2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Frustrated
By bthann on 07/26/06 18:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 11 months and it has been in the shop 13 times. It has had problems with the alignment, car pulls to the left, to the radio not working, needing to be replaced. Cruise control won't always engage, and the lock on the back passenger side broke.

My Cobalt
By shawn smith on 07/22/06 20:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Chevy Cobalt in Oct. 2005. It is a wonderful car. It has great gas mileage. I would recommend it to anyone.

Looks aren't everything
By Robert on 05/15/06 08:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved the look of the Cobalt and the practicallity of it. I bought it for my wife. At first she loved it. Good gas mileage, ran great. However all good things must come to an end. Shortly after purchase it started to fall apart. At first it was minor things and now pretty major. At least that's what I assumed when the dealers mechanics wanted to give me a rental but couldn't without GM's permission. This problem is still not solved and if and when I ever buy brand new again, it certainly will not be for looks or fuel economy. It will be by company and manufactures ratings, even if that means paying more for a good reliable car.

Not too shabby
By Franko on 05/09/06 15:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I purchased the Cobalt last August, within 2 weeks abs and t/c light came on. Took it in dealership 4 times to get it fixed. So far no light has been on. I got the satin interior and the "paint" is starting to chip and come off. This is not suppose to happen being a 9 month old car. Interior is somewhat cheap looking, but performance and gas mileage is great as long as you don't have a lead foot. Hardly any room for backseat passengers.

Lack of power steering
By be careful on 04/08/06 22:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

One evening driving home the power steering suddenly went out. It nearly caused an accident. We drove straight home and parked the car until Monday and had it towed to our dealer. Evidently once the car is shut off, the thing resets itself and starts working again, so there weren't any codes to work with. It was supposedly fixed by the dealer. Four days later, in a very sharp turn the power steering went out again. We ran off the road this time and barely got it under control. This time I drove to a gas station, filled up and the car ran all night until the dealership was open the next day. This time they got the proper codes and are fixing it right. I hope. I am trading it off asap.

Good car......some flaws!
By jamie widrig on 03/28/06 07:42 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I went from a ZR2 Blazer to a Cobalt. I miss the 4WD, but love the fuel economy. I drive approx. 3000mi. per month and have saved a lot in gas $$. But at 18000mi the trans. control module fried, I had to have a whole new sunroof put in within 2 weeks of purchase, the rearview mirror fell off, the e-brake light randomly comes on & i never use the e-brake, the cd player has a mond of its own. When braking hard on the highway, it makes a loud rubbing noise that nobody can figure out. But for the gas $$ I save these are just little things that are under warranty. Can't wait to see what goes wrong once the warranty runs out.

Compact Luxury
By CobaltDad on 03/24/06 11:36 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter drives this car to school - around 40 miles roundtrip. So far she is averaging 30-31 MPG with the trip to school on rural roads and just everyday driving in town-no freeway driving. We are pleasantly surprised considering all the bad press the Colbalt gets in many reviews for its "poor" gas mileage. We have 6942 problem free miles driven and have had only 1 (ridiculously expensive) oil change at the dealership. We are very pleased so far.

Cute
By Denise on 02/02/06 19:34 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My driving experience with the Chevy Cobalt is that it does drive smooth and it has some speed. The brakes are good. All it takes is a tap on the brakes. The heating system is good. I burn less heat and oil. The windows fog up easily.

Better than a Cavalier
By Chevy Always on 01/10/06 19:08 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good, this car is alot of fun. I have had only one problem so far as a high pressure switch went out on my air conditioning. It was gratefully worked on and fixed. There were a couple of recalls that I had to take of, but hey, for the price, no problem. I would recommend this car to anyone. I'm only mad that I didn't get the higher performance engine.

Love My Cobalt
By Dee on 01/10/06 14:18 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I live on Long Island where we have all 4 seasons. I have had no problem driving in rain or snow. I picked up the car in mid February 2005 and the following week we had quite a snow storm. The front wheel drive was great! No more getting stuck at work. I had an 85 Camaro which is rear-wheel and I always had trouble getting out of parking spaces at work--needed a push. And when I could, I would park with the nose out. With the Cobalt, it doesn't matter how I park. Of course it's easier to pull straight out, but so far I have no problem. My husband finally drove the car last week and he was quite surprised. Said the steering was solid--that's a compliment.