2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Klunky
By JB on 08/25/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bread truck handling, braking, and acceleration. Rattles and clunks. Cheapest kind of plastic and mouse fur interior. Air conditioning takes a long time to cool down on a hot day. That the vent always defaults to "open" doesn't help. The LED multi-function odometer tries to do too much. Noisy engine when pushed. Automatic transmission can't decide which gear it wants to be in. This car's begging for a stick shift. Gas gauge hard to read.

When will GM learn
By sanmech on 08/06/08 14:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new with 0% down for 72 months. Good deal-- With 9000 miles on the car I finally realized why my hands were killing me when I drove the car. The steering wheel is hard as a rock, and I cannot drive it anymore. So, I give it to my wife and guess what? Her hands hurt. A call to GM was made and of course they said sorry, but that is all. Car now in shop for a rattle they cant find. They replaced 2 struts and 2 strut mounts, 2 stabilizer links and 2 control arms. Still rattles. How many more times can one get burnt with a GM product. Last time for me. My Honda Civic 2003 I just bought still runs and rides like a new car with 86000 miles on it. You tell me why to buy American again!

So Far...So Good
By Colleen on 08/02/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine 3 weeks ago with 39,000 on it. The gas mileage on this thing is incredible. (Coming from a former Jeep owner). I wish the interior cloth and carpet was a bit darker though, it stains pretty easily. Cupholder placement is a bit idiotic. Roomy interior. The sensor for the passenger seat airbags is great, and so is the DIC (driver info. center). Trunk is huge! Looks nice, cute and sporty without being over the top. Exactly what I needed.

Miserable
By sara on 07/17/08 10:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The '06 Cobalt was the first car I'd bought. It has been extremely disappointing all the way around. Within the first month of owning it, I had to take it in twice: once because the wiring on the safety harness had been chewed by rodents at either the dealership or a GM facility and had remained undetected until my check engine light went on a couple weeks after I brought it home and next because my ignition stuck and it had to be towed to replace the gear shift in the floor. Since then, I've had to replace the fuel sensor and the fuel pump. Other repairs are pending even now. The car has less than 8000 miles on it. My advice to all thinking about buying one is to research carefully!

Was my first car
By Kelly on 06/15/08 21:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got the 2006 Cobalt lt sedan for my first car. I love how easy it is to drive, it is small enough to fit into tight parking spaces. It has great turning capacity as well! It has really awesome gas mileage. It has a large trunk which surprised me when I got the car because most smaller cars have small trunks. I have had it for two years now and it runs great. It has great brakes too! I haven't had any problems with it except for recently the back window stopped rolling down so I am having the window motor replaced. Interior is holding up well so far. It is a good size for a first car or for a small family. I have one son now and it works well for everything that I need to bring with me.

2006 Chevy Cobalt LTZ
By 2006 Chevy Cobalt on 05/27/08 16:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Car has a lot of get up and go for a 4 cyl and good handling. Gets about 26-28 mpg aroudn town according to the dash mpg calculator. I have 48K plus miles and have had no problems.

2006 Cobalt
By OLD GUY on 05/25/08 18:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the little Cobalt in 06. Didn't know for sure then that gas prices would rampage out of control. The Cobalt was a good pick. There are other cars I would prefer but for the money and what you get the Cobalt is hard to beat. Zero problems. Never been back to the dealer. The engine and auto transmission rate high for GM. More than once I have dusted a BMW 3 for a fair distance. I can only imagine what an 09 with turbo would run like. It would have to be an asphalt scorcher. I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs. I fit fine. I would prefer the the seating a little higher. Easier for old guys like me with bad backs. I wouldn't use it for a long cross country trip. But many do.

Fabulous Car
By zmurof on 04/16/08 08:02 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in Nov 2005 and have driven around 45k miles since then and cannot really complain. The ride is a bit stiff on bumpy roads but is a joy to drive in mountain roads. The engine has adequate power(2.4L) for all situations. Other than regular service I haven't had any reliability issues. No squeaks or rattles with regards to the interior. However, like other reviewers have mentioned the interior is still down on quality and there is definately room for improvement. Some of the plastics especially in areas of high contact(like the door handles/audio controls) are starting to wear out. The center armrest is awkwardly placed. I average around 30mpg on highway(auto)

Fun ecomomy
By Shawn on 04/06/08 12:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At the time I bought this car, I had an 87 mile one way comute to work. I was averaging 34-35 MPG. I have since relocated, and on my drive to my new location, I had averaged 41 MPG at one point of the drive I have recently noticed a dip in my fuel economy, but also received a recall notice for fuel injectors...hopefully getting them replaced will restore my original MPG. This car is fun to drive, has a great sporty look, and is pretty comfortable for 2 adults...rear seating is a little cramped. There is a lot of trunk space, but limited interior storage...an overhead compartment might be an option.

Adequate for the cost
By scottwalker69 on 03/19/08 19:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have just driven this car over 59,000 miles since my purchase about 2 1/2 years ago. I average around 38 MPG on the highway and around 30-32mpg average on each tank I have not had to take the car into the shop at all since I bought it except for routine oil changes. There is a minor squeak when the heater is turned on and some rattles in the dash, but overall, I have been satisfied with my purchase. The material is "cheap" but does the job. I drive around 100 miles per day for my commute and I have been content with the car. It has been reliable. The only reason I would not buy this car ever again is because there are some foreign cars that are more reliable.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.