Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Good little car, Good mileage.
By kellyraew

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, great u-turns, and good mileage. 123,000 miles so far. For the most part, I have been happy with my Cobalt up until recently, and I don't know if I should blame the car or my teen who drives it a lot! The key gets stuck in the ignition, and if I pull back gently on the shift lever while in PARK, the ignition locks so the key will come out. The radio/cd player has locked up on it own a couple of times, but then unlocks itself. Check engine goes on and off occasionally, and ENGINE POWER REDUCED too. But I shut down the car, restart it 20 min later and the problem goes away. Might have faulty PCM, heard there is a bulletin out on that particular Cobalt problem.

Quick, cute car, fun to drive, good mileage.

Paint chipped off the radio buttons. Check engine light issues.

And people wonder why GM is in trouble
By John

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive, and gets great mileage. However, it is NOT reliable. I have had the rear seal replaced at 32K miles because of a sudden and massive oil leak. The interior components are of a quality that is below a Barbie toy corvette. I think it is the same plastic, minus the pink color. The latest thing is failure to start at 62k miles. No one has a clue what is wrong with it, because there are no engine codes stored in the computer! It is barely over the 60k limit, and I am now stuck with a 3200lb paper weight. Maybe GM should close up shop. This will be the last GM vehicle I own after many years of patronage.

Good performance (when it runs), tight turn radius, clean exterior lines

Get rid of all of the computer BS. Get back to basics on engine operations. Electronics don't fare well in high heat and vibration. So, why in the hell do they put this stuff under the hood in the presence of high heat and vibration. Would you sit a plasma TV, or a PS3 in there? I rest my case.

two ton paperweight
By Leah

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i previously had a 97 grand am and i think that ran better than the cobalt sometimes, considering it had over 180,000 miles on it. i just don't get how you all get like 45 miles a gallon geeez thats unreal well i only get 21.1 right now. it's around 25 in the summertime. well the only problems ive brought to a shop were the alignment and tire balance. the tires that come with it are no good and had constnat slow leaks. it also has a problem with the radio oncce in a while it works when it wants to. i dont like how it didnt come with floormats either. anyways ive got in 3 accidents since getting this car and it still runs decently.

the digital thing that tells me my mileage and stuff

interior appearance, smoother ride, better mileage?

Trustworthy
By John

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This has been one my better vehicles ever. Except for a factory replacement of the fuel level sending unit a few days after purchase, (it wasn't gauging correctly), I've had no problems. My wife uses it for a 50 mile daily commute and it keeps on going. It still runs like brand new and drives as straight as new, hasn't needed an alignment as of yet.

Acceleration is brisk and handling is more than sufficient for crowded freeway driving. Responsive brakes and smooth ride. Oil changes are a breeze. The fold-down back seats have been more than handy.

Occasional glitches in the automatic shift lever, you have to be careful with the lock button. The window noise at road speed is a bit annoying. The stock stereo is a bit anemic, I replaced the door speakers with aftermarket and that helped.

Chevy Cobalts. Good Gas Mileage. Reliable
By Mike

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I own a 2005 Chevy Cobalt LT 4 Door sedan, and I must say that this car has been extremely reliable. I average about 800 - 1000 miles a week driving on this car for work, and it has held up well. It currently has 166,000 miles on it and no major work needed. I don't care what people say about Chevy and GM, they do make wonderful cars. We also own a 2001 Malibu with 232,000 miles on it. An 2006 Equinox with only 19,000 miles on it and a new 2009 Cadillac CTS. All have required only minor work and maintenance done to them. If you keep up with the maintenance they will be reliable cars. We have twins that will be driving soon, and they will be getting the ever reliable Malibu and Cobalt

Fuel economy is excellent. I average around 30 - 34 MPG with mixed highway and city driving in Southern California.

Interior could be redesigned.