Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Worst Car I've Ever Owned/Driven
By apex32

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased this from ailing grandma. I've driven and owned both American and foreign cars. Long and short of it, a '99 Ford Focus with 190Kmiles and a broken head gasket drives better than the cobalt with less than 16K miles on it. The car's braking is unresponsive and frighteningly unsafe on the interstate and city. The power steering is more of a suggestion than an actual option. Terrible understeer. Most days I can only attempt to "guide" it rather than steer it. It's a small cramped vehicle and I'm 5'5 150lbs, no features, uncomfortable, unsafe to drive, and no Anti-Lock Breaks? What is this? The 1980's? Seems like ABS should be a standard safety feature as of 2005.

This car has no features to favorite. Has uncomfortable seats, cramped head room, and I'm only 5'5, peddles too close together. It's easy to hit the break instead of gas, unsafe blind spots. The Cobalt's power steering was recalled. I had this fixed on grandma's car and it never drives a straight line. I'm always in a state of having to overcompensate for it. Breaking is the worst I've seen. My heavy 84' Cadillac Deville breaked similarly to this. This car, over 45mph, feels like it is hydraplaning. Worst gas mileage for the size of the car. My 99' Acura TL which requires premium costs less to operate. This car gets worse gas mileage than the new Ford F-150s.

I suggest that nothing like this vehicle ever be manufactured again. Ford was one of the only American car companies who not only didn't take a bail out but has also stepped up their engineering, suspension, fuel economy. If you want a better value for the money and you like American, Ford is the leader. I'm going to trade this lemon in and buy an Acura/Honda/Nissan/Infiniti. People like foreign cars for good reason. Pay a little more $ and you get a more reliable, safe, comfortable, and better driving car that will have good resale value. The best cars I've owned were Japanese or Ford.

Gas King
By winglimit

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Cobalt since 2007 and the only major problem I've had was my fault (dinged the oil pan). Replaced the engine for less than $1,000 and was back on the road again.

Gas mileage is unparalleled. I usually get 35mpg+, sometimes up to 40mpg on long trips. I drive the hell out of this car and it never skips a beat.

My largest complaints are aesthetic: the model I have (2005 sedan, energy blue) looks cheapish. The interior seats aren't the most comfortable, but it's really only noticeable from the passenger side. >)

As this car ages, a few benign electrical problems have popped up, but nothing serious.

Great value if you're looking for a cheap investment and long-term savings.

Gas mileage! I have a long commute and this little car gets up and goes without sucking up gas. I frequently take long country drives on very little fuel. It's reasonably fast for it's small-sized engine. The top-loading oil filter is pretty handy and unique. The car is low, so you'd need a jack to get under there, but that problem is solved by replacing the filter from the top of the engine.

Interior seats need more padding (at least in my 2005). Could be more stylish. I don't like the auto-arming alarm because I don't have a fob, so it beeps whenever I get in. Needs to have a disable option. Doors covers are unreasonably hard to get into if you need to replace a speaker or switch, but from what I understand this is a Chevy problem and not a Cobalt problem. Not sure if this is true with all Cobalts, but some of the wiring for my headlight assembly just hangs out. Because of this, one of blinkers/parking lights has a short in it. The wires need to be clamped down to the side of the chassis and not allowed to rub against different things. Not a killer, but definitely a pain.

I have a orange 2005 chevy and i love it
By tricia23sc

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am 23 years old and bought my car when i was 21. I have never had a issue with it except for the basics to keep it in good shape. I live in south carolina and the back roads aren't rough on my car but i do live in florida as well and the heat doesnt ruin the paint job. It gets great highway mileage as well as city, it costs me 40 bucks to fill up with gas prices $3.09 i am a college student so traveling is a must. If i was to recommend a car it would be this one! especially to any young driver or someone who wants a reliable car.

My car has over 100,000 miles and still runs great since day one

the radio works great, good speakers. the car isn't loud running also a plus! smooth riding but can get up and go, nice traveling car (has a big deep trunk) outside holds up to any other car i have had

New wheels
By kiki24

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i am a very pleased driver and owner of my fab new car that is perfect for me!!! its sleek and cool and cute just like me ;). and i love my dealer that sold me the car. mike c at barbabrino nissan in wallingford, ct

power

Amazing car!
By amazing car!

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car in April of this year. I'm a 16 year old girl and this is my first car. I have a 2 door lt orange car automatic w. Leather seats. I absolutely love this car! I couldn't have picked a better one! I love driving it and its very reliable. I haven't had anything go wrong with it which is good. But it is a great car for new drivers! I would definitely recommend this car!

heated leather seats. automatic windows. sub woofer great steering easy to park

none!