Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 248 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Loyal to GM
By Beanie

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from a long line of GM owners, and not able to pass on "employee discount" offer, I decided fuel economy and style were #1 considerations. I chose the Cobalt LS 5-speed. Am getting 28.5MPG only if I drive like Grandma, but it's better than GMC Jimmy was achieving. Fun car despite only a 4 cyl, but wouldn't get an automatic! Performance doesn't compare to my old '88 Z24 5-speed, but I'm still getting there in style and on less gas.

Premium sound system w/10" woofer in trunk really rocks! Handling is good, so is acceleration. Like the fuel economy, but it could be better, so I don't love it. Huge trunk, but opening is too small.

Needs rear window wiper! Seats too hard and don't hug you. Raw edges of fabric exposed, inside molding rattles-bad assembly. And what were they thinking putting fabric on door arm rests and vinyl on vertical door parts? First time I opened door in rain, resulted in fabric separation from foam.

Fun at a low price tag
By kris

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a fun cruise around the city and it has a whole lot of acceleration. It lacks a little in the handling but it makes up in the style and design.

The body design and the engines power have to be my favorite features.

What needs to be improved is the handling and it needs a better interior and a little faster acceleration.

Looks aren't everything
By Robert

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved the look of the Cobalt and the practicallity of it. I bought it for my wife. At first she loved it. Good gas mileage, ran great. However all good things must come to an end. Shortly after purchase it started to fall apart. At first it was minor things and now pretty major. At least that's what I assumed when the dealers mechanics wanted to give me a rental but couldn't without GM's permission. This problem is still not solved and if and when I ever buy brand new again, it certainly will not be for looks or fuel economy. It will be by company and manufactures ratings, even if that means paying more for a good reliable car.

I like the look. The leather heated seats are a plus. The mp3 player and satellite radio are a bonus. The trunk is of good size.

I think that before rushing to get a new vehicle on the market, they need to make sure that the builders and manufacturers are all up to par. Make sure engines are up to standards, and if alot people have the same problems then fix them in a timely manner and let other owners know what is going wro

Not too shabby
By Franko

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I purchased the Cobalt last August, within 2 weeks abs and t/c light came on. Took it in dealership 4 times to get it fixed. So far no light has been on. I got the satin interior and the "paint" is starting to chip and come off. This is not suppose to happen being a 9 month old car. Interior is somewhat cheap looking, but performance and gas mileage is great as long as you don't have a lead foot. Hardly any room for backseat passengers.

The ride is nice. Stereo is very good but they slipped in low grade Pioneer speakers. Plenty of pep. Dash lighting. Don't have to spend much on gas.

Make the satin parts made of metal not sprayed on paint on plastic. I was in a Scion XB and it had metal for trim pieces. Wish they designed it so I could do my own rotation of tires with only one jack. Need better selection of aftermarket items.

Fun Fuel Efficient Vehicle
By Eric

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. Owned for 4 months now and put 3000 miles on it. Got 25mpg in winter and now with 50 degree spring weather im up to 29.9mph according to the digital read out. The 2.2L engine gives it plenty of get up and go. Purchased the base model 2 door, with only power locks and keyless entry. Good buy for under $14,000. No mechical problems so far except a computer upgrade that was needed for the crankshaft sensor.

Digital readout: trip, coolant, mileage, oil life, avg speed and MPG. The back end of the 2 door coupe cobalts really suckered me into buying it. I love how the rear of the car looks more than any other car.

Need better OEM tires. Had my stock ones replaced. Were an accident waiting to happen in winter. If your going to be driving in winter were you received snow accumulations of a foot or more just overnight I recommend a different car. There just isn't enough ground clearence.