2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Bad Experience
By twittybird on 03/31/14 12:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchase my Cobalt in 2006 brand new, I had problems every since, my power steering went out, and my ignition key would not release unless I stuck my finger in the whole the dealer made available for me to release my key from the ignition.

It's an okay car.
By dqirving on 07/02/12 16:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first car. It was a really beautiful gift! However, I got the car in early May and I live in Texas and my A/C never really worked (And my signal had issues). Roughly two weeks after getting the car the Power Steering went out on me. Then I get the car back and it's been okay. The air still does not work and I haven't had the car for two months yet. I'm already trading it in because the dealers sold me a car that had problems that they weren't willing to fix in the first place because it would cause the price to jack up and then it would be nearly impossible to sell. Overall, I loved driving that car and it got me to and from, but it was pretty small, being that it is a coupe.

Great Car
By blizbiggy on 04/24/12 19:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car early spring of 2011 with 101K miles on it. So far I have replaced the front brakes and rotors and the business I bought it off of put a bran new clutch in it. I have put 20K on it myself this past year. Reliability is great and mileage is great with a nice get-up-and-go. Currently in colder weather at 32.5MPG and got 35.5MPG during this past summer. The only issues with the car so far being the sunroof track broke and that the stereo display is dying (got a kenwood double-din to pop in it). The buttons for the display also are kinda cheap and you have to press it just right to make it change.

Great Car
By red_horse on 10/18/11 11:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt used in May 2011, it had 58k miles on it. Ive put around 13k miles on it since then. It is a great little car, very quick and it handles very well. The only issues I have had with the car were with the windscreen (the previous owner damaged it and i didn't catch it until it was to late) and a slow leak in one of my tires. But neither of those issues fall on Chevy's shoulders. I highly recommend this car to anyone who has their eyes set on a used small car, it has the potential to offer much more excitement than any import car can offer for the same price.

2006 Cobalt LT Coupe
By shift2n on 06/18/11 13:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Good small car. Excellent value. Sticker price was $17,000. I bought this car because the price of the imports was $3000-$5000 more for a comparable Honda Civic. Don't always believe what the magazines and web sites tell you about any cars!!! I test drove a Civic and it was a dog in performance and handling as compared to the Cobalt. The exterior styling on the Cobalt was so much better, I could not believe people were paying that much for a Civic. After 60,000 miles, the only problems have been: 1. Key sticking-warranty. 2. Power steering pump recall - warranty. 3. Front wheel bearing noise-out of warranty. This car is fun to drive - not like our Honda Crv which is a chore to drive.

You get what you pay for
By kelcic on 05/25/11 22:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Cobalt for 5 years now, and I have put about 70,000 miles on it. Around 45,000, the brakes began failing. Around 60,000, the transmission began failing. Just recently, it has begun violently shaking whenever I brake or accelerate. The car has served me well, and I haven't had to replace anything yet. Once the transmission fails, though, the car is totalled. I have manual locks and windows, so I have not had any problems with the doors locking me in or out. This is a good car for first-time drivers, but if you want a long-lasting car, I would avoid the Cobalt.

Not too sastified
By dstevens1204 on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i own a 2006 chevy cobalt lt coupe for 2 years now. pretty much, the main problem is that the cd player never want to work, the engine light keep coming off and on.

Decent car for the price
By abgtbikes on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car everyday I used to put about 150 miles on it a day but the facts, brakes got pretty crape fast I bought new ones and the just went through them so fast, front end makes a lot of road noise, struts rattle a lot just had new ones put it and they still rattle, when you brake the steering wheel shakes as well as the car sometimes (might be the brakes who knows) insides cheap plastic has decent stereo in it. Not the fastest car but does pick up pretty quick its a fun little toy car that will start up for you everyday and give you the gas mileage you want. I'm not disappointed with this car its pretty good and worth the price

I would never recommend this car
By woody on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is bad news. It looks sporty and is inexpensive, and that's what got me. I bought with 18,000 miles. Having issues with transmission, front struts are bad, parking break is too weak to hold on a hill, fuel economy calculator is not accurate. Stick shift makes it fun to drive sometimes, but does not have cruise control. Came with SS spoiler, so it looks sporty, but is a pile of junk. How can the struts and tranny have issues at 20,000 miles? This car is cheap for a reason. GM cut corners big time. I used to love them, but I don't know if I will be able to buy one again after this pile. As much as I hate to say it, look for a ford. Stay away from Chevy, especially the cobalt.

Don't Buy it!
By Courtney on 08/30/10 07:33 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Worst car ever. Like someone else said, it should have had a lot more recalls than it does. My car crapped out at 37,000 miles. First car problem I had was 2 months after I drove it off the lot. Your car shouldn't break down on the side of a highway when it only has 300 miles on it! I spent more time driving the rental cars because of the amount of time spent on repairs! I ended up letting it repo so I didn't have to deal with it any longer since the dealership wouldn't take it back.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.