Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Amazing first car for teenagers!
By Shay

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad purchased this car for me as my very first car. I was thrilled. We have had it for 4 years and honestly have had no problems! I have a 4cyl so although it's not fast, it has NEVER broken down on me. I cannot find a flaw in it. We have put over 100k miles on it and it still looks and drives as if it was brand new. I definitely recommend this car for anyone looking to make a very good investment. My boyfriend lives an hour away and I have been driving it there and back every weekend for 2 years. It has never given me any kind of problems!

Handling, gas mileage, reliability.

This car has no flaws.

Fun but Unreliable
By Elizabeth

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my cobalt when I first got it; it was fun and easy to drive. After the first year or so, a lot started going wrong, however. In the past 2 years I've had to have 2 door handle replacements, the sunroof has gone offtrack twice, & in the past 4 months alone I've had to fix a leak coming from within the hood of the car (they had to remove the passenger seats & headlights to figure out where it was coming from -- cost about $500 to fix), 2 tired replacements (wear very easily), had an alignment, and got a new battery because it went completely dead. Also the cruise control decides when it wants to work.

Great gas mileage!

If more time and money was spent on making this car it would be perfect, but it is just too unreliable.

Good little car, Good mileage.
By kellyraew

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, great u-turns, and good mileage. 123,000 miles so far. For the most part, I have been happy with my Cobalt up until recently, and I don't know if I should blame the car or my teen who drives it a lot! The key gets stuck in the ignition, and if I pull back gently on the shift lever while in PARK, the ignition locks so the key will come out. The radio/cd player has locked up on it own a couple of times, but then unlocks itself. Check engine goes on and off occasionally, and ENGINE POWER REDUCED too. But I shut down the car, restart it 20 min later and the problem goes away. Might have faulty PCM, heard there is a bulletin out on that particular Cobalt problem.

Quick, cute car, fun to drive, good mileage.

Paint chipped off the radio buttons. Check engine light issues.

And people wonder why GM is in trouble
By John

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive, and gets great mileage. However, it is NOT reliable. I have had the rear seal replaced at 32K miles because of a sudden and massive oil leak. The interior components are of a quality that is below a Barbie toy corvette. I think it is the same plastic, minus the pink color. The latest thing is failure to start at 62k miles. No one has a clue what is wrong with it, because there are no engine codes stored in the computer! It is barely over the 60k limit, and I am now stuck with a 3200lb paper weight. Maybe GM should close up shop. This will be the last GM vehicle I own after many years of patronage.

Good performance (when it runs), tight turn radius, clean exterior lines

Get rid of all of the computer BS. Get back to basics on engine operations. Electronics don't fare well in high heat and vibration. So, why in the hell do they put this stuff under the hood in the presence of high heat and vibration. Would you sit a plasma TV, or a PS3 in there? I rest my case.

two ton paperweight
By Leah

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i previously had a 97 grand am and i think that ran better than the cobalt sometimes, considering it had over 180,000 miles on it. i just don't get how you all get like 45 miles a gallon geeez thats unreal well i only get 21.1 right now. it's around 25 in the summertime. well the only problems ive brought to a shop were the alignment and tire balance. the tires that come with it are no good and had constnat slow leaks. it also has a problem with the radio oncce in a while it works when it wants to. i dont like how it didnt come with floormats either. anyways ive got in 3 accidents since getting this car and it still runs decently.

the digital thing that tells me my mileage and stuff

interior appearance, smoother ride, better mileage?