Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

It's an economy car, but there are better options
By Joe J

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The biggest thing to know about this car is that it is a cheap, barebones machine. It is a basic, boring, machine that gets you from point A to point B. The interior is beyond basic. Everything is plastic, and going down the road you can hear the pieces smacking against each other. The instrument cluster shows speed, tachometer, and gas. That is all. It's almost impossible to know if there is anything wrong with this car. The engine (2.2L) seems to be reliable so far, but is too underpowered. It is almost impossible to force this car to downshift. Once it's in third gear, even if I press the pedal all the way to the floor, this car refuses to downshift. This has left me in some scary situations at times when I really need the car to accelerate and it refuses to.

This car will also rust like crazy. The hood is falling apart, and occasionally pieces of rust will fall from the hood and smack into the windshield. I would have expected a car to last a little longer than this. I applied some rust preventers where I could, so time will tell how much longer she'll last.

My biggest problem with this car is how small of an opening the trunk is. Even putting a backpack is a hassle. You just can't fit anything. The other large issue is the doors. They are weirdly large, and parking in a normal parking spot makes it almost impossible to get out of the vehicle because of just how big the car is.

I only bought this car because it was cheap, and it supposedly got great gas mileage. After owning it for a while, I really wish I would have gone with something else. I plan on trading it in for a Mazda 3 after this Michigan winter is over. Overall, I'd AVOID this vehicle unless you can deal with something so barebones.

Bad Experience
By twittybird

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchase my Cobalt in 2006 brand new, I had problems every since, my power steering went out, and my ignition key would not release unless I stuck my finger in the whole the dealer made available for me to release my key from the ignition.

I have no favorite features at all.

Only suggestion, i need GM to offer me a coupon to purchase another vehicle, i cannot sell this vehicle and get any money off of it. Since i own this vehicle, its been 2 recalls and people have lost their lives.

It's an okay car.
By dqirving

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first car. It was a really beautiful gift! However, I got the car in early May and I live in Texas and my A/C never really worked (And my signal had issues). Roughly two weeks after getting the car the Power Steering went out on me. Then I get the car back and it's been okay. The air still does not work and I haven't had the car for two months yet. I'm already trading it in because the dealers sold me a car that had problems that they weren't willing to fix in the first place because it would cause the price to jack up and then it would be nearly impossible to sell. Overall, I loved driving that car and it got me to and from, but it was pretty small, being that it is a coupe.

The comfort. Sound system was nice. Rides very smooth!

More fuel efficient. That tank had to be filled up a little too often for my liking. Fix the power steering problem. I have a friend whose dad died because of the he car stalling on him and he got smashed into. It wasn't a cobalt but it was a Chevy.

Great Car
By blizbiggy

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car early spring of 2011 with 101K miles on it.
So far I have replaced the front brakes and rotors and the business I bought it off of put a bran new clutch in it.
I have put 20K on it myself this past year.
Reliability is great and mileage is great with a nice get-up-and-go.
Currently in colder weather at 32.5MPG and got 35.5MPG during this past summer.

The only issues with the car so far being the sunroof track broke and that the stereo display is dying (got a kenwood double-din to pop in it).
The buttons for the display also are kinda cheap and you have to press it just right to make it change.

Nice get-up-and-go. Was a good sounding stereo while it lasted. Automatic windows Great fuel economy Plenty of room even for a small car

Better track mechanism for the sunroof. Make the darn thing out of metal for heavens sake so this crap doesn't shatter/break.

Great Car
By red_horse

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt used in May 2011, it had 58k miles on it. Ive put around 13k miles on it since then. It is a great little car, very quick and it
handles very well. The only issues I have had with the car were with the windscreen (the previous owner damaged it and i didn't catch it until it was to late) and a slow leak in one of my tires. But neither of those issues fall on Chevy's shoulders. I highly recommend this car to anyone who has their eyes set on a used small car, it has the potential to offer much more excitement than any import car can offer for the same price.

Long doors, elegant curves, good fuel economy, and lots of fun.

It would have been nice if they used 5 Lug wheels instead of 4 Lug wheels and if it had 4 wheel disk breaks.