2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
A Disappointment
By dsf on 10/09/05 13:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for six months and have put 5600 miles on it. I was quite pleased at first, but the quality of the car is now in decline: wind noise, rattles in dash and glove box, fuel gauge problem, occasional cruise control problems. I fear things will just get worse, and am now looking forward to the day I can trade the car in.

Stick with a foreign car
By therealcatman on 09/07/05 15:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Cobalt expecting to get a good economy car at a good price. I got a nice looking fun to drive car that eats gas and doesnt always work right. I have had numerous problems, all fixed, not enough for lemon status yet. The car is nice to look at and has nice features. But 19 MPG in the city and 29 on the highway says something is wrong. I could understand if it was being hotrodded around town but my wife drives it like a granny. Called GM's Customer Dis-service people and they blame the dealership, who in turn blame Chevy. My suggestion, stick with a foreign car with a good track record.

GREAT CAR
By Jan on 08/24/05 14:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Handles great, get almost 400 miles to a tank of gas! I love it! Comfortable, but would have like a little more room in the back seat. Although I have 2 teens and they don't complain. Trunk space is amazing!

Chevrolet Builds A Winner
By mn13237 on 08/24/05 01:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT sedan was driven RT from Dallas/FtWorth to New York City when it had less than 200 miles at the beginning of the trip. The car performed beautifully. The handling and steering feed back are excellent. I am over 6 feet and I found the car with proper seat adjustment to be very comfortable and supportive during my long distance drive. Driving between 60 and 65, the driver information system reported I got as much as 35.4MPG on the highway because I used moderation in starting and stoping the car.

Chevrolet Fun with Satellite Radio
By Nancy Harrington on 08/20/05 22:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It's full of pep. I like its (red) look. Subwoofer in trunk. I especially think it was clever of someone to design a foot rest near the driver door (to the left of brake pedal).

New car report
By Charles A. Werley on 08/17/05 14:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because I wanted to save on gas! I drive 70 to 100 miles per day and gas prices are out of control. The window sticker said I would receive 33 MPG-- What a pleasent surprize I received --- I am receiving 40 to 44 MPG on my new Cobalt. I now have 1500 miles on my car.

love my blue Cobalt
By erica on 08/17/05 03:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't know what a Cobalt was until i test drove one. It had the requirements that I wanted, small, blue, and it had a standard shift. It gets great gas mileage and has some added features that you tend to see on more expensive cars. The neatest thing I just recently noticed is that the car actually signals me to let me know when I need to shift to the next gear. I love it!

A Few Problems
By CZ006 on 08/15/05 15:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After having my Cobalt for a month, I noticed that the paint was peeling on the roof. I returned to the dealer and they indicated that it was some chemical problem with the paint. They had the spots painted for me. Upon getting it back there was a new spot so I had to return it again. I wasn't really happy with the spot painting because if it can happen on the roof what's to stop it from happening on the rest of the car. Also have a problem with the cloth coming up around the door handle which they did agree to fix as well. All in all, I've been to the dealership 8 times and I have only owned the car 2 1/2 months. I'm sad that my first experience with a new car had to be like this.

Comfortable Gas Sipper
By vc999 on 08/12/05 08:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 3000 mostly highway miles on this car in just over a month. I purchased side curtain airbags, the enhanced MP3 CD player, and Pioneer speakers as options to the automatic LS Sport package. The seats are comfortable for long distance driving, and the car does "feel" like a larger car. I'm getting 29 - 31 MPG according to the digital readout. The steering column tilt lever should be redesigned to be smaller as it can be a knee stabber in the unlocked position. I also miss having a power seat control option. Thumbs up to Chevy for producing a competitive, fun to drive domestic small car.

Lovin the Cobalt
By Debbie on 08/10/05 11:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car about 3 weeks and love it. I chose this car over the Focus. it has almost the same ride, but the Cobalt has move room and a sporty look to it. It looks like most cars which are way more expensive. My tires are sqeaking like crickets with every bump, due to a wheelcover design which I believe should have been figured out before it was placed on the market. i love the car, but call me sqeaky. Supposedly this is a technical issue w/ Chevy which could lead to a recall. Until then, I have to wait to get this problem resolved. If you own this car, turn off the radio, and roll the windows down, and take a listen, this could your problem too.