Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 248 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Great Car for a Great Price
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car last month and I'm pleased so far. The car is very fun to drive and it's a great value. Styling is spot-on. My list of gripes is short. Any 2005 model car should come with standard power locks and windows and a headphone jack. No standard OnStar or center armrest. The storage bin is too small. However, most of these complaints are superficial. Overall, this is a great car that I would recommend to anyone looking for an American compact between $5,000 and $10,000. Just try to stay away from a base model car.

Styling, quality, and value. A lot of chrome accents around the gauges, shift knob, and door handles. A lot of hard plastic that actually feels of high quality. Many two-tone accents around the cabin. Everything is screwed together well. Overall it looks and feels like a premium sedan, not a cheap compact.

More standard features on the base models. A less buzzy sounding fan.

Bulletproof
By breannarae

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have to agree with Jason2012, I think the real problem you all are experiencing is operator error. My 05 Cobalt Coupe rides, handles, preforms and is more reliable than a lot of new cars my friends own. I have an extremely bad back and long trips in the car never irritate it, I find the seats very comfy. The suspension is unreal, it has nearly 150,000km on it and still runs like new. Never had any problems with it, but I always maintain it. I worked at a GM Dealer for quite a while and these cars don't often have problems. They have a bulletproof drivetrain. You could have this car for 300 000 km + if you maintain it. I just wish I had and upgraded model with more options than base.

The 5 speed manual is peppy and makes this a very fun car to drive. Love the exterior and interior styling. Very comfortable to drive, excellent fuel economy. I thought the back seats would be uncomfortable or very small, and they appear quite small, but don't find them too crammed or uncomfortable. Love the tons of truck space too.

Love this car, I just wish I had an upgraded model so I have more options rather than basic manual windows etc. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the cupholders placed directly below the heater controls on the dash. It is hard to get to the controls if you have a drink in the way.

Proud owner of 2005 Rally Yellow SS/SC Cobalt
By jason2012

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I dont know what the hell you people are talking about, i guess u dont know how to take care of a car. MY COBALT was bought in july 2005, only issue i ever had with it was my 2 gear, gearbox, BECAUSE i was petal to the metal, of course it was under warranty at the time and was fix beautiful. another thing, nothing big was the molding around the sunroof button, came off when racing a crxgsr turbo LOL, was fix and never came off. Thats About it RIGHT NOW i got 140k miles on it and it runs PerfecT! I sugguest u people learn how to warm up ur car and maintain it well. sounds to me u are a bunch of retards. BTW this is GM expect Speed not Need lmao. GREAT car its Paid Off And WIll be kept!!

LOVE the power it came with, When i first came out in the road everyone wanna a piece of the Cobalt. You will get Many looks, especially if u can hook up the car like i did. THe insdie two tune leather is AWESUME, my is rally yellow so inside i had Blk N Yellow hah. The spoiler is awesume as well, comes with a boost gauge, nice body style

Spoiler view not as great, its GM, they need to improve in the interior dept but they did a good job in this car.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned/Driven
By apex32

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased this from ailing grandma. I've driven and owned both American and foreign cars. Long and short of it, a '99 Ford Focus with 190Kmiles and a broken head gasket drives better than the cobalt with less than 16K miles on it. The car's braking is unresponsive and frighteningly unsafe on the interstate and city. The power steering is more of a suggestion than an actual option. Terrible understeer. Most days I can only attempt to "guide" it rather than steer it. It's a small cramped vehicle and I'm 5'5 150lbs, no features, uncomfortable, unsafe to drive, and no Anti-Lock Breaks? What is this? The 1980's? Seems like ABS should be a standard safety feature as of 2005.

This car has no features to favorite. Has uncomfortable seats, cramped head room, and I'm only 5'5, peddles too close together. It's easy to hit the break instead of gas, unsafe blind spots. The Cobalt's power steering was recalled. I had this fixed on grandma's car and it never drives a straight line. I'm always in a state of having to overcompensate for it. Breaking is the worst I've seen. My heavy 84' Cadillac Deville breaked similarly to this. This car, over 45mph, feels like it is hydraplaning. Worst gas mileage for the size of the car. My 99' Acura TL which requires premium costs less to operate. This car gets worse gas mileage than the new Ford F-150s.

I suggest that nothing like this vehicle ever be manufactured again. Ford was one of the only American car companies who not only didn't take a bail out but has also stepped up their engineering, suspension, fuel economy. If you want a better value for the money and you like American, Ford is the leader. I'm going to trade this lemon in and buy an Acura/Honda/Nissan/Infiniti. People like foreign cars for good reason. Pay a little more $ and you get a more reliable, safe, comfortable, and better driving car that will have good resale value. The best cars I've owned were Japanese or Ford.

Gas King
By winglimit

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Cobalt since 2007 and the only major problem I've had was my fault (dinged the oil pan). Replaced the engine for less than $1,000 and was back on the road again.

Gas mileage is unparalleled. I usually get 35mpg+, sometimes up to 40mpg on long trips. I drive the hell out of this car and it never skips a beat.

My largest complaints are aesthetic: the model I have (2005 sedan, energy blue) looks cheapish. The interior seats aren't the most comfortable, but it's really only noticeable from the passenger side. >)

As this car ages, a few benign electrical problems have popped up, but nothing serious.

Great value if you're looking for a cheap investment and long-term savings.

Gas mileage! I have a long commute and this little car gets up and goes without sucking up gas. I frequently take long country drives on very little fuel. It's reasonably fast for it's small-sized engine. The top-loading oil filter is pretty handy and unique. The car is low, so you'd need a jack to get under there, but that problem is solved by replacing the filter from the top of the engine.

Interior seats need more padding (at least in my 2005). Could be more stylish. I don't like the auto-arming alarm because I don't have a fob, so it beeps whenever I get in. Needs to have a disable option. Doors covers are unreasonably hard to get into if you need to replace a speaker or switch, but from what I understand this is a Chevy problem and not a Cobalt problem. Not sure if this is true with all Cobalts, but some of the wiring for my headlight assembly just hangs out. Because of this, one of blinkers/parking lights has a short in it. The wires need to be clamped down to the side of the chassis and not allowed to rub against different things. Not a killer, but definitely a pain.