2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Major Issue - Stay Away From The Cobalt
By Rob P. on 06/25/08 09:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Unfortunately, I recently found out that the Chevy Cobalt utilizes an electric power steering system as opposed to a hydraulic system found on all other cars. The electric steering system has a high failure rate and the average cost for repair is $2k. I am one of those unfortunate owners and will have to sell my car because of this issue. No recall notices by GM and I don't anticipate one. After avoiding American cars for 20 years, I made the mistake of re-entering the GM/Chevy market and I'm sorry I did so. Because of this, I plan on not ever purchasing another GM vehicle. Very sad.

Not without a warranty
By avery on 06/20/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

This car I ordered and waited 6 months for it, it didn't disappoint. The power the feel best bang for your buck. However it is built kind of like a home made rocket ship, amazing performance, questionable quality. Build quality should go negative for this car

My new car
By Kristine on 06/15/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because I read a lot of positive reviews on it. Then the test drive came and I loved it. I used to drive a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Laredo but I was a victim in a car crash and it was taken away from me. So safety was my key concern and let me tell you, I feel safe in this car!

Great little car
By cobalt on 06/14/08 07:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used <10000 miles, now have 54000, aside from tires and oil changes no repairs needed. Have had many people of other makes ride in it all compliment the ride. Great gas mileage, have gotten up to 37 highway on extended trips, mostly around 32 daily.

This car is so fun to drive
By SEXYmans19 on 06/03/08 14:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought this car I've had no real common problems. But a lot of people have giving me a lot of compliments on the car. The gas mileage is great. I had 36.5 mpg before I accidently reset it.

This car is so underrated
By Kim on 04/24/08 17:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I get 35-36 on the highway often more. I get 26-27 in the city/burbs. I think people need to get beyond the car the Cobalt replaces and enjoy this car. It is very cute and I get compliments from all ages. I know it isn't a luxury car but it is fun for non-hot rodders of all ages, that doesn't mean you are boring either. Put a fin on a car and it is a sports car

I got a lemon
By Rebelsbaby on 03/24/08 11:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt brand new with 12 miles on it. From day one it has been nothing but problems. It is in the shop 22 times in the first 30 days because the air conditioning was leaking in the floor board. I called GM and they refused to do anything about it. After that I had to have 4 gear shifts replaced and the linkage in my transmission replaced. It also had electrical issues but everytime I took iot in the dealer could not pull the code because the computer automatically reset itself when you turn off the car. I will never own another one

Great Car
By CandyM on 03/13/08 13:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Cobalt ("Colby") for almost three years and I've loved every minute of it. Though, like all cars, it has its minor flaws. About a month after getting it, the seal in the door in the back started leaking. A year later they had to replace the whole steering column. Then there was a recall on the cooling system. Now its vibrating. Other than those major things, I love my Cobalt. Sadly I may be getting another car since it's so low to the ground and it always rains in my city.

Great Buy
By Bob S on 03/06/08 20:19 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have been very happy with my 2005 Cobalt. The gas mileage exceeds the sticker average by a mile. At 55mph on a two hundred mile trip, we got 40.2 mpg. The car has been a pleasure to drive. City driving it gets 29mpg. It's quick and corners well.

Great, affordable car
By mrd232 on 12/18/07 12:40 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got a 2005 LS Cobalt as a lease while in college. After 34,645 miles, I have had no problems with the car. The only service the car has required are regular oil changes, seasonal maintenance, tire rotation, and yearly inspection. I have only had one issue - on occasion, CDs will stick in the player and it will return an error. They usually eject after pressing the button several times or turning the radio on and off. All in all a great car for the money. Excellent gas mileage, does well on road trips, has low road noise, and the computer gages are great for tracking gas mileage.