into parts and focusing on long life driving not just to 30k.

Cobalt Review
By Maurer.139

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Besides the brakes needing to be replaced I have never had a problem with this car. It looks nice and it drives well.

The crank down windows and the basic stereo that was included. Plus, the spoiler makes the car look nicer.

Sunroof!

A headache
By Sal

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Good for the first three years. Trouble w/ engine light . Will not pass inspection when light is on. Can't find out what the problem is. Tires keep needing air. Had two tires sealed twice. Now a third tire is going soft every month. Do not like the gas cap.

Do like the mileage I get. Easy to drive & park Nice radio.

Better grade of wheels. Lower emission standards.