Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Bad Experience
By twittybird

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchase my Cobalt in 2006 brand new, I had problems every since, my power steering went out, and my ignition key would not release unless I stuck my finger in the whole the dealer made available for me to release my key from the ignition.

I have no favorite features at all.

Only suggestion, i need GM to offer me a coupon to purchase another vehicle, i cannot sell this vehicle and get any money off of it. Since i own this vehicle, its been 2 recalls and people have lost their lives.

Great Car
By blizbiggy

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car early spring of 2011 with 101K miles on it. So far I have replaced the front brakes and rotors and the business I bought it off of put a bran new clutch in it. I have put 20K on it myself this past year. Reliability is great and mileage is great with a nice get-up-and-go. Currently in colder weather at 32.5MPG and got 35.5MPG during this past summer. The only issues with the car so far being the sunroof track broke and that the stereo display is dying (got a kenwood double-din to pop in it). The buttons for the display also are kinda cheap and you have to press it just right to make it change.

Nice get-up-and-go. Was a good sounding stereo while it lasted. Automatic windows Great fuel economy Plenty of room even for a small car

Better track mechanism for the sunroof. Make the darn thing out of metal for heavens sake so this crap doesn't shatter/break.

Great Car
By red_horse

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt used in May 2011, it had 58k miles on it. Ive put around 13k miles on it since then. It is a great little car, very quick and it handles very well. The only issues I have had with the car were with the windscreen (the previous owner damaged it and i didn't catch it until it was to late) and a slow leak in one of my tires. But neither of those issues fall on Chevy's shoulders. I highly recommend this car to anyone who has their eyes set on a used small car, it has the potential to offer much more excitement than any import car can offer for the same price.

Long doors, elegant curves, good fuel economy, and lots of fun.

It would have been nice if they used 5 Lug wheels instead of 4 Lug wheels and if it had 4 wheel disk breaks.

2006 Cobalt LT Coupe
By shift2n

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Good small car. Excellent value. Sticker price was $17,000. I bought this car because the price of the imports was $3000-$5000 more for a comparable Honda Civic. Don't always believe what the magazines and web sites tell you about any cars!!! I test drove a Civic and it was a dog in performance and handling as compared to the Cobalt. The exterior styling on the Cobalt was so much better, I could not believe people were paying that much for a Civic. After 60,000 miles, the only problems have been: 1. Key sticking-warranty. 2. Power steering pump recall - warranty. 3. Front wheel bearing noise-out of warranty. This car is fun to drive - not like our Honda Crv which is a chore to drive.

Performance. Gas Mileage. Appearance. Reliability. In that order. Again, don't always believe what you read in the magazines and web sites. Many are bought and paid for. Just like the Toyota coverup, sooner or later it all comes out.

Cheap painted plastic plates with window and door lock controls lose the paint to easily. They should have been anodized aluminum.

You get what you pay for
By kelcic

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Cobalt for 5 years now, and I have put about 70,000 miles on it. Around 45,000, the brakes began failing. Around 60,000, the transmission began failing. Just recently, it has begun violently shaking whenever I brake or accelerate. The car has served me well, and I haven't had to replace anything yet. Once the transmission fails, though, the car is totalled. I have manual locks and windows, so I have not had any problems with the doors locking me in or out. This is a good car for first-time drivers, but if you want a long-lasting car, I would avoid the Cobalt.