Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

be careful
By carbuyer

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've put this car through the crash test! At 25k miles, I had experienced some brake problems...eventually, they completely failed and I had $5k of damage to fix when I rearended a car (Chevy said they didn't fail and was my fault). At 35k miles, my radio screen broke, and 14k miles later the replacement broke. I've had trouble with the key getting stuck and I can't get it out, and once couldn't get it on. Most recently though, I had a bad accident...I can say one thing - this car falls apart fast in accidents, but I walked away with minor injuries in what should have killed me...I wouldn't go chevy again due to all the problems I've had...

sporty look

needs rear windshield wiper (use rainx), fix breaks, better radio that doesn't go out, have an ignition that doesn't make the key get stuck, move the emergency break to a spot you can get to

junk
By unknown

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

dont buy!!! this car is junk my brakes never stop squeaking dealers cant explain. no room in car for anything seats stain with rain water windows dont roll down all the time airbag light on for no reason...drivers side door handle fell off...my dome light hangs down now cant get it back in!!! total garbage...my 2004 malibu rocked compared to this car

nothing

everthing

Not bad for a daily commuter
By Biestie

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my daily 75 mile round trip to work. Gas mileage and price was the #1 reason for purchasing Cobalt. In this respect, it does very well. Many people expect great things from a $12000 car, but you get what you pay for here. Interior is as cheap as I've found in almost any car, but functional. The seats can become uncomfortable if driven more than a few hours. No arm rest. Shallow cup holders. After 45000 miles of harsh MN roads, several rattles have developed including the wiring to the dome light overhead. Front wheel bearing failed at 30k CHEAP Continental tires replaced at 32k Bent front steel wheel after hitting large pot hole at 44k Rear defroster failed at 25k

Most of my driving is 57-60 mph with few stops. Cobalt averages 32 MPG. (Don't believe the MPG computer on the dash!) Price is good for what you are buying. Pulls a 1000# of Seadoo and trailer with no problem. (Pulling out with manual is tricky)

Stock stereo requires better speakers if you will be daily commuting and would like decent music quality. OK for talk radio. Too many rattles after 45k miles. The info center needs to display more items. (very limited coming from other GM vehicles)

Love it but hate it
By britt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Cobalt. It gets great gas mileage. However I hate it. I have had my steering column replaced twice along with the control arms on both sides. These problems also created more issues for me with my brakes and needing to replace my tires because the dealership refused to fix them when I took my car in. But finally with persistence the issues were resolved. But it's a month later and the noise is back. I was told this was not a problem that is heard of with my car but lately I hear that the cobalt is known for their front end issues. But other than the front end issue and overall when my car is fixed I do honestly enjoy it.

Great Car
By Madcatz

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

2.2L with 5-speed manual transmission. Great car, I've had no problems with it yet at 32k miles. I could not say enough about the awesome gas mileage I get out of it. I average 400 miles per tank of gas, usually about 420 miles, and have gone over 450 miles on one tank before. Gets about 39-40mpg at 50-55mph. But being as a manual transmission, gas stinks in traffic jams. A/C works great, it gets cold really fast. Heater warms up very quick in the winter.

Stick shift, fast warming heater and cooling A/C. Decent stereo with subwoofer. Drives great in the snow.

No arm rest for stick shifts? Very small back windows gives very big blind spot. Cramped back seat, no leg room.