2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
CHEVROLET COBALT 2006 IS A LEMON & needs to be recalled !!
By rednozepit83 on 11/17/11 14:05 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS since 2008. I bought it used with 22,000 miles on it. Since I have had the car it has been a disaster! I have spent a few thousand on repairs not including the repairs that were done under warranty. The 1st month the sunroof motor went bad. Then the wiring to my dome lights needed to be replaced. The OEM stereo needed to be replaced at 30,000. Thermostat went bad at 40,000 miles. Both 02 exhaust sensors at 50,000 miles. The Intake & the Exhaust camshaft actuators. Catalytic converter at 60,000. BOTH back window motors bad at 65,000 miles. ALL 4 Fuel injectors bad at 75,000 miles and im sure more to come.

Not an ideal long term car
By gessvt on 08/23/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at the end of 2006, dealer took about $6000 off sticker. Car has had numerous repairs under the factory extended warranty, including 3 sunroof replacements. Car also eats brake rotors. Recommend buying the best rotors out there if you want to get mileage out of them; have them bedded as well. Car is starting to show rust bubbles on hood, truly a shame since it gets washed and waxed on a regular basis. Painted interior materials flake away. Rattly steering column noises. Wheels corroded after about a year. No engine or transmission troubles yet. I hope to get a couple more years out of it, but by then it will be a disposable car with no trade-in value. Avoid.

Power Steering
By skl on 03/19/10 09:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new, have not had any problems until March 5, 2010 was leaving walmart my warning light came on and my power steering went out it eventually came back. On March 17, 2010 i had left the mall my warning light came on and my power steering went out again i turned my car off and back on it was ok again. i heard on the news there was a recall on the chev cobalt. i looked it up online and found the recall and called the chev number the guy told me there was not a recall it was under investigation to ignore it. Its hard to ignore when your going down the hwy and your p/s goes out. the guy told me to ignore. This could case a serious accident

Not bad for an entry level/commuter car!
By Shirl on 12/14/09 13:08 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has worked perfectly! Large roomy trunk with folding back seats. Fun to drive. quieter than the ford focus I test drove. We did have a problem with the A/C actuator switch which I still have yet to fix. Makes clicking noise for 2 minutes when car is started. We will fix when actually broken. Cheap part but labor intensive as the dash has to come out. Great on gas mileage. 36/28 in Colorado! My only real complaint would be that the body easily dents and scratches. This is an entry level car. Great for College bound kid or as a commuter car. I have had no major issues 3+ years! :)

100K and still going!
By Russ on 05/18/09 15:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Cobalt 4dr SS has 101,000 miles, and still going strong! What a surprise. I really wanted a Toyota, but bought this one for much less. Glad I did. I've spent less in repairs/maintenance than any car I've ever owned. I've owned 3 VW's, 3 Honda's, 5 GM vehicles, 2 Chryler products, and 3 Ford products. This has turned out to be the most reliable car I've owned (in the first 100K miles). Let's see what the next 100k does.

Fabulous Car
By zmurof on 04/16/08 08:02 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in Nov 2005 and have driven around 45k miles since then and cannot really complain. The ride is a bit stiff on bumpy roads but is a joy to drive in mountain roads. The engine has adequate power(2.4L) for all situations. Other than regular service I haven't had any reliability issues. No squeaks or rattles with regards to the interior. However, like other reviewers have mentioned the interior is still down on quality and there is definately room for improvement. Some of the plastics especially in areas of high contact(like the door handles/audio controls) are starting to wear out. The center armrest is awkwardly placed. I average around 30mpg on highway(auto)

Great Car
By OMAR on 01/13/07 14:43 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I work as a salesman at a Chevy dealer. I get to drive all the new cars. When I looked at this car, I was like "nice". I drove and and was impressed. So I ended up buying it. I drive about 70 miles a day so good gas mileage is important. Which this car is getting 25 MPG in country roads. I've owned it for a year now and am satisfied.

Chevy Junk
By dale3568 on 12/04/06 13:00 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car on July 3rd '06 and it has been in the shop most of the time since. It is the sorriest made car I have ever had. The first day I had it the door lock broke and the temp gauge went crazy. I have had the seat worked on several times. I will never buy another American made car they are junk.

Sedan SS, what a bargain
By ben on 11/02/06 03:53 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2.4SS is such a great bargain. I mean come on, a 4cyl sedan nearly breaking into the 6 second 0-60 mark and running down the 1/4 mile in low 15's for only $17 grand? You cant beat it, with the nicely laid out interior and great sound system, and the best handling in its class. I love it!

Awesome
By Paul Justice on 08/03/06 09:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to drive to and from work. It turns out that for only $20k you can get a car with this much zip and is so much fun to drive. Over 30mpg for a car that can beat most compacts off the line. Buy this car. It is so much fun and sporty looking too.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.