2006 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Bad Experience
By twittybird on 03/31/14 12:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchase my Cobalt in 2006 brand new, I had problems every since, my power steering went out, and my ignition key would not release unless I stuck my finger in the whole the dealer made available for me to release my key from the ignition.

2006 Cobalt LT, A Very Nice Car.
By isaiahtimothy on 03/07/14 20:49 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is my first, so it's an excellent first car! I bought it off my grandma, so it had only 55,000 miles despite being seven years old. I really love this car, and I have little to complain about. The car overall is built really nicely, I love the looks of it, way better looking than the comparable Ford Focus, which is complete junk. The interior is very nicely designed, has nice finishes, although I don't very much like the cloth seats, although I don't like cloth in any car. The only other thing I have to complain about is a few rattles in the dash, and occasionally the sunroof. This car will be with me for many more miles, and i'll keep it as a commuter.

what happened?
By karamel20001 on 12/07/13 15:24 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well it's like this..purchased car in 2006 brand new. Had fair credit at the time so being a unknowledgable I went for the high int rate. Had some set backs, but any about the car. Excellent when I first purchased. Didn't start having major problems until 110,000 miles. Took it to the dealership and sears only to be serviced. I had a transmission flush at 75,000 miles, a fuel thing for the recall, a steering issue for the recall, belt replaced, 3 rotors changed. And a long list of other things done as time went own. Now have 174,500 miles and the engine didn't pass the compression check and now they say I need a new engine at the dealership and it cost 3,100 dollars. I still owe. :(

very fun car
By kylesssc on 10/06/13 18:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

honestly i just got my 06 cobalt ss in march and so far no problems. its my first newer car and i fell in love with it the first day i picked it up. a very good car for people to learn stick on. i had no trouble at all. many people may not believe it but this car does have some power behind it, it is a fast little car. it is definitely a head turner. i had looked at many other cars before i came across this one and im very glad that i did end up with it. no regrets at all. very good car

my first car
By joco29 on 07/14/13 16:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt new and i now have 145,783 miles on it and it has never once let me down and stranded on the road. Not even so much as a dead battery, and yeah the battery i have in it is the one from the factory! The only work ive had done to it is ive had the electric power steering replaced from the recall as it just randomly stopped working while i was driving. But besides regular oil changes and maintence such as alignments and such ive never had one thing wrong and would reccomend it to anyone! And Ive worked at various car lots so Ive driven just about every car and id still reccomend this car over any other comperable car foreign or domestic. This has made me a chevy guy for life!

I'm calling out the reviewer who reviewed this car originally
By stig_wanna_be on 07/13/13 00:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

So, on that bomb shell, lets begin. The car has been awesome, I have had it for a year and put on 20,000km. The car has gobbles up twisty mountain roads with ease and inspires confidence. I think the car edmunds acquired had the cheapest tires around or are trying to get you to buy a civic. Sure I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the plastics on the interior and the back seat but we are talking about an economy car, not a $100 million dollar machine. As per the dire lack of interior storage, this has adequate storage for the commute unless you have to store a body with you on your commute, but then again you would be using the massive trunk for that.

My Trusty Ladybug
By mewnu on 02/22/13 13:12 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt two years ago from a used lot. It is blazing red and was in good condition with 50k miles, no problems except for the rear window which didn't go down (suddenly it works now). I have to say this has been such a PHENOMENAL car!! It is wonderful on gas. She handles smoothly and has slightly better than average acceleration for a little 4cyl. I have virtually not had a SINGLE problem with her since I've bought her. Just one, which was a "fluke" said the mechanic, but otherwise, she's been the best little car ever. I put customized LED headlights on and tinted windows, super cute :) Only reason I'm selling her is because I'm finally getting my coveted Camaro. I love Chevy!!

LS 2.2L 5 speed manual 2006 cobalt
By bbwlover on 02/21/13 09:35 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from an awesome man named Vince from car City on E. 14th street Des Moines, Iowa around April of 2012. I was originally looking for a ford focus with a 5 speed manual transmission but saw the color on this (pepsi blue) and caught my eye. Only had one problem with this car: air conditioner pulley lost some mounting screws and a belt popped off. Losing a screw is probably due to my moderate off roading at Jester Park and a belt popping off just happens sometimes but in this case was caused by the AC pulley shifting in position due to lack of mounting hardware. Just bad luck, really. I love it though. no features like power windows/ locks, mirrors, and is a 5 speed. I love it!

Worst Car EVER!!!
By ihatecobalts on 01/30/13 13:05 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car new and has been nothing but a headache. New gear shifter (It locked down and wouldn't shut off or let me put in park), had the get the gas tank fixed twice, oil pan cracked, pulley snapped off, and at a whopping 89000 it blew up. This car is JUNK off the charts LEMON. Money pit no dealership even wants to mess with it. Its past the warranty but the 100000 power train warranty doesn't hold up. Never buy this car..EVER it will leave you stranded several times for hours with kids. NO ONE ever stops anymore. It also over heats for NO reason got it checked by the dealership.

06 Cobalt LT automatic
By jflowers1 on 08/26/12 12:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Very nice car but have had some problems along the way. We bought the car used with about 80k miles a little over a year ago. So far we have had to put an air conditioner compressor, steering stabalizers, and now fuel injectors in it. Little more than expected but still a good car. If your considering buying, try to find a good cheap mechanic bc these problems and more will arise most likely especially when you look at reviews for anyone that has had the car for a bit. There was a recall for the fuel injectors but the recall didn't cover our VIN number which is rediculous, it has all the same signs and symptoms listed, they just don't want to fix it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.