2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
I love it!
By nutmega380 on 12/04/07 05:42 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I have driven it everywhere. It has made a trip from Mobile to Cali and from Cali to Cincinnati. I have put mass miles on this car in the two years I have owned it. I love the comfort, the power (for a 4C) and the stero is awesome! So glad I picked this car! My last new vehicle was an S- 10, and that ended up in the shop 4 times with repairs. So far this will be the first time I have had issues!

I love my Cobalt
By march on 11/15/07 13:40 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I normally drive much more expensive cars, trading in a supercharged Grand Prix GTP for this Cobalt 2.5 years ago, but I think this little car is great! Fantastic mileage, very comfortable on long drives, an automatic transmission that shifts perfectly, good power, good stereo, fun to drive, great visibility and versatile. I normally lease new cars every 3 years, but am planning to buy this one when the lease is up. I've had the key stuck in the ignition, but that's really the only problem and it's an easy inexpensive fix if you know how. The selling dealer's service department is very poor, but I've found another nearby that's far better

Did not live up to GM standards
By CGrammer on 10/02/07 06:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

This car is absolutely the funnest car I've driven yet. The major downfall to this vehicle is the amount of times you will be bringing it to the dealer to have it worked on. I have had everything replaced from front struts/control arms all the way to minor trim detail falling off. I've had my manifold sensors replaced because it was causing my car to RPM at 400. That's not even at idle RPM. When you are getting ready to leave for work and your car display reads "ENG PWR LOW," you get kinda ticked off. My car had to be turned off and on seven times before it would idle at 1100 RPM... enough to get it out of my driveway. I would never recommend anyone buying this model car. Maybe the '08 model.

Couldn't Be Happier
By Randy on 08/03/07 19:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I really love this car. I am a 55 year-old sports car nut (on a tight budget) and my Cobalt is amazing for what it cost. Always fun to drive, it makes every freeway on/off ramp a blast. I manage to get a smile on my face every time I drive it, even after owning it for 2 years. The stock power levels are great but adding the GM Stage 2 kit really transforms the car into something special. The car is amazing quiet, especially at freeway speeds. Overall it is a well sorted out, balanced car, thank you GM for making this thing! Final thought; I have not had one single problem with this car. Not one squeak or rattle, nothing broken, never back to the dealer. I couldn't be happier.

Love my SS
By lovemySS on 07/16/07 19:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

This car is a great all around buy! Gets good mileage, excellent performance for the money. Have only had minor wire harness problem, burnt thru the fuel injector wire, warnt covered. interior is nice, no rattles. I drive 88 miles round trip to work daily, and it's a curvy hilly drive, and I love it. Makes going to work a pleasure. Downside, cramped back seats for anybody other than a child. Rough ride on a rough street. Could use a 6 speed gearbox. Definitely recommend this car

Easy Ownership
By Halfcent on 07/15/07 20:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt is a super easy car to own. It's easy to insure, easy on gas, easy to maintain, easy to drive anywhere. You will notice what seems like a very big difference in looks between the base models and the upgraded cars. Leather interior on this car makes it seems like an entirely higher grade vehicle. Spring for the extras on this one, it make a big difference. Heated seats, OnStar, MP3 radio with Pioneer speakers, many others. And it is a much better car then it's Cavalier predecessor.

Great Car For The Price!
By Crystal on 07/13/07 08:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my Cobalt. I was lucky enough to have a friend who worked for Chevy. He worked everything out for me. My Cobalt is by no means a fast sports car or a luxury Lexus or anything, but it has been a wonderful car. I have had no problems in 2 years and anything I needed done got fixed promptly and w/o out any questions from Chevy. I do wish the gas mileage was a little better, but it rides great and is comfortable for trips. It's a great car for the low price

Poor man's Vette
By DARRELL lydick on 07/01/07 07:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

It is a fun and affordable car to own and drive, handles, performs, stops very well. It is comfortable to ride in and drive with 3 way adjustable drivers seat leather interior 7 speaker system. The handling, performance, style and cost of this car make this a poor man's Vette.

Think before you buy
By avhhis on 06/27/07 06:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for two years and have many problems with it. It is currently in the shop right now for the 8th time and it only has 39000 miles on it. It was in the shop twice for problems with the sunroof, which is not that big of a deal. But I have had two major problems. One, the brake lines and brake fluid lines were bad. It was in the shop three times for brake issues, and the third time I took it in I had no brake fluid left in the car because of a major leak. The second problem has been with the steering. Twice I have had problems where the power steering message comes up and I lose control of the steering. If I could go back I would buy a different car.

My Cobalt Coupe
By Dave on 06/17/07 18:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Chevy Cobalt LS coupe is an awesome car! I bought mine in late '05 and it came with everything except a sunroof and the supercharger but even the basic models of the Cobalt are fun cars to own. It has great acceleration for a 4cyl. and the Ecotec engine is very dependable. So far the most mileage I have gotten out of a tank of gas is 359 miles but the average is 280. It also has several after market parts for those who enjoy modifing. I highly recommend the upgraded 7 speaker Pioneer audio system, it packs an awesome punch. Overall this car is a great car and I highly recommend it.