Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Best I've Ever Had!
By cjanenem

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love my car! It has great mileage, comfy and plus plenty of room in the trunk.

Favorite Features

outstanding sound system

Suggested Improvements

usb outlet

Maybe I'm jinxed? Oh wait.. it's not me; it's the Chevy
By j_123

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Std. It's very shiny and pretty, comfortable to drive, good on gas, handles well... it just has a FEW issues. I'm trying so hard to give it the benefit of the doubt: "poor little car! I'm sure now that it's been fixed AGAIN it will run fine... it'll be ok this time". But no, time and time again it breaks down with the same issues. Eek. Please see the following issues, which are not listed in chronological order so please don't "diagnose" the issue based on the following order. I have taken the car to 4 different shops: 2 different GM dealerships and 2 privately owned shops. Still, no luck solving the issues. Tons of money spent fixing the car! Money pit.

Favorite Features

Issue # 1: Aluminum Oil Pan. I'm driving to my Grandfather's memorial. The ceremony is at the graveyard and it's a short gravel road to get there. A small stone hits the oil pan and blasts a hole through it. Engine seizes. Paid over $3000 to have a new/used engine put in it. Aluminum, what the heck?! And the worst day ever for it to happen! Issue#2: Sun-roof Button Falls off. It's hot out, you want to open the sunroof so you push the button... the whole contraption/case falls off in your hand and the button itself dangles. You get it fixed, it happens again. Issue#3: Key Sticks in Ignition. You turn the car off, try to remove the key, it sticks in there. You turn the wheel, still nothing.

Suggested Improvements

Issue #4: CD Player Display Issue. The CD player randomly has weird glowing boxes display across it. You can still play music but you can't see anything on the display except all of the glowing boxes, and you can't change the channel/volume/device. Issue#5. Check Charging System. Car enters battery save mode. You'll loose power in steering, breaks, radio, A/C, lights, airbags, dash displays, guages, etc. Car looks like it is off but still drives, no breaks. It will then stop dead in the middle of road and you will not be able to move shifter into nuetral to push it to side, nor will your hazard lights work. Have had battery and alternator replaced; still has same issues. Happens once/month.

It's an okay car.
By dqirving

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first car. It was a really beautiful gift! However, I got the car in early May and I live in Texas and my A/C never really worked (And my signal had issues). Roughly two weeks after getting the car the Power Steering went out on me. Then I get the car back and it's been okay. The air still does not work and I haven't had the car for two months yet. I'm already trading it in because the dealers sold me a car that had problems that they weren't willing to fix in the first place because it would cause the price to jack up and then it would be nearly impossible to sell. Overall, I loved driving that car and it got me to and from, but it was pretty small, being that it is a coupe.

Favorite Features

The comfort. Sound system was nice. Rides very smooth!

Suggested Improvements

More fuel efficient. That tank had to be filled up a little too often for my liking. Fix the power steering problem. I have a friend whose dad died because of the he car stalling on him and he got smashed into. It wasn't a cobalt but it was a Chevy.

Great Car
By blizbiggy

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car early spring of 2011 with 101K miles on it. So far I have replaced the front brakes and rotors and the business I bought it off of put a bran new clutch in it. I have put 20K on it myself this past year. Reliability is great and mileage is great with a nice get-up-and-go. Currently in colder weather at 32.5MPG and got 35.5MPG during this past summer. The only issues with the car so far being the sunroof track broke and that the stereo display is dying (got a kenwood double-din to pop in it). The buttons for the display also are kinda cheap and you have to press it just right to make it change.

Favorite Features

Nice get-up-and-go. Was a good sounding stereo while it lasted. Automatic windows Great fuel economy Plenty of room even for a small car

Suggested Improvements

Better track mechanism for the sunroof. Make the darn thing out of metal for heavens sake so this crap doesn't shatter/break.

Very Fun Ride
By dawnnelson

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

My SSSC was my first ever new car and is still going strong to this day. I've put tons of mileage on it going back and forth from the Seattle area to the Phoenix area and have had absolutely no problems with it. Incredibly fun to drive everywhere. Even handled heavy snow on Cabbage in Oregeon without chains or studs, and without batting an eyelash. Young people are drawn to this car and other makes and models in this class. With my experience (ie; 10 to 20 years their senior, with 10 years of professional CDL driving experience under my belt), no one has bested me in my baby yet. Thought about buying a Mustang before I got this and glad I didn't.

Favorite Features

Awesome speed off the line, handles everything I throw at it, and turns heads.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could use a few improvements, and I can't understand why a loaded car doesn't even have the option of adding heated mirrors.