Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

CHEVROLET COBALT 2006 IS A LEMON & needs to be recalled !!
By rednozepit83

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS since 2008. I bought it used with 22,000 miles on it. Since I have had the car it has been a disaster! I have spent a few thousand on repairs not including the repairs that were done under warranty. The 1st month the sunroof motor went bad. Then the wiring to my dome lights needed to be replaced. The OEM stereo needed to be replaced at 30,000. Thermostat went bad at 40,000 miles. Both 02 exhaust sensors at 50,000 miles. The Intake & the Exhaust camshaft actuators. Catalytic converter at 60,000. BOTH back window motors bad at 65,000 miles. ALL 4 Fuel injectors bad at 75,000 miles and im sure more to come.

Favorite Features

The car came with a Pioneer sound system. I like the stereo buttons on the steering wheel. The rims are nice too. That's it. There are more things I dis-like than anything.

Suggested Improvements

Make a better car the first time. If you look up Chevy cobalt from 05-07 there are some major issues that Chevy has just turned a blind eye to. The interior of the car gets dirty so fast since it is a light gray. All of the interior hardware has a silver color coating that rubs off after a year or so. They needed to put a dome light in the back seat area and not just the one placed under the rear view. They needed to put a AV outlet in the car for a I-pod.

Not an ideal long term car
By gessvt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at the end of 2006, dealer took about $6000 off sticker. Car has had numerous repairs under the factory extended warranty, including 3 sunroof replacements. Car also eats brake rotors. Recommend buying the best rotors out there if you want to get mileage out of them; have them bedded as well. Car is starting to show rust bubbles on hood, truly a shame since it gets washed and waxed on a regular basis. Painted interior materials flake away. Rattly steering column noises. Wheels corroded after about a year. No engine or transmission troubles yet. I hope to get a couple more years out of it, but by then it will be a disposable car with no trade-in value. Avoid.

Favorite Features

Smooth 2.4 L engine, respectable power, great fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully now that GM has exited from bankruptcy, they will try not to "cost engineer" their entry level models as much. The Cruise should be a big improvement.

Power Steering
By skl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new, have not had any problems until March 5, 2010 was leaving walmart my warning light came on and my power steering went out it eventually came back. On March 17, 2010 i had left the mall my warning light came on and my power steering went out again i turned my car off and back on it was ok again. i heard on the news there was a recall on the chev cobalt. i looked it up online and found the recall and called the chev number the guy told me there was not a recall it was under investigation to ignore it. Its hard to ignore when your going down the hwy and your p/s goes out. the guy told me to ignore. This could case a serious accident

Not bad for an entry level/commuter car!
By Shirl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has worked perfectly! Large roomy trunk with folding back seats. Fun to drive. quieter than the ford focus I test drove. We did have a problem with the A/C actuator switch which I still have yet to fix. Makes clicking noise for 2 minutes when car is started. We will fix when actually broken. Cheap part but labor intensive as the dash has to come out. Great on gas mileage. 36/28 in Colorado! My only real complaint would be that the body easily dents and scratches. This is an entry level car. Great for College bound kid or as a commuter car. I have had no major issues 3+ years! :)

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, Low Fuel Economy Roomy enough for 4. Large trunk Cool stereo! OK in the snow. Nifty dash.

Suggested Improvements

A/C Actuator switch is cheap plastic. Dash has to come out to repair. Most people don't have $650 to fix. Body molding around door should be on all models. I bought aftermarket when the first parking lot ding happened. OH yea, a center arm rest would be nice for long drives!

100K and still going!
By Russ

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Cobalt 4dr SS has 101,000 miles, and still going strong! What a surprise. I really wanted a Toyota, but bought this one for much less. Glad I did. I've spent less in repairs/maintenance than any car I've ever owned. I've owned 3 VW's, 3 Honda's, 5 GM vehicles, 2 Chryler products, and 3 Ford products. This has turned out to be the most reliable car I've owned (in the first 100K miles). Let's see what the next 100k does.

Favorite Features

Handling, especially in the mountains All-season tires preferred over simple high speed rated if you drive in snow. Pioneer sound system. Ceiling height. I can sit straight up in this small car. Fuel economy 31 at very lowest, 41 at the highest (driving between 55 & 65 w/o speed changes).

Suggested Improvements

Improve interior materials. Improve plastic connector from fenders to tirewalls. Don't run under 87 octane fuel!!!! It doesn't like it. 88 or higher is best.