Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

It's an okay car.
By dqirving

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first car. It was a really beautiful gift! However, I got the car in early May and I live in Texas and my A/C never really worked (And my signal had issues). Roughly two weeks after getting the car the Power Steering went out on me. Then I get the car back and it's been okay. The air still does not work and I haven't had the car for two months yet. I'm already trading it in because the dealers sold me a car that had problems that they weren't willing to fix in the first place because it would cause the price to jack up and then it would be nearly impossible to sell. Overall, I loved driving that car and it got me to and from, but it was pretty small, being that it is a coupe.

Favorite Features

The comfort. Sound system was nice. Rides very smooth!

Suggested Improvements

More fuel efficient. That tank had to be filled up a little too often for my liking. Fix the power steering problem. I have a friend whose dad died because of the he car stalling on him and he got smashed into. It wasn't a cobalt but it was a Chevy.

I would never recommend this car
By woody

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is bad news. It looks sporty and is inexpensive, and that's what got me. I bought with 18,000 miles. Having issues with transmission, front struts are bad, parking break is too weak to hold on a hill, fuel economy calculator is not accurate. Stick shift makes it fun to drive sometimes, but does not have cruise control. Came with SS spoiler, so it looks sporty, but is a pile of junk. How can the struts and tranny have issues at 20,000 miles? This car is cheap for a reason. GM cut corners big time. I used to love them, but I don't know if I will be able to buy one again after this pile. As much as I hate to say it, look for a ford. Stay away from Chevy, especially the cobalt.

Favorite Features

Engine is very quiet at low RPM. Decent pep for small engine. Seats are pretty comfy.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality all around. Get rid of plastic under hood, it rattles all the time. Better manual tranny, not smooth and now issues with 1,2,3 and R at 20,000 miles. Improve fuel economy calculator accuracy. Stronger parking break. Better interior quality. I think I know why Chevy discontinued

Control Arm
By Annie

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The front end I going out. It needs a new control arm passenger window keeps moving slower and slower. So it needs a new control arm because the bushings went at 35,000 miles and the dealership refuses to fix it.

Cobalt Review
By Maurer.139

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Besides the brakes needing to be replaced I have never had a problem with this car. It looks nice and it drives well.

Favorite Features

The crank down windows and the basic stereo that was included. Plus, the spoiler makes the car look nicer.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof!

Cobalts are JUNK
By PA Cobalt Owner

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Was happy with the car for the first couple of weeks, but since it has been nothing but a headache. All sorts of problems including door locks trapping us in or out of car, serious vibrations when driving, cheap and fast-wearing interior, manual tranny problems, leaking sunroof, and headlight issues.

Favorite Features

Favorite features? absolutely nothing. worst car i have ever owned hands down.

Suggested Improvements

Improve everything..Dear GM, thanks for the horrible car. I sincerely hope you continue to lose billions a year and eventually go out of business.