Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

It's OK, if you have no other choice
By Leona

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car 4 years ago (in January) and when the lease is up, it's gone! Don't get me wrong, the car gets great mileage, and it's fun to just step on the gas and go! But it's a really light vehicle, and I get afraid of driving thru a puddle on the highway. I've had to bring it to get fixed twice, and it's had a recall. The gas gauge also never says that the tank is completely full, something that's evidently a recurring, "accepted", problem for Chevy cars..

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, good speakers, driver info center, looks, trunk space is generous for a small car, handles well

Suggested Improvements

Get a CD player that doesn't say "LOCK" half the time. The key gets stuck in the ignition a lot. Make the car a little heavier, the lining in the trunk has come out and hangs over the sides, the seats are uncomfortable, and the back seat is small for an adult to sit in

So happy
By kayla

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Cobalt for 2 reasons. It's mileage was 10x better then my Jeep, and secondly my boyfriend who happens to be 6'5 could actually drive it. It's great for long trips and does wonderful in Indiana's winter season.

Favorite Features

I love the heated leather seats and the spacious backseat for the carseats to fit in.

Suggested Improvements

Would have to say that the windows need to be slightly tinted if the car has leather seats, it will help the seats not to discolor.

This car has been fantastic!
By Brent

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife brand new and we currently have 37,000 miles on it. Other than having the key get stuck in the ignition (fixed under warranty) and replacing front brake pads, we haven't touched the car. It gets great gas mileage and looks good to boot. Could'nt ask for anything better.

Favorite Features

Interior, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Change out XM to Sirius.

Major Issue - Stay Away From The Cobalt
By Rob P.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Unfortunately, I recently found out that the Chevy Cobalt utilizes an electric power steering system as opposed to a hydraulic system found on all other cars. The electric steering system has a high failure rate and the average cost for repair is $2k. I am one of those unfortunate owners and will have to sell my car because of this issue. No recall notices by GM and I don't anticipate one. After avoiding American cars for 20 years, I made the mistake of re-entering the GM/Chevy market and I'm sorry I did so. Because of this, I plan on not ever purchasing another GM vehicle. Very sad.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise from windows; key becomes stuck in ignition; multiple radio failure; brake rotors and drums rusted in less that 1,000 miles.

My new car
By Kristine

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because I read a lot of positive reviews on it. Then the test drive came and I loved it. I used to drive a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Laredo but I was a victim in a car crash and it was taken away from me. So safety was my key concern and let me tell you, I feel safe in this car!

Favorite Features

The windshield wipers are great! The driver seat height is cool also, you pump your chair up or down. Also that fast that you can see all the gas, coolant and oil specs with a push of a button.

Suggested Improvements

The back seats are kind of thin, I would make them a little more meaty for comfort.