2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2006 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

very fun car
By kylesssc

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

honestly i just got my 06 cobalt ss in march and so far no problems. its my first newer car and i fell in love with it the first day i picked it up. a very good car for people to learn stick on. i had no trouble at all. many people may not believe it but this car does have some power behind it, it is a fast little car. it is definitely a head turner. i had looked at many other cars before i came across this one and im very glad that i did end up with it. no regrets at all. very good car

Favorite Features

i love my interior, my ss is black with a leather red and black interior. my favorite feature would be the way chevrolet designed the body. i love how it comes stock with a slight body kit and the wing.

Very Fun Ride
By dawnnelson

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

My SSSC was my first ever new car and is still going strong to this day. I've put tons of mileage on it going back and forth from the Seattle area to the Phoenix area and have had absolutely no problems with it. Incredibly fun to drive everywhere. Even handled heavy snow on Cabbage in Oregeon without chains or studs, and without batting an eyelash. Young people are drawn to this car and other makes and models in this class. With my experience (ie; 10 to 20 years their senior, with 10 years of professional CDL driving experience under my belt), no one has bested me in my baby yet. Thought about buying a Mustang before I got this and glad I didn't.

Favorite Features

Awesome speed off the line, handles everything I throw at it, and turns heads.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could use a few improvements, and I can't understand why a loaded car doesn't even have the option of adding heated mirrors.

Mixed feelings...
By 823freckles

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I got my cobalt in 2009 with 17000 miles on it. I was constantly having problems with it-interior quality is awkward and shoddy, I failed an emissions test shortly after buying it, and some other problems I honestly can't remember, except they were costly. I also hated that it seemed to turn way too widely, at least for me-handling was awkward. I would have rated it lower, but as I just totaled it and walked away sans injuries, I'm giving it a slightly higher rating. But I think there are cars just as safe, but more enjoyable to drive out there.

First and never the last!
By jujujujosh7

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I traded my 2002 mustang gt convertible for my 2006 cobalt ss, and I will never ever go back to ford! Chevrolet, really did a great job on this car. I get around 29 MPG's, gas is a bit esxspensive but it saves you money in the long run, the clutch is just fine, shifts just fine, runs even better, the interior is really nice, I wish i had the heated seats! it does torque steer, and if you put a cold air intake on it! it whines and whistles very loudly! I am very very satisfied with it, and I occasionally drive this car very hard I am 20 so lol, and it drives perfect! so much technology!

Favorite Features

Exterior, the speed, the sound system! auto tint !

Suggested Improvements

not sure

Sweetest bang for the buck
By joker42369

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I've had this car for a few months now, and love it more everyday. First off, the supercharger whine is simply addicting. Five speed manual is awesome, red and black seats; this car just rocks. I wanted one since the first time i saw one. So far, while beating on it constantly, i've gotten no problems, and 21-22 mpg CITY. And boy is it fast. 350z fast. Not to mention, the sport tuned suspension was derived testing at nurburgring, so it handles really good, even on crappy roads. As long as you can get used to a twitchy first gear and mad wheel hop (which i did) this car is perfect for the price. And i can look at it all day, just a beautiful car.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, handling, supercharger whine, looks, interior

Suggested Improvements

bad wheel hop and jerky first gear, not much storage room in cabin

The Car that Keeps on Going
By reneg78

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

First of I have to say I LOVE THIS CAR. I now work in an office, but before I use to drive the heck out this car on avg 800 miles/week delivering permits for the film industry. I've taken it on a little off road adventure up in the mountains. I've been in one accident and only had cosmetic damage. I've never had any problems with the car. I think the only problem I've had was that the battery on the key ring to unlock the car and trunk had to be replaced twice. But the car no problems. I've fixed the cosmetics, and recently had to buy new wheels but only because I slammed into a pot hole. But its a great car. I would buy another one and recommend to buy.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the auto features on the radio, it raises if the window is down and driving on the freeway and lowers when i slow down or drive on the street. The Sound system is amazing in the car. 5.1 surround sound love the sub speaker in the trunk. All factory installed.

Buggy
By colopete

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

Bought the car new and have found it to be a fun car to drive, it handles pretty well although the torque steer under hard acceleration is pretty amazing. No issues with any of the major mechanical systems although it could use a better suspension as the car will hop pretty badly under hard acceleration off the line. Very irritating minor quality issues -- particularly with the interior and while it is not an expensive car, should not be happening in today's quality driven environment. GM missed the mark overall and we most likely will not buy another GM product for many number of years due to our continued irritation with this car. Won't say stay away, just buyer beware!

Favorite Features

Acceleration!

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality, suspension, correction of torque steer.

Last GM
By Nate

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

List of what has been replaced between 32k and 46k since I have owned this car. Fuel injectors, sunroof track (stuck open), oem tires with high wear, the clutch (with normal driving and already was replaced once by previous owner), E-brake twice and still doesn't hold on a hill. I have driven GM for 9 years and this is the last GM I will ever own. I am currently having the clutch replaced and it drives exactly the same as it did when i drove it off the lot and it was GM certified used vehicle it just makes noise in the cold.

It's A Piece
By SmlTwnGirl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I loved this car for the first 4 months, you couldn't get me out of it. Then I started to not like it so much. The car had 5000 miles on it when I bought it. After 4 months it was in the shop 3 times within 2 weeks for the same coil problem. I then took it back to get the A/C fixed, my cruise control fixed, my emergency break replaced, I needed to have a new programmer installed, and just recently got it back due to another coil problem. It will now be going back to the shop for an exhaust leak. The clear coat is also chipping off the front bumper. By far this is the worst car and I will never own another GM or Chevy vehicle again. Wouldn't recommend anyone to buy one!!!

Favorite Features

It was fast, loved the pep, the sound system was great, and always looked great.

Suggested Improvements

Build a cobalt that lasts longer and that you can actually drive instead of waiting for it to be fixed!!!

GM stole my money.
By mlemonchevy

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

My cobalt looks so nice. To bad, I usually can't drive it. A series of clutch problems has left me so disappointed with GM that after 15yrs of only owning GM cars, I vowed to never touch their products again. The warranty process was terrible. I paid for almost everything because they kept finding loop holes in the coverage. Their 800 number is even worse. I've talked to many Cobalt owners, and we've all repeatedly paid for new clutches over and over again in cars with less then 50,000 miles on them. Each clutch lasts just under 1year with normal driving, no racing. I really feel frustrated, and so I'm buying a subaru as soon as my loan on the cobalt is clear.

Favorite Features

Pretty color.

Suggested Improvements

GM should stop lying, about warranty's they don't honor. Fix the cobalt clutch issues!