2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Unseen-Unknown problems
By mnguy2 on 12/15/11 05:58 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought an '06 Cobalt (LTZ) about a month ago and have quite the story to tell. I took the car for a two-day test drive and brought it to a trusted mechanic (everything checked out). A week later, the car stalls out on me in stop-and-go traffic, so I brought it to the dealer and they take about a week to try to figure the problem out, they are telling me they can't figure out whats wrong with it. I started driving it again and about a week later it stalled out on me twice in stop-and-go traffic...dealer has had the car for going on two weeks and still can't find the problem. FYI, I treat my cars well, I don't floor it everywhere I go...Chevy has lost my respect.

CHEVROLET COBALT 2006 IS A LEMON & needs to be recalled !!
By rednozepit83 on 11/17/11 14:05 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS since 2008. I bought it used with 22,000 miles on it. Since I have had the car it has been a disaster! I have spent a few thousand on repairs not including the repairs that were done under warranty. The 1st month the sunroof motor went bad. Then the wiring to my dome lights needed to be replaced. The OEM stereo needed to be replaced at 30,000. Thermostat went bad at 40,000 miles. Both 02 exhaust sensors at 50,000 miles. The Intake & the Exhaust camshaft actuators. Catalytic converter at 60,000. BOTH back window motors bad at 65,000 miles. ALL 4 Fuel injectors bad at 75,000 miles and im sure more to come.

My Doors will not Open
By luxiestar on 03/11/11 10:09 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my used Chevy Cobalt in December. The first time my door got stuck I thought it was my fault because the next day the doors open. Earlier this week my driver's side door got stuck again my dad went out and opened it with no problem. But again the next day the door was stuck again and my dad and I could not get it open. I was with some friends last night and both doors were stuck we both literally had to climb out of the window to get out. This is my the first car that I've ever bought. I've only had this car for a short time and I really need it to get back and forth from work. Gm really needs to do something about this problem because

Best Car I Ever Owned
By tom abernathy on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I recently hit 200,000 miles on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. The only thing I have had done to this vehicle is change the oil and tires. This is the best vehicle I have owned and I will continue to buy Chevrolet.

First car with no major flaws
By KHarris on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car now for almost a year and I LOVE it! It beats the Honda's I drove by far. I've had no major issues besides normal wear and tear. I am hoping that this keeps up as I am going to have this car for quite a while!

Very Nice Car!
By JD on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car today so I haven't had much time in it but after reading some of these reviews I will have to disagree. I think it's a great car! The radio sounds great, ample trunk room, quiet ride, great instrument panel, AC/heat works great, very comfortable, plenty of inside room (we had 4 big adults and a kid in a booster seat comfortably). Overall so far it seems like a very good car. Like I said though I've only had it a day but I'm really liking it. The gas mileage is a big seller as well! I have a feeling this has been a very good purchase!

Best car I have ever owned
By jtucker0142 on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car at least an hour back and forth to work every day and it has never once broke down. I change my oil every 4000 miles and keep a clean air filter. I just hit 90,000 and going strong. my key has never once got stuck in the ignition and gas does not come gushing out when its full. Really don't understand why there are so many bad reviews.

This car was a mistake
By Joel on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We needed a nice car and that is what we thought we were getting. I bought this car and there was a tapping noise in the front end. I made it known to the salesperson and they took it into the shop. The shop said that the strut arms and some other things need to be changed out. They change them out and charged an arm and a leg. The dealership paid half and I need to pay the other. After about a week, the same stuff is happening and this time it is shaking even more. I took it back to the dealerships shop and the Mechanic told me that the sound that we are hearing and the shaking that it is doing, is just road noise. Now when I try to stop, the car makes kind of like a "jack brake," noise.

Not an ideal long term car
By gessvt on 08/23/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at the end of 2006, dealer took about $6000 off sticker. Car has had numerous repairs under the factory extended warranty, including 3 sunroof replacements. Car also eats brake rotors. Recommend buying the best rotors out there if you want to get mileage out of them; have them bedded as well. Car is starting to show rust bubbles on hood, truly a shame since it gets washed and waxed on a regular basis. Painted interior materials flake away. Rattly steering column noises. Wheels corroded after about a year. No engine or transmission troubles yet. I hope to get a couple more years out of it, but by then it will be a disposable car with no trade-in value. Avoid.

Driver side door will not open
By UpsetCustomer on 08/22/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Went to lunch found my drivers side door would not open. 2x before lock issues. Supposedly fixed by Riverton. Apparently not. Two weeks after same issue. Took 8 months to get it fixed. They had my parts on the shelf and never called me back. Closed the repair order waiting for payment from the warranty company. Now the damn door will not open. Want to charge me $150 just to tell me what is wrong. I cut my panel, reached in, all of the mechanisms are working. Still cant get it open. This is a recall problem. Check the web and see how many others have the issue. I refuse to pay and I will continue my journey to find someone to fix my car at no charge. Never buy a GM again.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.