Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Great car for the Price
By Dan P.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for over a year and it's been a solid performer. I've only had one issue (warped rotors) and they were replaced under warranty. I get great gas mileage, especially on the highway. The car is a blast to drive and really gets up and goes. You'll have a hard time finding a car with as much torque and power as this one has for the price (and for being a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder).

Favorite Features

This car sold me on the styling and the motor. The car looks great in my opinion. But more importantly, this is a solid motor and drivetrain. It really performs. The motor is advanced for the market and when tweaked with aftermarket parts, really responds even more.

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint I could ever have is the interior. GM, Chevrolet especially, is known for lesser quality when it comes to interior. While this interior is better than the J-Body line that the Cobalt replaces, it could have been refined a little more.

Good car to purchase for college student
By Key-Key

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car handles and drives well and I love the way the speakers sound. I also love the fact that the radio will give you the name of the song playing. I also love the exterior appearance of the car. The best thing about this car is that it does not take up that much gas as I go from place to place. I purchased the car used and I have not had any problems out of it yet. I plan on having this car for year to come.

Favorite Features

I love the way the car looks on both the inside and the outside. I also love the way that the seats look in black. The car handles well and I love the sound system.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that I think that can improve is the fact that whenever I drive into a tunnel the lights turn on and when I go out of the tunnel and cut the lights off the car makes a beeping noise.

Wow, High Quality from GM
By 2006 Black Cobalt LS

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This inexpensive little car is a super bargain. At 29K the car has not had any reason to return to the dealer except for normal maintenace. I am shocked at the high quality of this car. The last time I had purchased a new GM car was 1980 and it was so bad I didn't think I would ever buy GM again. The car handles very nicely on the 15" aluminum wheels. The rear design is second to none. The only downfall is they won't install an armrest on the cars with sticks, so I bought one myself and installed it. The armrest is a huge improvement. The shifter is a bit too far back but that can be adjusted too. Now GM needs to keep up the good work and win back some of their lost business.

Favorite Features

The look from the back is really cool on such an inexpensive car. The gas mileage is always over 30 and gets as high as 37 MPG. Decent HP. The LS is a little screamer, I can just imagine how fun the SS or SC/SS must be.

Suggested Improvements

Move the shifter a bit forward and install the armrest. Everything else is a home run.

Orange SS
By JohnR

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car. I drive a lot of highway miles. Have about 10K on it already. I can get up to 33-34 mpg on the highway. I'm a big guy, 6'1" 245lbs and I fit just fine in it. That was my worry before I test drove it, but I checked it out and there's plenty of room for me. The only thing that I'd like to change is the seat material. I got the sport cloth and it seems kinda cheap, so I will get leather put in eventually with custom seats. My brother, who has a Lexus IS300, loves my car. He says it really flies, and handles really well. The SS suspension is really tight and stiff. The engine growls when you punch the gas, and the auto tranny is really smooth.

Favorite Features

Fast, smooth engine. Good horsepower for a 4cyl.

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius in the SS models is terrible. Hard to make a uturn sometimes. Other than that, there's nothing to improve upon IMO.

2006 Cobalt LT review
By GAM

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Cobalt since Sept. I do think the gas mileage could be better for it being an economy car. I also think the trunk opening is horrible, you have a hard time getting anything in or out. Once its in there the size of the trunk is decent though. I think the steering is odd. I feel like I am all over the road in it . I had a BMW before this so I am not sure if I am just used to that steering or not. I do like the body style look and the interior is fun, gets a lot of compliments. Stereo is good. The option package I have is great. It has everything the BMW had minus a moonroof. Overall it's an OK car. I wouldn't buy another one and recomending it to others I am not sure about.

Favorite Features

I like the options it has. Controls on the steering wheel and the on board computer and its options are great for the overall price.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk opening is a joke. That needs to be improved. You have the hardest time getting anything in or out.