2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2005 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

I like it
By J Dancik

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like the styling and performance. The only flaw I have found are both front doors swing open too far. You have to be very careful where to park it or there will be some damage if you allow the doors to open all the way

Favorite Features

My 2 door is almost like a sports car. Good performance

Suggested Improvements

The doors should not swing open so far as to damage other vehicles. I will not park my Monte Carlo next to a Cobalt as I know how far the doors open, and I know it will cause damage to my car, especially by people who do not care

My LS coupe Cobalt
By S. J

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fourth Chevrolet, and I can say that is the best built Chevrolet I had so far. This is a small, fun to drive car. Since I have the coupe (sport package) I can only complain about the rear seats. They were made for small people only. I think that the quality that went inside this car is the best I have seen in an American car. I will say this, if you are thinking of buying a small car, you should have this Cobalt in your list, you will not be disappointed. Chevrolet is going in the right direction.

Favorite Features

Handling, quietness of ride, fuel economy, good response out of the engine, instrument panel is very nice. Well finished.

Suggested Improvements

Keep working on the quality control of every car that is coming out of the factory.

Can't get enough!
By Tasha

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Colbalt right before the GM employee discount came out. At first I was bummed that I paid a higher price, but after owning and driving it for almost 3 months, I couldn't care less! It gets up and goes, hugs those tight curves and is easy on gas. The roomy interior is one of the pluses, but if you need backseat room, you're out. Being a two door car, the doors don't seem to swing really wide like others do. I've had numerous comments on how it looks. I know the engine can go, my husband just got a ticket in it the other day, pushing 90 and he said it handled just as well as it does at 30. This car handles open, curvy, hilly and traffic clogged roads all equally well.

Favorite Features

XM radio is a plus, espically on long trips away from home. The digital readout of oil life, coolant temp and average gas mileage is a great idea and really handy. I just had my first oil change at 7,821 miles. The fact that the engine adjusts to your driving habits is nice. Roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality seals on the sunroof/moonroof. Mine rattles over minor bumps, even shut all the way. Better cupholders, but that's sweating the small stuff. Definitely better knobs on the radio, they're hair- triggered and change with the slightest touch!

2005 Cobolt
By Will Freese

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2005 Chevy Cobalt and love driving it. It handles very well around turns and has a deceptive suspension. What I mean by that is that you feel like you are doing 45 mph but really going 70mph. I am usually stuck in rush hour traffic and have the A/C on all the time, but I am getting over 30mpg which is great. The Cobalt has great seats that support your back and lumbar region, which is great if you have a bad back. My only complaint is the large coupe doors are hard to keep open, they want to close even before you are out of the car. Overall it has been a great car, with lots of features for the price.

Favorite Features

The Chevy Cobalt has a large trunk, that can carry a tremendous amount of gear or luggage. Driver & front passenger seat have great lumbar support for drivers with bad backs. Dashboard display shows several displays, from coolant temp, avg. speed, and outside temp. Has plenty of options.

Suggested Improvements

Coupe doors should stay open, they have a knack to want to close even while you are trying to get out. Try to make them lighter. Also trunk is large in size, but the trunk door is small, and you can't fit large objects through the space.

Cobalt is an awesome car!
By Jim

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Cobalt. I never thought that I would like a smaller car, but it has much more leg room and head room than I expected. It also has electric steering which is the best steering I have ever driven with. It handles very nice and is definetly much nicer than the outdated Cavalier.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on the steering wheel, electric steering, interior and exterior design, Driver Information Center (DIC)

My Cobalt
By lisa

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this little Honey a few months ago. It's perfect for me, but I would have liked power windows. I didn't know they made power doors and not power windows both on a car. I thought it was standard. Go figure. Its drive is perfect. The driver seat adjusts for a shorter person like me and I love it. Chevy has been really considerate for the shorter people. In my last car, I needed a pillow to see over the steering wheel, even with tilt steering. This is also my first Chevy, but won't be my last.

Favorite Features

Driver seat goes up and down. I love it!

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders.

Super Quiet Ride
By Chesterwlth

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The coupe is a super quiet and smooth ride with suprising power for the 2.2L engine. Very good on gas.

Favorite Features

Quietness and smoothness of ride. Also, nice trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Re-design the radio knobs.

Big problems
By dakoda

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My cobalt was purchased in March '05 for $18,500. The car has been in the shop 3 times now because it will not start. I've had to have it towed. They have replaced 2 computers so far, but they really have no clue what's wrong. This car is a lemon. Do not buy one until the next model year. By then, Chevy will fix the problem, or be chapter 11.

Favorite Features

Great looks. Promise of better build quality

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to test their products before they try to sell them.

My baby Kolby!
By Karl

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new car! I was blessed to aquire a 2005 Cobalt w/ the Sport Package and I love it! The car doesn't have any flaws, it's fun to drive (sporty and fast for us teenagers), and it doesnt hurt the wallet! I wish I had a 1 touch sunroof but to make up for that the sunroof has a huge view! I also wish i had more headroom, but again open the sunroof and Ive got all the headroom I need :) I love the daytime running parking lamps, spoiler,sunroof, fog lights, steering wheel controls, CD player, and Pioneer sound system w/ the subwoofer! All I have to say is wow! This is a great 1st car for anyone, and especially for the younger generation! Chevry did a great job replacing the Cavalier!

Favorite Features

The whole sport package---Pioneer sound system w/ subwoofer, sunroof, fog lights, steering wheel controls, power everything, CD, keyless entry, freezing a/c, extremely comfortable seating for 4, but can easily fit a fifth. A lot of space for anything you need to carry! You get your bang for your buck

Suggested Improvements

More head room, one touch sunroof as well as passenger window. 1 touch up, snag proof windows (I almost took off a friend's finger, oops!) 4 wheel disc brakes instead of drums in back (feels kinda loose when your stopping hard) Don't get confused though, the car is truly flawless! You will be satisfied

Great car
By Melissa

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

You will not find a better car for the money that actually looks good. This is my first American made car. Before I bought the Cobalt, I shopped around for 3 months and decided this was the one for me strictly on specs. Then GM announced the employee discount for everyone it was a no brainer. I find it very good on gas. It's a perfect "city car" should you need to park it in the street and has decent horsepower. I also had Lo-Jack installed, because I live in NYC, and GM added the cost of the installation to my financing for a lower rate. The Chevy sales people really work with you and not pushy at all. My overall experience with GM was great. I love my car!

Favorite Features

Trunk space & sporty exterior design

Suggested Improvements

Wouldn't change a thing, it's perfect!