Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged

SS 2.0L 4-cyl. Supercharger 5-speed Manual - (53 reviews )

I have owned 3 .. and LOVED them all!!!!
By KenyLee

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I received my first 2005 Chevy Cobalt LS for graduation. I ended up getting t-boned by a Ford F-350 going 70 on my driver side.. totaled the Cobalt but i only had a few scratches and was good to go. Next was my 2006 Chevy Cobalt LTZ. 10 times better than the first.. I owned it for 2 yrs had 56000miles on it. i drove it from Georgia to Alaska and had not ONE problem with it the whole time. i ended up trading it in for a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS supercharged.. i wanted something sporty yet reliable and safe. this was it.. i love it and have had no problems with it yet!

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING about this car is my favorite

Suggested Improvements

add a second speaker to the trunk for the sub

Streetable Track Car
By Brian

One of the best cars I've owned. I use it as my daily driver and weekend racer. I get 30 mpg on the freeway and 25 in town. I avg. about 27 mpg combined. Stock it has great power, track ready suspension, nice clean shifting gear box, good stereo- almost good enough to blow out the windows,comfy Recaro race buckets. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a sporty but gas friendly car or for road racing/ autocross. I also recommend upgrading it to the GMPP stage 2 kit for increased power.

Favorite Features

Pretty much everything. Easy to tune for power.

Suggested Improvements

Stability control. '08+ models have taken care of it and upped the power

One of the best cars I've had
By souprdog

I've had this car for about 2 months now and I think the Cobalt SS (5 speed) is very under-rated among the other cars in its class and price range. With a stock engine pushing 205hp the car is very reliable. The day after I bought the Cobalt I drove 1100 just stoping to fill up for gas. In a month I put over 2000 miles on the car. Ihe interior is average for the size of the car. It does have a pretty big trunk. Also the factory Pioneer audio system with the sub was a very nice touch. The only problem that I had with the car was if you pump octane 83 gas on it (like I did) and drive for about 7-8 hrs the car will feel shaky like it's not getting enough fuel so I stick with pumping it with 91 octane

Favorite Features

5 speed, supercharger, leather bucket seats, Pioneer sound system, the entire look of the car, stock 205hp

Suggested Improvements

RWD or AWD, 6 speed, a better built center console, stock GM stage 1 or 2

Fun drive
By Beau2006

Car is a blast to drive although if it had a little more power, it would be even better. I am sure it would be worth the extra money to buy the new 2009 turbo with 260hp. The 2006 Super Charged is fun with 205hp. It gets great gas mileage and seems to pull well on the top end. The interior is roomy for the front but if you have the seats all the way back, the back seat would be a little cramped. What can I say, its a coupe. I have a blue Cobalt and the paint seems to be of good quality.

Favorite Features

XM satellite, sunroof, spoiler. The 5 speed is a lot of fun, the color

Suggested Improvements

General Motors seems to have improved on the cars for 2009. 55 extra horse power and the mpg is still at 24/30 so GM has really built a good car for the money. Car does need a center console to store cd's.

Do not buy!
By chevy_3948

I bought the car June 30 2006, I was so excited to get it, I traded my 2006 VW Jetta 2.5 for it. The day I bought it, it went in to the shop for the first time with me found out later it had been in the shop previous to me buying it. It has had probably almost $10,000 in work done to it. It has had and O2 sensor, PCM, 6 radios, HVAC controls, 3 valve cover gaskets, pass. window switch, Supercharger, tranny, clutch, drivers side drive axle, interior trim pieces from peeling, exterior temp sensor, rear bowtie, the rims are corroding and I'm sure there is more I lost track though.

Favorite Features

Power and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that runs well.