2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
It's an okay car.
By dqirving on 07/02/12 16:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was my first car. It was a really beautiful gift! However, I got the car in early May and I live in Texas and my A/C never really worked (And my signal had issues). Roughly two weeks after getting the car the Power Steering went out on me. Then I get the car back and it's been okay. The air still does not work and I haven't had the car for two months yet. I'm already trading it in because the dealers sold me a car that had problems that they weren't willing to fix in the first place because it would cause the price to jack up and then it would be nearly impossible to sell. Overall, I loved driving that car and it got me to and from, but it was pretty small, being that it is a coupe.

I would never recommend this car
By woody on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is bad news. It looks sporty and is inexpensive, and that's what got me. I bought with 18,000 miles. Having issues with transmission, front struts are bad, parking break is too weak to hold on a hill, fuel economy calculator is not accurate. Stick shift makes it fun to drive sometimes, but does not have cruise control. Came with SS spoiler, so it looks sporty, but is a pile of junk. How can the struts and tranny have issues at 20,000 miles? This car is cheap for a reason. GM cut corners big time. I used to love them, but I don't know if I will be able to buy one again after this pile. As much as I hate to say it, look for a ford. Stay away from Chevy, especially the cobalt.

Control Arm
By Annie on 08/23/10 14:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The front end I going out. It needs a new control arm passenger window keeps moving slower and slower. So it needs a new control arm because the bushings went at 35,000 miles and the dealership refuses to fix it.

Cobalt Review
By Maurer.139 on 07/26/10 15:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Besides the brakes needing to be replaced I have never had a problem with this car. It looks nice and it drives well.

Cobalts are JUNK
By PA Cobalt Owner on 06/16/10 17:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Was happy with the car for the first couple of weeks, but since it has been nothing but a headache. All sorts of problems including door locks trapping us in or out of car, serious vibrations when driving, cheap and fast-wearing interior, manual tranny problems, leaking sunroof, and headlight issues.

Here's mine
By mike on 05/25/10 08:01 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an 06 LS coupe Dec 2005. With in 1½ year had 80,000 miles on it ( a lot of free way driving). MPG is 25 city, 36 highway. At 89K CEL light on - was an old hose. Replaced it (cost $20 for a 2 inch hose). Now, getting 30 MPG city and right over 40 highway. Interior could be better, at 115K, still on original rotors, shoes, pads, shocks, exhaust & clutch. Last dealer check shows no issues with any of them. Had 2 recalls on it so far. Paid $12K for it and was worth it!

cobalts arent so bad ,tc;s crash bad
By michael on 04/27/10 02:01 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i bought an 06 cobalt and tricked it out for my niece,i liked the car and wanted to keep it ,it getws knocks from really dumb journalists,,its so quiiet it needs a light to tell you its on ,hates poor roads,would like iraqi roads,bush and arnold are anti safe roads,any way it has lambogina paint and 18 in chromes,looks very expensive ,im inntoit 9850....

Great car overalll but could be better
By Rich on 04/20/10 07:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this to replace my old pickup, I think its a great car for the price. Went on a 1100 mile road trip, gas mileage ended up being 40.1 mpg on highway. I fit more than I know in the truck during my travel and performance only decreased on hills. I've had to replace the control arms and wheel bearings shortly after I got so I'm assuming the last driver drove it hard. Luckily under my warranty. The thing I'm not about is the interior quality. I replaced the stereo to allow iPod integration. The seats stain easily. I feel like I may break some pieces of plastic when I clean. Overall, I cant complain. I've put ~15,000 miles on it and its a fun car.

A diamond in the rough
By pawntec on 04/08/10 20:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had low expectations for this car because I only bought it for the mpg (which became much higher after adding in an aem cai and an 2.25" cat-back) it was much faster after a few upgrades. I was able to keep up with Civic si's (both 2dr & 4dr) & some times beat them if I can keep the tires from spinning from a dig. Got to love that torque which is lacking & higher stock cobalt ls vs. Stock Civic si. But had to upgrade clutch after first year :-d. Anyways it's a great tuner car just wish the market would embrace the mighty cobalt which gm already helped with there ecotec recipe book look it up trust me you'll want one to after reading through the stage upgrades 4 gm doing the R&D for you already

Just Not Sure
By sw44057 on 02/15/10 12:39 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because my Malibu broke down in front of a Chevy dealership and I was too pissed off to repair it again. Asked for a car with no frills (only planned to keep it a year or two) and got a cobalt. Rides well enough and no huge issues but recently things are going downhill. My car would not recognize that it was in park and had to fix it for $400. No I am being told that the control arms are shot and the mechanic said this is an issue on every cobalt he see's with more than 20k miles. I think I'm going to trade it in on a F-150 with my tax return

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.