Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

It's a gamble
By Gene

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Based on the other reviews it's clear that if you get a sound Cobalt it's a good purchase. The car my wife and I bought was dangerous right off the bat. Aprox. 2 weeks after purchase while going 40-45 mph the car died. A wiring harness had to be replaced. Since then it's been back to the dealership for numerous repairs.

The car's peppy.

Don't turn such a poorly executed car loose on the public. For a few dollars more per unit you could have made a great little car.

It's OK, if you have no other choice
By Leona

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car 4 years ago (in January) and when the lease is up, it's gone! Don't get me wrong, the car gets great mileage, and it's fun to just step on the gas and go! But it's a really light vehicle, and I get afraid of driving thru a puddle on the highway. I've had to bring it to get fixed twice, and it's had a recall. The gas gauge also never says that the tank is completely full, something that's evidently a recurring, "accepted", problem for Chevy cars..

Gas mileage, good speakers, driver info center, looks, trunk space is generous for a small car, handles well

Get a CD player that doesn't say "LOCK" half the time. The key gets stuck in the ignition a lot. Make the car a little heavier, the lining in the trunk has come out and hangs over the sides, the seats are uncomfortable, and the back seat is small for an adult to sit in

So happy
By kayla

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Cobalt for 2 reasons. It's mileage was 10x better then my Jeep, and secondly my boyfriend who happens to be 6'5 could actually drive it. It's great for long trips and does wonderful in Indiana's winter season.

I love the heated leather seats and the spacious backseat for the carseats to fit in.

Would have to say that the windows need to be slightly tinted if the car has leather seats, it will help the seats not to discolor.

This car has been fantastic!
By Brent

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife brand new and we currently have 37,000 miles on it. Other than having the key get stuck in the ignition (fixed under warranty) and replacing front brake pads, we haven't touched the car. It gets great gas mileage and looks good to boot. Could'nt ask for anything better.

Interior, gas mileage

Change out XM to Sirius.

Major Issue - Stay Away From The Cobalt
By Rob P.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Unfortunately, I recently found out that the Chevy Cobalt utilizes an electric power steering system as opposed to a hydraulic system found on all other cars. The electric steering system has a high failure rate and the average cost for repair is $2k. I am one of those unfortunate owners and will have to sell my car because of this issue. No recall notices by GM and I don't anticipate one. After avoiding American cars for 20 years, I made the mistake of re-entering the GM/Chevy market and I'm sorry I did so. Because of this, I plan on not ever purchasing another GM vehicle. Very sad.

Wind noise from windows; key becomes stuck in ignition; multiple radio failure; brake rotors and drums rusted in less that 1,000 miles.