Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

2006 Cobalt LT, A Very Nice Car.
By isaiahtimothy

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is my first, so it's an excellent first car! I bought it off my grandma, so it had only 55,000 miles despite being seven years old. I really love this car, and I have little to complain about. The car overall is built really nicely, I love the looks of it, way better looking than the comparable Ford Focus, which is complete junk. The interior is very nicely designed, has nice finishes, although I don't very much like the cloth seats, although I don't like cloth in any car. The only other thing I have to complain about is a few rattles in the dash, and occasionally the sunroof. This car will be with me for many more miles, and i'll keep it as a commuter.

-Computer Information Center: Tells you anything you may need to know about the car and provides warnings for weather, etc. -Large Trunk! -Great quality for an economy car! -Auto Headlamps & auto everything. -Lots more!

-Fix rattles in dash. -Ignition had a recall. -No other complaints I can think of!

what happened?
By karamel20001

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well it's like this..purchased car in 2006 brand new. Had fair credit at the time so being a unknowledgable I went for the high int rate. Had some set backs, but any about the car. Excellent when I first purchased. Didn't start having major problems until 110,000 miles. Took it to the dealership and sears only to be serviced. I had a transmission flush at 75,000 miles, a fuel thing for the recall, a steering issue for the recall, belt replaced, 3 rotors changed. And a long list of other things done as time went own. Now have 174,500 miles and the engine didn't pass the compression check and now they say I need a new engine at the dealership and it cost 3,100 dollars. I still owe. :(

The heat work excellent.

I wish it had the life time of a Honda or Toyota. Especially if your financing with fair credit. It should work way beyond the life of a loan. I had a chevy cobalt 2006 2.2 sedan. They should definitely look into better quality of the cars nowadays instead of the money. This just make you want to go for quality imports instead. See it wasn't really a money issue when I purchase the car, I thought I was getting quality. Now I feel like a sucker all over again. I even kept up the service on everything. Had I known this would happen I wouldn't have spent so much in servicing the car. They had the nerve to say I didn't keep it serviced. WOW!!!!

my first car
By joco29

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt new and i now have 145,783 miles on it and it has never once let me down and stranded on the road. Not even so much as a dead battery, and yeah the battery i have in it is the one from the factory! The only work ive had done to it is ive had the electric power steering replaced from the recall as it just randomly stopped working while i was driving. But besides regular oil changes and maintence such as alignments and such ive never had one thing wrong and would reccomend it to anyone! And Ive worked at various car lots so Ive driven just about every car and id still reccomend this car over any other comperable car foreign or domestic. This has made me a chevy guy for life!

It could have better acceleration.

I'm calling out the reviewer who reviewed this car originally
By stig_wanna_be

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

So, on that bomb shell, lets begin. The car has been awesome, I have had it for a year and put on 20,000km. The car has gobbles up twisty mountain roads with ease and inspires confidence. I think the car edmunds acquired had the cheapest tires around or are trying to get you to buy a civic. Sure I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the plastics on the interior and the back seat but we are talking about an economy car, not a $100 million dollar machine. As per the dire lack of interior storage, this has adequate storage for the commute unless you have to store a body with you on your commute, but then again you would be using the massive trunk for that.

So now unto things this car does well. Well, it'll get you from A-B, if you keep your foot out of it, you'll be rewarded with awesome fuel economy for the vintage. I absolutely love how this car doesn't have ABS, TPMS, or "traction control" or the omnipitent parent control as it should be more accurately called. I love how parts for this car are generally availible (unless you become enraged and punch your manual window regulator, that's a dealer only part). I love how this so called "dull handling" car seems to keep pace with the darling that is the Ford Fiesta that everyone raves about how great of a handler that one is. All in all, a fantastic car.

So things I don't like so much, I miss being able to access the trunk from the seating area. I would love to see more cooling, and perhaps a method to sharpen up the throttle response, perhaps with a cable linkage to the throttle body. The accurate steering I feel could give a dash more feed back but she runs nicely as is. An all wheel drive option would have been nice but for this car I can get around fine when the going gets icey. But for those of you who have read this rant/review thank you for reading, but I have one more thing. Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds. She is worthy of them.

My Trusty Ladybug
By mewnu

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt two years ago from a used lot. It is blazing red and was in good condition with 50k miles, no problems except for the rear window which didn't go down (suddenly it works now). I have to say this has been such a PHENOMENAL car!! It is wonderful on gas. She handles smoothly and has slightly better than average acceleration for a little 4cyl. I have virtually not had a SINGLE problem with her since I've bought her. Just one, which was a "fluke" said the mechanic, but otherwise, she's been the best little car ever. I put customized LED headlights on and tinted windows, super cute :) Only reason I'm selling her is because I'm finally getting my coveted Camaro. I love Chevy!!

Gas, cute body style, reliability, easy to drive!

They stopped making the Cobalt. :( I just wish mine (a 2006) had an auxiliary output, but that was the last year they didn't have that.