2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Dont buy this car
By akztraylor on 02/22/07 18:05 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for less than 2 years and it has been in the shop 7 times now. I am very disapointed in this car. I thought this would be a better car to own, now I can't wait to get rid of it!

What a car!
By bizman on 02/19/07 12:13 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have an early production model 2005 LS 4 door with all the options except a sunroof. It has the sport package with an auto tranny. I have been getting 38 mpg hwy and avg 31.4 mpg city/hwy. I love this car! So far with almost 30,000 miles and 2 deer hits, I've had no complaints and no problems. Just regular oil changes.

Think twice
By lil mah on 11/02/06 02:16 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At first the car was cool, however the problems began within 2 months. It's too small. The interior plastic paint chips. Factory (Perelli) tires are awfull in the winter. Rear light panel shorted out completely after two times in the shop to replace all back lights. The front end pulls to the left. Had the right passenger side axle and cv joint and boot replaced and it still still pulls to the left. The rental cars are better than my car. The wind blows you across the freeway. There's no leg room for your passengers, you feel like clowns. Tends to guzzle gas for a small car. It needs bigger rear windows (too much of a blind side) The suspension stinks. A poorly made car.

'05 Pocket Rocket
By geebsz on 10/27/06 14:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a wonderful car for me. I'm a bit of a spirited driver, and this little car with the upgraded suspension and wheels makes it a trip to drive. I've added a Magnaflow catback exhaust and a K&N filter, but even before that the car was great. Going from a Tahoe to this was a treat in the gas mileage department too. With as many miles as I've put into it and as hard as I've driven it, it's done very well. Some things to watch for: The shifter may have to be replaced to fix the problem of getting the key out when putting it in park. The passenger rear quarter window seal leaks. The sunroof switch bezel fell off. All of these things are easy fixes for the local dealership.

Great for the money
By Greg A on 10/13/06 19:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Compared it to the Cavilier, Malibu, Focus, and Aveo. Drives as nice as the Malibu for the money of the Focus. I use to have a '99 Prizm, and (so far) the Cobalt is holding up as well. It handles decent, gets good mileage (25.5 mix HWY/CITY), and is a very quiet ride compared to others of this size/price. I can get A-Plan on the Ford products, but still chose the Chevy. This is not a redesigned Cavilier! Much nicer. No rattles and no squeaks after 36K miles!

Fun little car to drive
By Jimbo on 09/27/06 12:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Downsizing from a '97 Caravan was an adjustment, but so far, I have been happy with the car. Only hiccup so far has been a muffler that ran hot, but the dealer fixed, no problem. The car is fun to drive. I love the overall feel of the car. It is also very quiet inside. I find myself checking the tach to make sure the engine is still running.The gas mileage has been better than I expected. The interior layout is pretty good. The standard radio is very impressive for stock issue. The stock Continental tires are OK, but there are much better out there. Shop around.

Fun Car
By michelle81886 on 09/26/06 23:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had it for a year and I totally love it! I have a few friends that also have Cobalts, and they love their cars also. It's a fun car to drive, and I would tell anyone to buy one!

Junk
By Cathy McCort on 08/09/06 05:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Watch out! You get a warranty and they refuse to cover the warranty. This car has a suspension problem that they will not acknowledge. In 6 mo we had to put on new tires and 1 year later we are on our 2 nd set of tires. The passenger side doors have slipped they hit each other. If the back door is open you can't open the front door. They claim we are responsible for this problem because of the mileage. we have been fighting with the car dealership and GMAC. We do not recommend this vehicle to any one. We do let people know in public when they inquire about the vehicle not to get one. I thought it would be a great family and economy car.

OK for Now
By Lynley on 07/27/06 10:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like my car, don't get me wrong. It gets great gas mileage, it was affordable, and it's nice to look at. But I can't wait till I can afford more horsepower and luxury seating.

Frustrated
By bthann on 07/26/06 18:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 11 months and it has been in the shop 13 times. It has had problems with the alignment, car pulls to the left, to the radio not working, needing to be replaced. Cruise control won't always engage, and the lock on the back passenger side broke.