Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Electric Power Steering As Useless As GM
By sgtsquarepants

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first brand new car I've ever bought. It's now been back to the dealership at least 10 times for various reasons. Half of which Chevy wouldn't fix. Now the topping on the cake is I'm driving down the road and the power steering simply quits. After researching the problem, it appears that this is happening to a HUGE number of vehicles. This is EXACTLY why GM is dying and I say good riddance. I'll never buy a GM product again.

None

Recall the steering problem.

Cobalt supercharged
By ladybug1701

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I loved this car when I first got it 5 yrs. Ago. Now I hate it the sunroof is messing up. I have had to replace 2nd gear already and that was at 50,000 miles. Now the transmission is going out and that is at 52,284 miles. Also my abs light is coming on and a mechanic informed me that it was my body control module, and there are 17 bcm's on the car. The speakers have static. The glove box makes a noise. Also something in the door rattles. Plus to top it off it has a Saab transmission so you can no longer get parts without a huge hassle. It took me 3 weeks to get parts and that was before gm did away with Saab. Do not buy this car!

The power

Find a better way to improve the motor and tranny.

Never Buy This Car
By Meg

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2008. Been down hill since day 1. W/in the 1st week, the rear passenger window seal was bad, several fuses had to be replaced, the key got stuck in the ignition and the entire steering column was replaced bc it wouldn't lock into gear. Still does it. The glove box rattles, the instrument panel lights don't come on when the headlamps are on. The clock constantly resets itself to 12:00. The trunk now rattles. The plastic interior scratches way too easily. I know it's not a Lexus, but GM could have done a better job. Will never buy GM again. All I can say is you'll defiantly be using that warranty! Be careful!

The ride is nice. It looks good, when the paint doesn't chip off. Comfortable for long rides. Gas mileage is good- 50 mile commute each day. Average sound system.

Better quality parts, period. We're all having trouble these days & the last thing we need is to invest more money into something that was so poorly built. Make more things standard, like windows and locks. It's 2009!

Amazing first car for teenagers!
By Shay

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad purchased this car for me as my very first car. I was thrilled. We have had it for 4 years and honestly have had no problems! I have a 4cyl so although it's not fast, it has NEVER broken down on me. I cannot find a flaw in it. We have put over 100k miles on it and it still looks and drives as if it was brand new. I definitely recommend this car for anyone looking to make a very good investment. My boyfriend lives an hour away and I have been driving it there and back every weekend for 2 years. It has never given me any kind of problems!

Handling, gas mileage, reliability.

This car has no flaws.

Fun but Unreliable
By Elizabeth

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my cobalt when I first got it; it was fun and easy to drive. After the first year or so, a lot started going wrong, however. In the past 2 years I've had to have 2 door handle replacements, the sunroof has gone offtrack twice, & in the past 4 months alone I've had to fix a leak coming from within the hood of the car (they had to remove the passenger seats & headlights to figure out where it was coming from -- cost about $500 to fix), 2 tired replacements (wear very easily), had an alignment, and got a new battery because it went completely dead. Also the cruise control decides when it wants to work.

Great gas mileage!

If more time and money was spent on making this car it would be perfect, but it is just too unreliable.