2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Review: Worst Car I've Ever Owned/Driv

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Review

Worst Car I've Ever Owned/Driven
By apex32 on

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased this from ailing grandma. I've driven and owned both American and foreign cars. Long and short of it, a '99 Ford Focus with 190Kmiles and a broken head gasket drives better than the cobalt with less than 16K miles on it. The car's braking is unresponsive and frighteningly unsafe on the interstate and city. The power steering is more of a suggestion than an actual option. Terrible understeer. Most days I can only attempt to "guide" it rather than steer it. It's a small cramped vehicle and I'm 5'5 150lbs, no features, uncomfortable, unsafe to drive, and no Anti-Lock Breaks? What is this? The 1980's? Seems like ABS should be a standard safety feature as of 2005.

This car has no features to favorite. Has uncomfortable seats, cramped head room, and I'm only 5'5, peddles too close together. It's easy to hit the break instead of gas, unsafe blind spots. The Cobalt's power steering was recalled. I had this fixed on grandma's car and it never drives a straight line. I'm always in a state of having to overcompensate for it. Breaking is the worst I've seen. My heavy 84' Cadillac Deville breaked similarly to this. This car, over 45mph, feels like it is hydraplaning. Worst gas mileage for the size of the car. My 99' Acura TL which requires premium costs less to operate. This car gets worse gas mileage than the new Ford F-150s.

I suggest that nothing like this vehicle ever be manufactured again. Ford was one of the only American car companies who not only didn't take a bail out but has also stepped up their engineering, suspension, fuel economy. If you want a better value for the money and you like American, Ford is the leader. I'm going to trade this lemon in and buy an Acura/Honda/Nissan/Infiniti. People like foreign cars for good reason. Pay a little more $ and you get a more reliable, safe, comfortable, and better driving car that will have good resale value. The best cars I've owned were Japanese or Ford.