2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Cobalt supercharged
By ladybug1701 on 06/26/09 14:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I loved this car when I first got it 5 yrs. Ago. Now I hate it the sunroof is messing up. I have had to replace 2nd gear already and that was at 50,000 miles. Now the transmission is going out and that is at 52,284 miles. Also my abs light is coming on and a mechanic informed me that it was my body control module, and there are 17 bcm's on the car. The speakers have static. The glove box makes a noise. Also something in the door rattles. Plus to top it off it has a Saab transmission so you can no longer get parts without a huge hassle. It took me 3 weeks to get parts and that was before gm did away with Saab. Do not buy this car!

Never Buy This Car
By Meg on 06/14/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2008. Been down hill since day 1. W/in the 1st week, the rear passenger window seal was bad, several fuses had to be replaced, the key got stuck in the ignition and the entire steering column was replaced bc it wouldn't lock into gear. Still does it. The glove box rattles, the instrument panel lights don't come on when the headlamps are on. The clock constantly resets itself to 12:00. The trunk now rattles. The plastic interior scratches way too easily. I know it's not a Lexus, but GM could have done a better job. Will never buy GM again. All I can say is you'll defiantly be using that warranty! Be careful!

Amazing first car for teenagers!
By Shay on 04/29/09 15:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad purchased this car for me as my very first car. I was thrilled. We have had it for 4 years and honestly have had no problems! I have a 4cyl so although it's not fast, it has NEVER broken down on me. I cannot find a flaw in it. We have put over 100k miles on it and it still looks and drives as if it was brand new. I definitely recommend this car for anyone looking to make a very good investment. My boyfriend lives an hour away and I have been driving it there and back every weekend for 2 years. It has never given me any kind of problems!

Fun but Unreliable
By Elizabeth on 04/01/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my cobalt when I first got it; it was fun and easy to drive. After the first year or so, a lot started going wrong, however. In the past 2 years I've had to have 2 door handle replacements, the sunroof has gone offtrack twice, & in the past 4 months alone I've had to fix a leak coming from within the hood of the car (they had to remove the passenger seats & headlights to figure out where it was coming from -- cost about $500 to fix), 2 tired replacements (wear very easily), had an alignment, and got a new battery because it went completely dead. Also the cruise control decides when it wants to work.

Good little car, Good mileage.
By kellyraew on 03/16/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, great u-turns, and good mileage. 123,000 miles so far. For the most part, I have been happy with my Cobalt up until recently, and I don't know if I should blame the car or my teen who drives it a lot! The key gets stuck in the ignition, and if I pull back gently on the shift lever while in PARK, the ignition locks so the key will come out. The radio/cd player has locked up on it own a couple of times, but then unlocks itself. Check engine goes on and off occasionally, and ENGINE POWER REDUCED too. But I shut down the car, restart it 20 min later and the problem goes away. Might have faulty PCM, heard there is a bulletin out on that particular Cobalt problem.

And people wonder why GM is in trouble
By John on 03/10/09 22:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive, and gets great mileage. However, it is NOT reliable. I have had the rear seal replaced at 32K miles because of a sudden and massive oil leak. The interior components are of a quality that is below a Barbie toy corvette. I think it is the same plastic, minus the pink color. The latest thing is failure to start at 62k miles. No one has a clue what is wrong with it, because there are no engine codes stored in the computer! It is barely over the 60k limit, and I am now stuck with a 3200lb paper weight. Maybe GM should close up shop. This will be the last GM vehicle I own after many years of patronage.

You better have that warranty
By Cody on 02/27/09 16:22 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

steering gear went out, windows vision warped, rotors warped, car interior RATTLES, glove box rattles, exhaust heat shield makes vibrating sounds, steering clunks over dips. Look people this is common for cobalts. I'll be honest, don't buy this car. Great power, and handling but things will break. It's not a maybe. This car isn't a lemon either... this is very common issues. Without the warranty your looking at a big issue. This is a cheaply made car. GM is failing and I don't care because this is what they sell. Go buy a Nissan, don't waste your money for god sake don't make the mistake I did.

Good car
By Kelly84 on 02/22/09 19:03 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I leased my Cobalt in 2005 and enjoyed having the car. I loved the gas mileage and turning radius that it had. I didn't like that the paint chipped within 2 weeks around the stereo. The door pull handle in the car broke off and I was cut badly many times.

two ton paperweight
By Leah on 02/07/09 11:17 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i previously had a 97 grand am and i think that ran better than the cobalt sometimes, considering it had over 180,000 miles on it. i just don't get how you all get like 45 miles a gallon geeez thats unreal well i only get 21.1 right now. it's around 25 in the summertime. well the only problems ive brought to a shop were the alignment and tire balance. the tires that come with it are no good and had constnat slow leaks. it also has a problem with the radio oncce in a while it works when it wants to. i dont like how it didnt come with floormats either. anyways ive got in 3 accidents since getting this car and it still runs decently.

Great car
By brnwrng on 02/02/09 07:55 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced my 05 Cavalier for an 05 Cobalt after the Cavalier was wrecked in a car accident. The Cobalt is everything the Cavalier was and more. It has great fuel mileage and has more power. The interior is a great upgrade from the Cavalier.