Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Problematic
By 05 Chevy Cobalt

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The many problems I have had include the car cutting completely off while I was driving, cd player locks or says error, the embellem in the back looks like it is melting, the door handles on the inside have peeled off & is sharp, there is a knocking sound in the back (very scary esp being a woman), my mirrors show different views of the car behind me (the one that says closer than they appear is actually farther away), the back seat release in the trunk broke off, piece of the seatbelt that attaches to the car broke off, etc. there are many more but i'm running out of characters! All in all the car runs and I am thankful but many problems

The gas mileage and the overall look of the car

Everything that I have suggested should be improved

take care of it/takes care of me
By steve

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 4 door base model cobalt new 09/05. I bought a "cheap" model, so, my expectations were commensurate. 79,520 miles later I am quite pleased with my investment. Only problems to date, ignition coil went out at 23,000 miles, warranty replacement. Also, A/C evap drain was plugged with insulation on the firewall, allowing condensate water to drain inside the vehicle passenger side front. this I found myself, after dealer said no problems detected. Tire pressures checked min. of twice/week. rotate every 5,000 miles along with the oil changes, only have used synthetic 5/30. new air filter every 10k, replace HVAC filter spring/fall, plugs every 25,000 miles. fun to drive and own!

ecotec 2.2l engine, the battery in the trunk makes for ample room under hood for DIY repairs, oil filter design is less messy to change than most other vehicles, cockpit is comfortable.

None, for a $14,000 car, is very well equipped.

2005 Chevy Colbalt 2 door
By 2005 Chevy Colbolt

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my chevy for 4 years and have had numerous...repairs..a/c went up leaked all over my floor, front struts replaced twiced, sunroof button replaced to many times to count, door lock on driver side went up had to be replaced, knocking noise coming from rear end(scary) interior is JUNK! Paint on radio and door handles chipped, key wont come out after shifting/pressing brake or restarting car, rotors are terrible....now my steering feels like it is going up....chevy wont do anything to fix even the minor items.

recall all problems

Too Many Problems
By April

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new and soon after had AC/Heat problems. Dealer fixed those. Replaced tires not long after that. Car always pulls to the left. Interior is breaking and chipping. Had to have a shifting solenoid replaced. A/C started leaking into the car after the warranty was up. We were told it was over-charged and would correct itself (not true). Had to replace tires again. Shifter wouldn't go into park so unable to turn car off. Way too many problems for a new car.

Good gas mileage.

Pretty much everything needs improved upon. I think they should recall the cobalt for the AC problem that many are having and also the power steering that I've read about. Way sell a junky car and not stand behind it.

Love the car even thou I had many prob's
By CobaltSSgurl

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I was like others & waited patiently for the dealership to get one of these cars in. This was the car I wanted to own!! I loved everything about this car until it hit 13k miles, the engine light continued to come on & off until I traded it a couple of weeks ago with 97k miles. It was a sad day because I had finally got all the kinks out of the car, but I was worried about the supercharger going next. No telling how much that was going to set me back. I thought just because this was a 4 cylinder car that it would be cheap to maintain, but I was wrong. Premium gas only & oil changes are anywhere from $75 - $85 a pop, synthetic oil only. The boost gauge also went out around 20k miles.

Hot, sexy, fast car!!! When you need to pass someone, you can in 5th gear & only apply a little pressure to the gas. This car is a silent predator :)

I have no other improvements other than to find out why the engine light constantly stays on, why your brake light will flash as you are going down the road, the weird knocking that comes from the back side panel of the passenger side & take the silver plates on the doors & replace them with black.