Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

2005 Chevy Colbalt 2 door
By 2005 Chevy Colbolt

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my chevy for 4 years and have had numerous...repairs..a/c went up leaked all over my floor, front struts replaced twiced, sunroof button replaced to many times to count, door lock on driver side went up had to be replaced, knocking noise coming from rear end(scary) interior is JUNK! Paint on radio and door handles chipped, key wont come out after shifting/pressing brake or restarting car, rotors are terrible....now my steering feels like it is going up....chevy wont do anything to fix even the minor items.

Suggested Improvements

recall all problems

Too Many Problems
By April

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new and soon after had AC/Heat problems. Dealer fixed those. Replaced tires not long after that. Car always pulls to the left. Interior is breaking and chipping. Had to have a shifting solenoid replaced. A/C started leaking into the car after the warranty was up. We were told it was over-charged and would correct itself (not true). Had to replace tires again. Shifter wouldn't go into park so unable to turn car off. Way too many problems for a new car.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much everything needs improved upon. I think they should recall the cobalt for the AC problem that many are having and also the power steering that I've read about. Way sell a junky car and not stand behind it.

Love the car even thou I had many prob's
By CobaltSSgurl

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I was like others & waited patiently for the dealership to get one of these cars in. This was the car I wanted to own!! I loved everything about this car until it hit 13k miles, the engine light continued to come on & off until I traded it a couple of weeks ago with 97k miles. It was a sad day because I had finally got all the kinks out of the car, but I was worried about the supercharger going next. No telling how much that was going to set me back. I thought just because this was a 4 cylinder car that it would be cheap to maintain, but I was wrong. Premium gas only & oil changes are anywhere from $75 - $85 a pop, synthetic oil only. The boost gauge also went out around 20k miles.

Favorite Features

Hot, sexy, fast car!!! When you need to pass someone, you can in 5th gear & only apply a little pressure to the gas. This car is a silent predator :)

Suggested Improvements

I have no other improvements other than to find out why the engine light constantly stays on, why your brake light will flash as you are going down the road, the weird knocking that comes from the back side panel of the passenger side & take the silver plates on the doors & replace them with black.

Turn Around
By Turn Away

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First year: Radio replaced twice due to shorts, door panels replaced twice due to peeling, instrument cluster replaced was shorting out, a/c blower replaced was making lots of noise. Power steering went out now 1200 repair. Any review you see that is good, theyre lucky. Stay away from this car like the plague, never will buy chevy again! Emailed GM with my issues and they have never contacted me. They have issues with their cars and don't care....safety concerns....WARNING STAY AWAY!!!

Favorite Features

Does accelerate quickly and handle well when the electric steering is working

Suggested Improvements

Poorly made car inside and out. Everything is cheep, handles which peel, emblem in rear, peeling, door fabric stains easily and peels. Should be sent back to drawing board!

Great car so far
By jo26

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great so far. I bought it over two years ago and it is currently at around 60000 miles. The car gets fairly good miles per gallon, but it goes down considerably when you drive above 65 miles/hour. The cost of the car is also very affordable. (kind of a long cons list, but they are all pretty minor things)

Favorite Features

The cost, for a small car it is fairly spacious, nice exterior look, so far no engine problems, never had a problem starting even in very cold weather (i.e. ND winters).

Suggested Improvements

The seats could be more comfortable, the factory windshield wipers are poor, some minor interior design flaws, would be nice if it came with power windows/locks, keyless entry and cruise standard.