2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews 3

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

2005 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Electric Power Steering As Useless As GM
By sgtsquarepants

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first brand new car I've ever bought. It's now been back to the dealership at least 10 times for various reasons. Half of which Chevy wouldn't fix. Now the topping on the cake is I'm driving down the road and the power steering simply quits. After researching the problem, it appears that this is happening to a HUGE number of vehicles. This is EXACTLY why GM is dying and I say good riddance. I'll never buy a GM product again.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Recall the steering problem.

Never Buy This Car
By Meg

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2008. Been down hill since day 1. W/in the 1st week, the rear passenger window seal was bad, several fuses had to be replaced, the key got stuck in the ignition and the entire steering column was replaced bc it wouldn't lock into gear. Still does it. The glove box rattles, the instrument panel lights don't come on when the headlamps are on. The clock constantly resets itself to 12:00. The trunk now rattles. The plastic interior scratches way too easily. I know it's not a Lexus, but GM could have done a better job. Will never buy GM again. All I can say is you'll defiantly be using that warranty! Be careful!

Favorite Features

The ride is nice. It looks good, when the paint doesn't chip off. Comfortable for long rides. Gas mileage is good- 50 mile commute each day. Average sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality parts, period. We're all having trouble these days & the last thing we need is to invest more money into something that was so poorly built. Make more things standard, like windows and locks. It's 2009!

Amazing first car for teenagers!
By Shay

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad purchased this car for me as my very first car. I was thrilled. We have had it for 4 years and honestly have had no problems! I have a 4cyl so although it's not fast, it has NEVER broken down on me. I cannot find a flaw in it. We have put over 100k miles on it and it still looks and drives as if it was brand new. I definitely recommend this car for anyone looking to make a very good investment. My boyfriend lives an hour away and I have been driving it there and back every weekend for 2 years. It has never given me any kind of problems!

Favorite Features

Handling, gas mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

This car has no flaws.

Fun but Unreliable
By Elizabeth

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my cobalt when I first got it; it was fun and easy to drive. After the first year or so, a lot started going wrong, however. In the past 2 years I've had to have 2 door handle replacements, the sunroof has gone offtrack twice, & in the past 4 months alone I've had to fix a leak coming from within the hood of the car (they had to remove the passenger seats & headlights to figure out where it was coming from -- cost about $500 to fix), 2 tired replacements (wear very easily), had an alignment, and got a new battery because it went completely dead. Also the cruise control decides when it wants to work.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

If more time and money was spent on making this car it would be perfect, but it is just too unreliable.

Good little car, Good mileage.
By kellyraew

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, great u-turns, and good mileage. 123,000 miles so far. For the most part, I have been happy with my Cobalt up until recently, and I don't know if I should blame the car or my teen who drives it a lot! The key gets stuck in the ignition, and if I pull back gently on the shift lever while in PARK, the ignition locks so the key will come out. The radio/cd player has locked up on it own a couple of times, but then unlocks itself. Check engine goes on and off occasionally, and ENGINE POWER REDUCED too. But I shut down the car, restart it 20 min later and the problem goes away. Might have faulty PCM, heard there is a bulletin out on that particular Cobalt problem.

Favorite Features

Quick, cute car, fun to drive, good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Paint chipped off the radio buttons. Check engine light issues.

And people wonder why GM is in trouble
By John

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive, and gets great mileage. However, it is NOT reliable. I have had the rear seal replaced at 32K miles because of a sudden and massive oil leak. The interior components are of a quality that is below a Barbie toy corvette. I think it is the same plastic, minus the pink color. The latest thing is failure to start at 62k miles. No one has a clue what is wrong with it, because there are no engine codes stored in the computer! It is barely over the 60k limit, and I am now stuck with a 3200lb paper weight. Maybe GM should close up shop. This will be the last GM vehicle I own after many years of patronage.

Favorite Features

Good performance (when it runs), tight turn radius, clean exterior lines

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of all of the computer BS. Get back to basics on engine operations. Electronics don't fare well in high heat and vibration. So, why in the hell do they put this stuff under the hood in the presence of high heat and vibration. Would you sit a plasma TV, or a PS3 in there? I rest my case.

two ton paperweight
By Leah

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i previously had a 97 grand am and i think that ran better than the cobalt sometimes, considering it had over 180,000 miles on it. i just don't get how you all get like 45 miles a gallon geeez thats unreal well i only get 21.1 right now. it's around 25 in the summertime. well the only problems ive brought to a shop were the alignment and tire balance. the tires that come with it are no good and had constnat slow leaks. it also has a problem with the radio oncce in a while it works when it wants to. i dont like how it didnt come with floormats either. anyways ive got in 3 accidents since getting this car and it still runs decently.

Favorite Features

the digital thing that tells me my mileage and stuff

Suggested Improvements

interior appearance, smoother ride, better mileage?

Trustworthy
By John

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This has been one my better vehicles ever. Except for a factory replacement of the fuel level sending unit a few days after purchase, (it wasn't gauging correctly), I've had no problems. My wife uses it for a 50 mile daily commute and it keeps on going. It still runs like brand new and drives as straight as new, hasn't needed an alignment as of yet.

Favorite Features

Acceleration is brisk and handling is more than sufficient for crowded freeway driving. Responsive brakes and smooth ride. Oil changes are a breeze. The fold-down back seats have been more than handy.

Suggested Improvements

Occasional glitches in the automatic shift lever, you have to be careful with the lock button. The window noise at road speed is a bit annoying. The stock stereo is a bit anemic, I replaced the door speakers with aftermarket and that helped.

Chevy Cobalts. Good Gas Mileage. Reliable
By Mike

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I own a 2005 Chevy Cobalt LT 4 Door sedan, and I must say that this car has been extremely reliable. I average about 800 - 1000 miles a week driving on this car for work, and it has held up well. It currently has 166,000 miles on it and no major work needed. I don't care what people say about Chevy and GM, they do make wonderful cars. We also own a 2001 Malibu with 232,000 miles on it. An 2006 Equinox with only 19,000 miles on it and a new 2009 Cadillac CTS. All have required only minor work and maintenance done to them. If you keep up with the maintenance they will be reliable cars. We have twins that will be driving soon, and they will be getting the ever reliable Malibu and Cobalt

Favorite Features

Fuel economy is excellent. I average around 30 - 34 MPG with mixed highway and city driving in Southern California.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could be redesigned.

It's a gamble
By Gene

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Based on the other reviews it's clear that if you get a sound Cobalt it's a good purchase. The car my wife and I bought was dangerous right off the bat. Aprox. 2 weeks after purchase while going 40-45 mph the car died. A wiring harness had to be replaced. Since then it's been back to the dealership for numerous repairs.

Favorite Features

The car's peppy.

Suggested Improvements

Don't turn such a poorly executed car loose on the public. For a few dollars more per unit you could have made a great little car.