Used 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

It's an economy car, but there are better options
By Joe J

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The biggest thing to know about this car is that it is a cheap, barebones machine. It is a basic, boring, machine that gets you from point A to point B. The interior is beyond basic. Everything is plastic, and going down the road you can hear the pieces smacking against each other. The instrument cluster shows speed, tachometer, and gas. That is all. It's almost impossible to know if there is anything wrong with this car. The engine (2.2L) seems to be reliable so far, but is too underpowered. It is almost impossible to force this car to downshift. Once it's in third gear, even if I press the pedal all the way to the floor, this car refuses to downshift. This has left me in some scary situations at times when I really need the car to accelerate and it refuses to. This car will also rust like crazy. The hood is falling apart, and occasionally pieces of rust will fall from the hood and smack into the windshield. I would have expected a car to last a little longer than this. I applied some rust preventers where I could, so time will tell how much longer she'll last. My biggest problem with this car is how small of an opening the trunk is. Even putting a backpack is a hassle. You just can't fit anything. The other large issue is the doors. They are weirdly large, and parking in a normal parking spot makes it almost impossible to get out of the vehicle because of just how big the car is. I only bought this car because it was cheap, and it supposedly got great gas mileage. After owning it for a while, I really wish I would have gone with something else. I plan on trading it in for a Mazda 3 after this Michigan winter is over. Overall, I'd AVOID this vehicle unless you can deal with something so barebones.

Bad Experience
By twittybird

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchase my Cobalt in 2006 brand new, I had problems every since, my power steering went out, and my ignition key would not release unless I stuck my finger in the whole the dealer made available for me to release my key from the ignition.

I have no favorite features at all.

Only suggestion, i need GM to offer me a coupon to purchase another vehicle, i cannot sell this vehicle and get any money off of it. Since i own this vehicle, its been 2 recalls and people have lost their lives.

2006 Cobalt LT, A Very Nice Car.
By isaiahtimothy

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is my first, so it's an excellent first car! I bought it off my grandma, so it had only 55,000 miles despite being seven years old. I really love this car, and I have little to complain about. The car overall is built really nicely, I love the looks of it, way better looking than the comparable Ford Focus, which is complete junk. The interior is very nicely designed, has nice finishes, although I don't very much like the cloth seats, although I don't like cloth in any car. The only other thing I have to complain about is a few rattles in the dash, and occasionally the sunroof. This car will be with me for many more miles, and i'll keep it as a commuter.

-Computer Information Center: Tells you anything you may need to know about the car and provides warnings for weather, etc. -Large Trunk! -Great quality for an economy car! -Auto Headlamps & auto everything. -Lots more!

-Fix rattles in dash. -Ignition had a recall. -No other complaints I can think of!

what happened?
By karamel20001

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well it's like this..purchased car in 2006 brand new. Had fair credit at the time so being a unknowledgable I went for the high int rate. Had some set backs, but any about the car. Excellent when I first purchased. Didn't start having major problems until 110,000 miles. Took it to the dealership and sears only to be serviced. I had a transmission flush at 75,000 miles, a fuel thing for the recall, a steering issue for the recall, belt replaced, 3 rotors changed. And a long list of other things done as time went own. Now have 174,500 miles and the engine didn't pass the compression check and now they say I need a new engine at the dealership and it cost 3,100 dollars. I still owe. :(

The heat work excellent.

I wish it had the life time of a Honda or Toyota. Especially if your financing with fair credit. It should work way beyond the life of a loan. I had a chevy cobalt 2006 2.2 sedan. They should definitely look into better quality of the cars nowadays instead of the money. This just make you want to go for quality imports instead. See it wasn't really a money issue when I purchase the car, I thought I was getting quality. Now I feel like a sucker all over again. I even kept up the service on everything. Had I known this would happen I wouldn't have spent so much in servicing the car. They had the nerve to say I didn't keep it serviced. WOW!!!!

very fun car
By kylesssc

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

honestly i just got my 06 cobalt ss in march and so far no problems. its my first newer car and i fell in love with it the first day i picked it up. a very good car for people to learn stick on. i had no trouble at all. many people may not believe it but this car does have some power behind it, it is a fast little car. it is definitely a head turner. i had looked at many other cars before i came across this one and im very glad that i did end up with it. no regrets at all. very good car

i love my interior, my ss is black with a leather red and black interior. my favorite feature would be the way chevrolet designed the body. i love how it comes stock with a slight body kit and the wing.

• SUV