2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Cobalt
By Kelly on 03/17/10 12:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my cobalt and was in love with it. Couple months in my window washer motor went out. At the same time my door locks kept locking and unlocking. I had bought an extended warranty Thank God! The a/c motor went out my struts needed replace along with the sway bar and bushings! My car spends more time in the shop than at home. My car locks me out whenever it likes and they say there is no problem!!! My husband demanded I buy Chevy when I went looking for a car I should have stayed with FORD. Now there is a recall on the steering. I wish I could afford to trade it in

Just Not Sure
By sw44057 on 02/15/10 12:39 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because my Malibu broke down in front of a Chevy dealership and I was too pissed off to repair it again. Asked for a car with no frills (only planned to keep it a year or two) and got a cobalt. Rides well enough and no huge issues but recently things are going downhill. My car would not recognize that it was in park and had to fix it for $400. No I am being told that the control arms are shot and the mechanic said this is an issue on every cobalt he see's with more than 20k miles. I think I'm going to trade it in on a F-150 with my tax return

2006 Cobalt powerstering and key ignitio
By Ash-816 on 02/10/10 14:27 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 06 cobalt on feb, 2006. At aprox 36,000 miles, 2,000 miles after my warranty expired, one day my key would not release from the ignition.. So I left my key in the car until my brother found a tiny button inside the steering column that release my key. So I have to press it everytime. Then about 1 week later power steering light came on. No big deal right. Turns out it was electrical and the dealer wanted 1500.00 for power steering and 500 to replace key ignition.. Now that cant be normal on a brand new. Gm need to hurry up with a recall.. I would never buy a gm vehicle ever again

Needs to be Recalled
By What a joke on 01/26/10 19:44 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had several minor problems with my cobalt, over the years, including needing a new windshield wiper motor after two years. However, this new problem takes the cake. The sensor that signals the car is in park doesn't work. Therefore I cannot turn off my car and remove my key, until the battery dies. My friend who also has a 2006 cobalt had the same problem, she got hers fixed for $450. They claim not a common problem, but strange both of us had the issue. Mine is automatic and hers is manual, so that sounds like more than a few people would have this problem.

Last GM
By Nate on 01/04/10 12:47 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

List of what has been replaced between 32k and 46k since I have owned this car. Fuel injectors, sunroof track (stuck open), oem tires with high wear, the clutch (with normal driving and already was replaced once by previous owner), E-brake twice and still doesn't hold on a hill. I have driven GM for 9 years and this is the last GM I will ever own. I am currently having the clutch replaced and it drives exactly the same as it did when i drove it off the lot and it was GM certified used vehicle it just makes noise in the cold.

worst car ever!!!!
By Fousek11 on 12/17/09 11:53 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car hoping 2 get away from a all the problems... But in all reality.. I've had more problems with this 1 car than I had with the 2 other ones I had before it... Brakes go bad quickly, one of the cylinders went bad ($200), the vent motor is broken ($220), fixin the bumper after an accident cost $600... N now the best part... I need a new a/c compressor ($300-$600 for the part alone... And about $250-$300 for the labor)... I've spent more money tryin to fix this car Rather than just paying it off n being on my way... I used to love Chevy... Now my view on them is very vague...

Not bad for an entry level/commuter car!
By Shirl on 12/14/09 13:08 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has worked perfectly! Large roomy trunk with folding back seats. Fun to drive. quieter than the ford focus I test drove. We did have a problem with the A/C actuator switch which I still have yet to fix. Makes clicking noise for 2 minutes when car is started. We will fix when actually broken. Cheap part but labor intensive as the dash has to come out. Great on gas mileage. 36/28 in Colorado! My only real complaint would be that the body easily dents and scratches. This is an entry level car. Great for College bound kid or as a commuter car. I have had no major issues 3+ years! :)

It's A Piece
By SmlTwnGirl on 12/14/09 09:00 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I loved this car for the first 4 months, you couldn't get me out of it. Then I started to not like it so much. The car had 5000 miles on it when I bought it. After 4 months it was in the shop 3 times within 2 weeks for the same coil problem. I then took it back to get the A/C fixed, my cruise control fixed, my emergency break replaced, I needed to have a new programmer installed, and just recently got it back due to another coil problem. It will now be going back to the shop for an exhaust leak. The clear coat is also chipping off the front bumper. By far this is the worst car and I will never own another GM or Chevy vehicle again. Wouldn't recommend anyone to buy one!!!

BADbalt!
By BADbalt! on 12/03/09 06:54 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought the car the battery had to be charged b/c it was dead from sitting on the lot.SHOULD HAVE BEEN MY SIGN!7 days later I was stranded with a dead battery.2 months later brakes & rators had to be replaced. Now for the real problem...EVERYTIME it rains I have water sitting in my floorboard.3 yrs later and A LOT of parts replaced they still don't know where its coming from. I get in my car on 12/2/09 back up and hit the brakes and a waterfall comes rushing down from my roof onto me, my dash and filled my cup holders. Even though this is pre-existing GM wont help! But they want me to buy another car??? SERIOUSLY! I am so upside down with my wonderful GM product I have to hang onto it!

chevy is the worst
By anthonyrini on 11/11/09 22:19 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I started the unhappy owner of a chevy cobalt but at 60k miles i got a check engine light "o" no probably a smog problem nope come to find out that cylinder 3 has lost compression so now i need a new motor wow i hope that chevy reads this i'm very unhappy chevy stole my money

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.