Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Decent car for the price
By abgtbikes

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car everyday I used to put about 150 miles on it a day but the facts, brakes got pretty crape fast I bought new ones and the just went through them so fast, front end makes a lot of road noise, struts rattle a lot just had new ones put it and they still rattle, when you brake the steering wheel shakes as well as the car sometimes (might be the brakes who knows) insides cheap plastic has decent stereo in it. Not the fastest car but does pick up pretty quick its a fun little toy car that will start up for you everyday and give you the gas mileage you want. I'm not disappointed with this car its pretty good and worth the price

Sunroof by far, the stock stereo was good, tight steering fun to drive

front end road noise and lifetime of front end parts other than that this is a good car

I would never recommend this car
By woody

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is bad news. It looks sporty and is inexpensive, and that's what got me. I bought with 18,000 miles. Having issues with transmission, front struts are bad, parking break is too weak to hold on a hill, fuel economy calculator is not accurate. Stick shift makes it fun to drive sometimes, but does not have cruise control. Came with SS spoiler, so it looks sporty, but is a pile of junk. How can the struts and tranny have issues at 20,000 miles? This car is cheap for a reason. GM cut corners big time. I used to love them, but I don't know if I will be able to buy one again after this pile. As much as I hate to say it, look for a ford. Stay away from Chevy, especially the cobalt.

Engine is very quiet at low RPM. Decent pep for small engine. Seats are pretty comfy.

Improve build quality all around. Get rid of plastic under hood, it rattles all the time. Better manual tranny, not smooth and now issues with 1,2,3 and R at 20,000 miles. Improve fuel economy calculator accuracy. Stronger parking break. Better interior quality. I think I know why Chevy discontinued

Best car I have ever owned
By jtucker0142

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car at least an hour back and forth to work every day and it has never once broke down. I change my oil every 4000 miles and keep a clean air filter. I just hit 90,000 and going strong. my key has never once got stuck in the ignition and gas does not come gushing out when its full. Really don't understand why there are so many bad reviews.

i like the fact that the engine is only at 2200 rpm at 70 mph. This improves gas mileage and engine life.

The only thing i would change about this car is the cartridge style oil filter.

This car was a mistake
By Joel

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We needed a nice car and that is what we thought we were getting. I bought this car and there was a tapping noise in the front end. I made it known to the salesperson and they took it into the shop. The shop said that the strut arms and some other things need to be changed out. They change them out and charged an arm and a leg. The dealership paid half and I need to pay the other. After about a week, the same stuff is happening and this time it is shaking even more. I took it back to the dealerships shop and the Mechanic told me that the sound that we are hearing and the shaking that it is doing, is just road noise. Now when I try to stop, the car makes kind of like a "jack brake," noise.

I like the fuel ECON that the car gets.

I Think that there should be more recalls on the front end. Is it going to take someone suing the company for a wreck before they do it?

Don't Buy it!
By Courtney

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Worst car ever. Like someone else said, it should have had a lot more recalls than it does. My car crapped out at 37,000 miles. First car problem I had was 2 months after I drove it off the lot. Your car shouldn't break down on the side of a highway when it only has 300 miles on it! I spent more time driving the rental cars because of the amount of time spent on repairs! I ended up letting it repo so I didn't have to deal with it any longer since the dealership wouldn't take it back.

It's a nice small car thats easy to park anywhere. I also liked the battery was in the trunk so you could jump front or back. Came in handy for all the break downs!

Chevy should take this car and start from scratch again!

• SUV