2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
junk
By unknown on 05/20/09 08:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

dont buy!!! this car is junk my brakes never stop squeaking dealers cant explain. no room in car for anything seats stain with rain water windows dont roll down all the time airbag light on for no reason...drivers side door handle fell off...my dome light hangs down now cant get it back in!!! total garbage...my 2004 malibu rocked compared to this car

Not bad for a daily commuter
By Biestie on 02/15/09 05:35 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my daily 75 mile round trip to work. Gas mileage and price was the #1 reason for purchasing Cobalt. In this respect, it does very well. Many people expect great things from a $12000 car, but you get what you pay for here. Interior is as cheap as I've found in almost any car, but functional. The seats can become uncomfortable if driven more than a few hours. No arm rest. Shallow cup holders. After 45000 miles of harsh MN roads, several rattles have developed including the wiring to the dome light overhead. Front wheel bearing failed at 30k CHEAP Continental tires replaced at 32k Bent front steel wheel after hitting large pot hole at 44k Rear defroster failed at 25k

Love it but hate it
By britt on 11/03/08 20:03 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Cobalt. It gets great gas mileage. However I hate it. I have had my steering column replaced twice along with the control arms on both sides. These problems also created more issues for me with my brakes and needing to replace my tires because the dealership refused to fix them when I took my car in. But finally with persistence the issues were resolved. But it's a month later and the noise is back. I was told this was not a problem that is heard of with my car but lately I hear that the cobalt is known for their front end issues. But other than the front end issue and overall when my car is fixed I do honestly enjoy it.

Great Car
By Madcatz on 09/19/08 14:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

2.2L with 5-speed manual transmission. Great car, I've had no problems with it yet at 32k miles. I could not say enough about the awesome gas mileage I get out of it. I average 400 miles per tank of gas, usually about 420 miles, and have gone over 450 miles on one tank before. Gets about 39-40mpg at 50-55mph. But being as a manual transmission, gas stinks in traffic jams. A/C works great, it gets cold really fast. Heater warms up very quick in the winter.

Better than my Japanese made Mazda
By Craigski on 08/22/08 17:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I tried the Cobalt for the price. At 45,000 no problems whatsover. Perfect? by no means. Dependable? Better than the Subaru & Mazda. True story... my son's brand new Civic had the steering column catch fire as he drove it from the showroom. I never laughed so hard as he said...Buy Japanese! The salesman turned tomato red. I laughed even harder!

Pleasantly surprised
By Chris N. on 08/07/08 00:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to give an American vehicle one more chance to impress me and the Cobalt been up to the task. I have the base model LS with only cruise control as an added option. It has gotten terrific gas mileage on long trips (36 mpg) and around town averages over 32 mpg. I have had no mechanical problems with it after almost 2 and half years of daily use. It still rides quietly and comfortably and has plenty of ummp! to merge into traffic on the highway. It seats 4 avg. size adults. My only complaints are lack of interior storage space and, while the storage capacity of the trunk is ample for an economy car, the trunk entry is too small. Other than that, for a daily commuter GM got it right.

Cobalt great
By sam on 07/22/08 21:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 2.2 engine with a 5 speed manual transmission. I never get below 34 mpg even in the city. The car has plenty of power and the only maintenance needed is oil changes.

My 2006 Cobalt
By smb on 06/19/08 07:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new, when my 2001 Malibu went into the shop for the what seemed like the 100th time. Anyway after dumping over 8000 in repairs into this Malibu, I reluctantly bought the Cobalt since I was not impressed with GM. But this car didn't bring my confidence back, after 2 months of ownership my driver's side window wouldn't go down I took in and a couple days after getting it back the door handle fell off, and the whole inside door panel was loose after they had taken it off. and never could get back on right. And to top it off this car lost half its value in 12 months, not good.

Love it!
By Gorgeous Gal08 on 06/08/08 11:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Good handling car. Has good get up and go power for a 2.2 4 cylinder. Rear end is a little high with spoiler to back up on onto a slight incline. Love the round tail lights and the sleek finish on the front. Good car for the money and gets awesome gas mileage.

Love my Purple SS!
By Megz on 04/24/08 14:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Really, you can't go wrong with a car that's got great MPG, is sporty, fun to drive, and good to look at. My husband laughs because it's purple, but off the line and down the road, my Purple SS beat his 2500HD and left it in the dust.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.