Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 299 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Very Fun Ride
By dawnnelson

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

My SSSC was my first ever new car and is still going strong to this day. I've put tons of mileage on it going back and forth from the Seattle area to the Phoenix area and have had absolutely no problems with it. Incredibly fun to drive everywhere. Even handled heavy snow on Cabbage in Oregeon without chains or studs, and without batting an eyelash. Young people are drawn to this car and other makes and models in this class. With my experience (ie; 10 to 20 years their senior, with 10 years of professional CDL driving experience under my belt), no one has bested me in my baby yet. Thought about buying a Mustang before I got this and glad I didn't.

Awesome speed off the line, handles everything I throw at it, and turns heads.

Interior could use a few improvements, and I can't understand why a loaded car doesn't even have the option of adding heated mirrors.

Mixed feelings...
By 823freckles

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I got my cobalt in 2009 with 17000 miles on it. I was constantly having problems with it-interior quality is awkward and shoddy, I failed an emissions test shortly after buying it, and some other problems I honestly can't remember, except they were costly. I also hated that it seemed to turn way too widely, at least for me-handling was awkward. I would have rated it lower, but as I just totaled it and walked away sans injuries, I'm giving it a slightly higher rating. But I think there are cars just as safe, but more enjoyable to drive out there.

First and never the last!
By jujujujosh7

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I traded my 2002 mustang gt convertible for my 2006 cobalt ss, and I will never ever go back to ford! Chevrolet, really did a great job on this car.
I get around 29 MPG's, gas is a bit esxspensive but it saves you money in the long run, the clutch is just fine, shifts just fine, runs even better, the interior is really nice, I wish i had the heated seats!
it does torque steer, and if you put a cold air intake on it! it whines and whistles very loudly!
I am very very satisfied with it, and I occasionally drive this car very hard I am 20 so lol, and it drives perfect! so much technology!

Exterior, the speed, the sound system! auto tint !

not sure

Unseen-Unknown problems
By mnguy2

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought an '06 Cobalt (LTZ) about a month ago and have quite the story to tell.
I took the car for a two-day test drive and brought it to a trusted mechanic (everything checked out).
A week later, the car stalls out on me in stop-and-go traffic, so I brought it to the dealer and they take about a week to try to figure the problem out, they are telling me they can't figure out whats wrong with it.
I started driving it again and about a week later it stalled out on me twice in stop-and-go traffic...dealer has had the car for going on two weeks and still can't find the problem.
FYI, I treat my cars well, I don't floor it everywhere I go...Chevy has lost my respect.

Heated driver seats, somewhat attractive dash display, ability to see digital display of oil life and coolant temps.

I suggest that Chevy focuses on building a reliable vehicle that doesn't break down every week. I owned a Ford for the last 5 years and never had a single engine/electrical/tranny/fuel system problem (and it was an 12 yr old vehicle).

CHEVROLET COBALT 2006 IS A LEMON & needs to be recalled !!
By rednozepit83

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS since 2008. I bought it used with 22,000 miles on it. Since I have had the car it has been a disaster! I have spent a few thousand on repairs not including the repairs that were done under warranty. The 1st month the sunroof motor went bad. Then the wiring to my dome lights needed to be replaced. The OEM stereo needed to be replaced at 30,000.
Thermostat went bad at 40,000 miles. Both 02 exhaust sensors at 50,000 miles. The Intake & the Exhaust camshaft actuators. Catalytic converter at 60,000. BOTH back window motors bad at 65,000 miles. ALL 4 Fuel injectors bad at 75,000 miles and im sure more to come.

The car came with a Pioneer sound system. I like the stereo buttons on the steering wheel. The rims are nice too. That's it. There are more things I dis-like than anything.

Make a better car the first time. If you look up Chevy cobalt from 05-07 there are some major issues that Chevy has just turned a blind eye to. The interior of the car gets dirty so fast since it is a light gray. All of the interior hardware has a silver color coating that rubs off after a year or so. They needed to put a dome light in the back seat area and not just the one placed under the rear view. They needed to put a AV outlet in the car for a I-pod.