2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Fun but Unreliable
By Elizabeth on 04/01/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my cobalt when I first got it; it was fun and easy to drive. After the first year or so, a lot started going wrong, however. In the past 2 years I've had to have 2 door handle replacements, the sunroof has gone offtrack twice, & in the past 4 months alone I've had to fix a leak coming from within the hood of the car (they had to remove the passenger seats & headlights to figure out where it was coming from -- cost about $500 to fix), 2 tired replacements (wear very easily), had an alignment, and got a new battery because it went completely dead. Also the cruise control decides when it wants to work.

Good little car, Good mileage.
By kellyraew on 03/16/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, great u-turns, and good mileage. 123,000 miles so far. For the most part, I have been happy with my Cobalt up until recently, and I don't know if I should blame the car or my teen who drives it a lot! The key gets stuck in the ignition, and if I pull back gently on the shift lever while in PARK, the ignition locks so the key will come out. The radio/cd player has locked up on it own a couple of times, but then unlocks itself. Check engine goes on and off occasionally, and ENGINE POWER REDUCED too. But I shut down the car, restart it 20 min later and the problem goes away. Might have faulty PCM, heard there is a bulletin out on that particular Cobalt problem.

And people wonder why GM is in trouble
By John on 03/10/09 22:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive, and gets great mileage. However, it is NOT reliable. I have had the rear seal replaced at 32K miles because of a sudden and massive oil leak. The interior components are of a quality that is below a Barbie toy corvette. I think it is the same plastic, minus the pink color. The latest thing is failure to start at 62k miles. No one has a clue what is wrong with it, because there are no engine codes stored in the computer! It is barely over the 60k limit, and I am now stuck with a 3200lb paper weight. Maybe GM should close up shop. This will be the last GM vehicle I own after many years of patronage.

two ton paperweight
By Leah on 02/07/09 11:17 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i previously had a 97 grand am and i think that ran better than the cobalt sometimes, considering it had over 180,000 miles on it. i just don't get how you all get like 45 miles a gallon geeez thats unreal well i only get 21.1 right now. it's around 25 in the summertime. well the only problems ive brought to a shop were the alignment and tire balance. the tires that come with it are no good and had constnat slow leaks. it also has a problem with the radio oncce in a while it works when it wants to. i dont like how it didnt come with floormats either. anyways ive got in 3 accidents since getting this car and it still runs decently.

Trustworthy
By John on 01/20/09 04:23 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This has been one my better vehicles ever. Except for a factory replacement of the fuel level sending unit a few days after purchase, (it wasn't gauging correctly), I've had no problems. My wife uses it for a 50 mile daily commute and it keeps on going. It still runs like brand new and drives as straight as new, hasn't needed an alignment as of yet.

Chevy Cobalts. Good Gas Mileage. Reliable
By Mike on 11/02/08 09:16 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I own a 2005 Chevy Cobalt LT 4 Door sedan, and I must say that this car has been extremely reliable. I average about 800 - 1000 miles a week driving on this car for work, and it has held up well. It currently has 166,000 miles on it and no major work needed. I don't care what people say about Chevy and GM, they do make wonderful cars. We also own a 2001 Malibu with 232,000 miles on it. An 2006 Equinox with only 19,000 miles on it and a new 2009 Cadillac CTS. All have required only minor work and maintenance done to them. If you keep up with the maintenance they will be reliable cars. We have twins that will be driving soon, and they will be getting the ever reliable Malibu and Cobalt

It's a gamble
By Gene on 10/22/08 05:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Based on the other reviews it's clear that if you get a sound Cobalt it's a good purchase. The car my wife and I bought was dangerous right off the bat. Aprox. 2 weeks after purchase while going 40-45 mph the car died. A wiring harness had to be replaced. Since then it's been back to the dealership for numerous repairs.

It's OK, if you have no other choice
By Leona on 10/04/08 20:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car 4 years ago (in January) and when the lease is up, it's gone! Don't get me wrong, the car gets great mileage, and it's fun to just step on the gas and go! But it's a really light vehicle, and I get afraid of driving thru a puddle on the highway. I've had to bring it to get fixed twice, and it's had a recall. The gas gauge also never says that the tank is completely full, something that's evidently a recurring, "accepted", problem for Chevy cars..

So happy
By kayla on 08/26/08 09:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Cobalt for 2 reasons. It's mileage was 10x better then my Jeep, and secondly my boyfriend who happens to be 6'5 could actually drive it. It's great for long trips and does wonderful in Indiana's winter season.

This car has been fantastic!
By Brent on 07/13/08 23:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife brand new and we currently have 37,000 miles on it. Other than having the key get stuck in the ignition (fixed under warranty) and replacing front brake pads, we haven't touched the car. It gets great gas mileage and looks good to boot. Could'nt ask for anything better.