Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

what happened?
By karamel20001

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well it's like this..purchased car in 2006 brand new. Had fair credit at the time so being a unknowledgable I went for the high int rate. Had some set backs, but any about the car. Excellent when I first purchased. Didn't start having major problems until 110,000 miles. Took it to the dealership and sears only to be serviced. I had a transmission flush at 75,000 miles, a fuel thing for the recall, a steering issue for the recall, belt replaced, 3 rotors changed. And a long list of other things done as time went own. Now have 174,500 miles and the engine didn't pass the compression check and now they say I need a new engine at the dealership and it cost 3,100 dollars. I still owe. :(

Favorite Features

The heat work excellent.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had the life time of a Honda or Toyota. Especially if your financing with fair credit. It should work way beyond the life of a loan. I had a chevy cobalt 2006 2.2 sedan. They should definitely look into better quality of the cars nowadays instead of the money. This just make you want to go for quality imports instead. See it wasn't really a money issue when I purchase the car, I thought I was getting quality. Now I feel like a sucker all over again. I even kept up the service on everything. Had I known this would happen I wouldn't have spent so much in servicing the car. They had the nerve to say I didn't keep it serviced. WOW!!!!

my first car
By joco29

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt new and i now have 145,783 miles on it and it has never once let me down and stranded on the road. Not even so much as a dead battery, and yeah the battery i have in it is the one from the factory! The only work ive had done to it is ive had the electric power steering replaced from the recall as it just randomly stopped working while i was driving. But besides regular oil changes and maintence such as alignments and such ive never had one thing wrong and would reccomend it to anyone! And Ive worked at various car lots so Ive driven just about every car and id still reccomend this car over any other comperable car foreign or domestic. This has made me a chevy guy for life!

Suggested Improvements

It could have better acceleration.

LS 2.2L 5 speed manual 2006 cobalt
By bbwlover

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from an awesome man named Vince from car City on E. 14th street Des Moines, Iowa around April of 2012. I was originally looking for a ford focus with a 5 speed manual transmission but saw the color on this (pepsi blue) and caught my eye. Only had one problem with this car: air conditioner pulley lost some mounting screws and a belt popped off. Losing a screw is probably due to my moderate off roading at Jester Park and a belt popping off just happens sometimes but in this case was caused by the AC pulley shifting in position due to lack of mounting hardware. Just bad luck, really. I love it though. no features like power windows/ locks, mirrors, and is a 5 speed. I love it!

Favorite Features

5 speed manual is a little sporty, AC is amazing, no problems, simple, reliable, color, 33 MPG, cheap car, cheap tax, title, license, insurance, plates, and to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

None, unlike Honda...this car comes with no features if you pay less for it, I like how you have the OPTION to get the bells and whistles not being forced to if you want the car. I do not want all those features and I do not want to pay for all that, I just need a cheap car that is good on gas. I love American Cars!

My Doors will not Open
By luxiestar

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my used Chevy Cobalt in December. The first time my door got stuck I thought it was my fault because the next day the doors open. Earlier this week my driver's side door got stuck again my dad went out and opened it with no problem. But again the next day the door was stuck again and my dad and I could not get it open. I was with some friends last night and both doors were stuck we both literally had to climb out of the window to get out. This is my the first car that I've ever bought. I've only had this car for a short time and I really need it to get back and forth from work. Gm really needs to do something about this problem because

Suggested Improvements

Please General Motors please recall the doors on the Chevy Cobalt!

Best Car I Ever Owned
By tom abernathy

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I recently hit 200,000 miles on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. The only thing I have had done to this vehicle is change the oil and tires. This is the best vehicle I have owned and I will continue to buy Chevrolet.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

None