Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Dangerous car with huge blind spot
By Ryan

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The coupe gets great gas mileage and I should have got the sedan. This car is very dangerous to switch lanes as the rear window is extremely small and you can barely see out of it when checking your blind spot. You'll probably want to get one of those small round mirrors to put on the side mirror or cut off the roof (of course not possible, but sure would be safer) as I'm hesitant to drive freeways unless my girlfriend is with me to check the traffic in the right lane.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy really needs to fix their blind spot. Especially in such a small car, it's almost crucial to see your blind spots and if it wasn't for that, it would be an okay car.

Best bang for your buck
By Ryan

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was seaching for a car this summer after my 1997 Ford Escort gave out and I was looking at the Saturn ION coupe but I couldn't afford the price tag. My friend was the salesman at the dealership so he told me to go check out the Cobalts cause they are the same car minus the halfdoors. This car is phenominal for the price, I never thought that a NA 4banger could keep up with my friend's v6 Mustang but it does. The back trunk is huge granted you can get your stuff beyond the tiny opening.

Favorite Features

The power and the gas mileage are by far the best features of this car. Other good features are the auto headlights and the LCD display that tells you things about the car and even includes a temp gauge that tells you when the temp outside has reached leves at which ice could form!

Suggested Improvements

I think that making the cobalt a hatchback like the Scion TC would help trunk access and a rear wiper would be nice too.

What's Everyone Complaining About?
By JimCity Commuter

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I hear so many people talk this car down, but this is literally the best car I've owned so far. Fuel economy is great, and there's a never ending supply of get-up-and-go. I got the base model, which I suppose means fewer things to go wrong, but this car has only been in the shop for 8 hours (would have been less if the guys would have let me show them what was wrong when I first drove it in the shop). Had a bad coil pack. Not GM's fault their supplier gave em a junk part. Fixed it 9000 miles ago and still driving strong! I put 100 miles a day or more on this car and it loves every minute of it. I'll have this car for a very long time. You go GM!

Favorite Features

Hands down, the Driver Info Center

Suggested Improvements

Modify the DIC so that it will give you more information from the onboard computer. Let the driver customize which items show up when you press the 'i' button. Give an option to turn off the 'idiot light' for shifting. I know when to shift my car, thank you very much! Let me turn my dash lights on!

2005 Cobalt LS Coupe
By JC

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So far my Cobalt has been great. I have the LS Coupe (5spd) with sport package. I have not had any problems at all. Gas mileage is ok; I get about 30-31hgwy, 23-24 City. Performance is pretty good; more standard power then civic or corolla. Ride is comfortable; very quiet also takes rough roads well. If your a fan of driving stick, like me, you'll enjoy how this car shifts. Its smooth and not boxy like other cars. I'm very happy thus far, other just missing the emlpoyee discount.

Favorite Features

Definitely the radio. I have the 7 speaker pioneer system with 10 inch sub. Sounds Great! Also the driver info center looks good.

Suggested Improvements

One thing I don't like is the plastic in the interior. I have noticed that the plastic on my driver armrest is scratched up from the buttons on my jacket.

Stick with Ford!
By Jennifer

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

2 weeks after buying the car, it died. Had to have it towed in. Something under the shifter stuck and it stayed in reverse. I have had the car in 2 times for it pulling to the left. The crap car that I bought will be going back into the shop tomorrow. For it still pulling to the left, it doens't seem to have the power it did when I bought it (even though it is a 4CL), something is wrong with the rear end (it makes somekind of noise when I shut it off).

Favorite Features

It is actually a comfortable car.