2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Too many problems
By Dayna on 06/09/10 09:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Granted, I bought my car used from a used dealership I'm reading all the above problems from all other consumers and find I'm having the same problems! Struts! Radio locking up! The metal lining on interior doors chipped and very sharp! Power steering! Shakes when I go to a stop like its going to stall out on me and now the car won't even start! The engine light just comes on!

Happy with the car
By 2005 Chevy Cobalt on 04/19/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with 27,000 miles on it and now it has 90,000+. The car has been great for us, as we have had absolutely no problems. It is a lot more fun to drive than the other economy cars. Ours is fairly loaded with the bigger tires and alloy wheels, and the spoiler. We still get compliments on the appearance of the car. Our city MPG averages about 24, and we get about 30 in the highway.

take care of it/takes care of me
By steve on 03/03/10 18:02 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 4 door base model cobalt new 09/05. I bought a "cheap" model, so, my expectations were commensurate. 79,520 miles later I am quite pleased with my investment. Only problems to date, ignition coil went out at 23,000 miles, warranty replacement. Also, A/C evap drain was plugged with insulation on the firewall, allowing condensate water to drain inside the vehicle passenger side front. this I found myself, after dealer said no problems detected. Tire pressures checked min. of twice/week. rotate every 5,000 miles along with the oil changes, only have used synthetic 5/30. new air filter every 10k, replace HVAC filter spring/fall, plugs every 25,000 miles. fun to drive and own!

Too Many Problems
By April on 02/04/10 07:22 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new and soon after had AC/Heat problems. Dealer fixed those. Replaced tires not long after that. Car always pulls to the left. Interior is breaking and chipping. Had to have a shifting solenoid replaced. A/C started leaking into the car after the warranty was up. We were told it was over-charged and would correct itself (not true). Had to replace tires again. Shifter wouldn't go into park so unable to turn car off. Way too many problems for a new car.

Great car so far
By jo26 on 11/10/09 09:56 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great so far. I bought it over two years ago and it is currently at around 60000 miles. The car gets fairly good miles per gallon, but it goes down considerably when you drive above 65 miles/hour. The cost of the car is also very affordable. (kind of a long cons list, but they are all pretty minor things)

this is why imports are better
By jhodges83@yahoo.com on 11/05/09 08:47 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've always had import cars. I've had an 02 eclipse and a 03 Audi 1.8t. Due to the economy and a recent child I need to get something a little more reasonable. I found an 05 cobalt an decided to buy it. Well now I've had it for a month an I'm mad about it. The thing is junk. It looks like a big piece of plastic. The inside looks looks cheaply made. Even my base eclipse looked an drove a of a lot better then this.

POWER STEERING
By TODD W. on 10/26/09 18:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt is a fun car to scoot around town but the reliability of this vehicle severely lacks the dependability that a Chevy product should have. This is the 2nd time I've had to put vehicle in shop because of the power steering problem. If dealership can't fix the problem, why don't they admit to it and possibly buyout the vehicle or offer a refund on balance of loan - to put toward another vehicle (not GM). This continuing problem has changed my mind about GM products (not to the better).

Average, But A Good First Car
By Cris on 07/22/09 08:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it's a good point a to b kind of car it's nothing special but it does what it's supposed to. I got it for around 10k used with 20k miles on it. Not a bad price at all, but unfortunately lacking in features. No power windows/locks; therefore no keyless entry either. It just surprises me that these features aren't standard these days. Every car should have them. The Cobalt is a great car for a first time driver though; it's cheap, fuel efficient, got a little bit of power, and doesn't look half bad in most colors (mine is white and it's really not the best looking color for the car). Standard cruise control would be nice too.

Electric Power Steering As Useless As GM
By sgtsquarepants on 06/26/09 19:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first brand new car I've ever bought. It's now been back to the dealership at least 10 times for various reasons. Half of which Chevy wouldn't fix. Now the topping on the cake is I'm driving down the road and the power steering simply quits. After researching the problem, it appears that this is happening to a HUGE number of vehicles. This is EXACTLY why GM is dying and I say good riddance. I'll never buy a GM product again.

Never Buy This Car
By Meg on 06/14/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2008. Been down hill since day 1. W/in the 1st week, the rear passenger window seal was bad, several fuses had to be replaced, the key got stuck in the ignition and the entire steering column was replaced bc it wouldn't lock into gear. Still does it. The glove box rattles, the instrument panel lights don't come on when the headlamps are on. The clock constantly resets itself to 12:00. The trunk now rattles. The plastic interior scratches way too easily. I know it's not a Lexus, but GM could have done a better job. Will never buy GM again. All I can say is you'll defiantly be using that warranty! Be careful!