2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
What else can go wrong?
By reallybadcar on 08/22/09 11:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I have had the most trouble with this car, i bought it with 2k miles. Then everything started going wrong. The windows motors stopped at 3k. The steering column had locked up and needed to be replaced, at 12k. At 24k miles, a horrible knocking sound started up, the dealership, said the 2 front struts were faulty, the manifold had a leak in it and needed to be replaced, and the wheel bearings in the front dif were faulty, and of course the supercharger was faulty and was replaced. Cant forget the boost gauge meter went out and needed to be replaced at 8k miles. And now the big pool of water that comes from the leaking ac unit, this is my new fun thing to get fixed, but now its out of warranty

Average, But A Good First Car
By Cris on 07/22/09 08:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it's a good point a to b kind of car it's nothing special but it does what it's supposed to. I got it for around 10k used with 20k miles on it. Not a bad price at all, but unfortunately lacking in features. No power windows/locks; therefore no keyless entry either. It just surprises me that these features aren't standard these days. Every car should have them. The Cobalt is a great car for a first time driver though; it's cheap, fuel efficient, got a little bit of power, and doesn't look half bad in most colors (mine is white and it's really not the best looking color for the car). Standard cruise control would be nice too.

Electric Power Steering As Useless As GM
By sgtsquarepants on 06/26/09 19:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first brand new car I've ever bought. It's now been back to the dealership at least 10 times for various reasons. Half of which Chevy wouldn't fix. Now the topping on the cake is I'm driving down the road and the power steering simply quits. After researching the problem, it appears that this is happening to a HUGE number of vehicles. This is EXACTLY why GM is dying and I say good riddance. I'll never buy a GM product again.

Cobalt supercharged
By ladybug1701 on 06/26/09 14:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I loved this car when I first got it 5 yrs. Ago. Now I hate it the sunroof is messing up. I have had to replace 2nd gear already and that was at 50,000 miles. Now the transmission is going out and that is at 52,284 miles. Also my abs light is coming on and a mechanic informed me that it was my body control module, and there are 17 bcm's on the car. The speakers have static. The glove box makes a noise. Also something in the door rattles. Plus to top it off it has a Saab transmission so you can no longer get parts without a huge hassle. It took me 3 weeks to get parts and that was before gm did away with Saab. Do not buy this car!

Never Buy This Car
By Meg on 06/14/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2008. Been down hill since day 1. W/in the 1st week, the rear passenger window seal was bad, several fuses had to be replaced, the key got stuck in the ignition and the entire steering column was replaced bc it wouldn't lock into gear. Still does it. The glove box rattles, the instrument panel lights don't come on when the headlamps are on. The clock constantly resets itself to 12:00. The trunk now rattles. The plastic interior scratches way too easily. I know it's not a Lexus, but GM could have done a better job. Will never buy GM again. All I can say is you'll defiantly be using that warranty! Be careful!

Amazing first car for teenagers!
By Shay on 04/29/09 15:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad purchased this car for me as my very first car. I was thrilled. We have had it for 4 years and honestly have had no problems! I have a 4cyl so although it's not fast, it has NEVER broken down on me. I cannot find a flaw in it. We have put over 100k miles on it and it still looks and drives as if it was brand new. I definitely recommend this car for anyone looking to make a very good investment. My boyfriend lives an hour away and I have been driving it there and back every weekend for 2 years. It has never given me any kind of problems!

Fun but Unreliable
By Elizabeth on 04/01/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my cobalt when I first got it; it was fun and easy to drive. After the first year or so, a lot started going wrong, however. In the past 2 years I've had to have 2 door handle replacements, the sunroof has gone offtrack twice, & in the past 4 months alone I've had to fix a leak coming from within the hood of the car (they had to remove the passenger seats & headlights to figure out where it was coming from -- cost about $500 to fix), 2 tired replacements (wear very easily), had an alignment, and got a new battery because it went completely dead. Also the cruise control decides when it wants to work.

Good little car, Good mileage.
By kellyraew on 03/16/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, great u-turns, and good mileage. 123,000 miles so far. For the most part, I have been happy with my Cobalt up until recently, and I don't know if I should blame the car or my teen who drives it a lot! The key gets stuck in the ignition, and if I pull back gently on the shift lever while in PARK, the ignition locks so the key will come out. The radio/cd player has locked up on it own a couple of times, but then unlocks itself. Check engine goes on and off occasionally, and ENGINE POWER REDUCED too. But I shut down the car, restart it 20 min later and the problem goes away. Might have faulty PCM, heard there is a bulletin out on that particular Cobalt problem.

And people wonder why GM is in trouble
By John on 03/10/09 22:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive, and gets great mileage. However, it is NOT reliable. I have had the rear seal replaced at 32K miles because of a sudden and massive oil leak. The interior components are of a quality that is below a Barbie toy corvette. I think it is the same plastic, minus the pink color. The latest thing is failure to start at 62k miles. No one has a clue what is wrong with it, because there are no engine codes stored in the computer! It is barely over the 60k limit, and I am now stuck with a 3200lb paper weight. Maybe GM should close up shop. This will be the last GM vehicle I own after many years of patronage.

You better have that warranty
By Cody on 02/27/09 16:22 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

steering gear went out, windows vision warped, rotors warped, car interior RATTLES, glove box rattles, exhaust heat shield makes vibrating sounds, steering clunks over dips. Look people this is common for cobalts. I'll be honest, don't buy this car. Great power, and handling but things will break. It's not a maybe. This car isn't a lemon either... this is very common issues. Without the warranty your looking at a big issue. This is a cheaply made car. GM is failing and I don't care because this is what they sell. Go buy a Nissan, don't waste your money for god sake don't make the mistake I did.