Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Best bang per buck
By mikedubreuil

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has to be the best bang per buck for performance and styling. I get nothing but compliments about it and the same people are very surprised its a Chevy

Favorite Features

Excellent audio system. Great steering column controls

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastics could be improved

Avoid at all costs
By kemorc

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've been in the dealership for constant warranty work on this thing. I've got the 2.2 and the terrible Getrag manual transmission. Let's start with the tires. Continentals are junk, if there is moisture on the road, traction has become a thing of the past. Brakes have ceramic pads but terrible rotors. You'll find that they warp rather quick! Engine leaks like a sieve, and I'm only at 12k miles. Needs new head, valve cover gasket and if the main seals leak, those too. Transmission requires you to sit 10-15 seconds at a stop to shift into reverse. Tranny is incredibly weak, it's built to withstand the engine. Anything added for performance is questionable to the tranny. Please note that this is a SAAB designed engine, and an OPEL designed car, its not truly a GM vehicle, and it's starting to show, a GM vehicle wouldn't be this terrible.

Favorite Features

The warranty, and that sums up my favorite features. I've used it so many times its ridiculous.

Suggested Improvements

New 4 cylinder engine, new transmission, quality tires are a must!

2.4 SS Excellent
By SSport

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would recommend this car to anyone. It's a little car with a big heart. Minor problems here and there, but to be expected in a brand new car! I love it and plan to love it for many years to come!

Favorite Features

Exterior design, trunk size, Pioneer sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger opening of the trunk

Fun to Drive
By Teacher

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

So far my Cobalt beats my expectations. Very fun to drive! Worth purchasing the "extras", leather, moonroof, etc. Only drawback is 21MPG in the city. Traded my Camry and am very happy so far!

Favorite Features

Moonroof, peppy engine, Pioneer stero system

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, although I only have city mileage thus far

Cobalt coupe LS 5speed 2006 is just OK
By john

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good handling car, with a great ride and somewhat quiet, good looks and good value, huge trunk but small opening. I am everaging 32 MPG and very happy with that. No arm rest on 5spd tranny models, cup holders are too shallow drink tends to tip over in turns, interior is very attractive but extremely cheaply made, the door fabric is pulling away from under the door closing pull cup, American cars depreciate faster than Japaneese cars by a large margin. I am "buried". If you want one buy a used one, it's a decent car

Favorite Features

Big trunk, good ride and handling. Good looks, peppy motor. 25/34 MPG cty/hwy, good value

Suggested Improvements

Make trunk opening bigger, improve interior quality. Armrest, real cupholder. Better quality = higher residual values